Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone use the Coastal Scents eyeshadow Palettes?

On 2/22/2015 Jerseygirl1266 said:

I think they are OK for the price and nice for beginners who want to play with color but nowhere near the quality of Lorac, Urban Decay, Tom Ford, etc. Considering how long shadows last, I now only buy higher end, but if you want a cheaper alternative my sister has told me she is loving markeup geek (youtube guru)! Absolutely amazing quality!

Makeup geek seems to be all the rage lately. Also, Pop Colour seems to be trending, I think that is what they are called. I have been tempted but will hold off since I have bought a lot lately so just want to start using some of it. But, Pop colour looks interesting as well.
Honored Contributor

On 2/22/2015 MissKlynn said:

I paid around $20 for the pots and the 28 piece empty palette together. They also have a 12 piece empty palette for even less. Keep in mind I got everything 50% off, so 17 hot pots @ $0.98 ea and the 28 palette for 4.98. They do have half off hot pot sales several times a year.

The two greens I have definitely lean more on the gold side with a green tint, with Gypsy Green having more green to it than Golden Avocado... but only slight. Golden Avocado is very golden. They both have great dimension in that the color shifts at different angles. Probably not what you want though, maybe not enough green.

My favorite green/gold is Tarte shadow stick in Moss Green, this is the perfect olive green with gold dimension. But I know your not OK with Tarte anymore Smiley Sad.

Thank you for all the great info. I actually really like the idea of more golden and less green but a green component so the golden avocado sounds more up my alley.

Yeah, I have to forgo tarte now. Sounds pretty though. I tried one that looks kind of similar by Lorac and it swatches nice on my hand but on my eyes it just looks, well, dark and no dimensions. Kind of muddy.

Super Contributor

I believe these are made in China. Many people like them and their prices.
Honored Contributor

I think they are OK for the price and nice for beginners who want to play with color but nowhere near the quality of Lorac, Urban Decay, Tom Ford, etc. Considering how long shadows last, I now only buy higher end, but if you want a cheaper alternative my sister has told me she is loving markeup geek (youtube guru)! Absolutely amazing quality!

I already own some from the brands you mention but they don't have the colors I am looking for and most are no longer cruelty free (or never were) so they are a pass for me.

Honored Contributor

On 2/22/2015 MissKlynn said:

Forest Eve and Kiwi Green look like pretty green/golds!

Forest Eve Image result for coastal scents

Kiwi Green Image result for coastal scents forest eve

those are super green! Smiley Happy

I really like that Ashen color on the swatch, lol!

Trusted Contributor

On 2/22/2015 HappyDaze said:

I already own some from the brands you mention but they don't have the colors I am looking for and most are no longer cruelty free (or never were) so they are a pass for me.

Try makeupgeek - definitely cruelty free, but if you want certain colors that only CS has then sure, go for it just don't expect the same blendeability and texture of higher end. I also found them to be rather chalky (especially the matte shades).

Regular Contributor

Yes and I have for years. As a matter of fact I'm getting ready to order a new palette, I've hit pan on many of the colors. I get the 88 warm eyeshadow palette. I have blue/green/gray eyes.

For the price, I don't think Coastal Scents can be beat. I will add, I use a eyeshadow primer (The Balm) every day, which helps with staying power.