Trusted Contributor

I recently bought a 3 in 1 and used it and felt nothing at all.  Is that normal?  Skin is not smooth.  What am I doing wrong and can someone recommend a good epilator?  The shaver on mine is excellent, but the epilator not so much ... any information or guidance is appreciated. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone use an epilator?

[ Edited ]

I have epilated for a long time in conjunction with home laser. Not much hair left to be honest! I did have LOTS of hair!

I have had a number of epilators, they have gotten better as time goes by. My favorite one is Emjoi, a corded version that I got at QVC. I went and looked but they are not carrying it now.

When I first started epilating I did it a few times a week, hair grows in cycles so I wanted to make sure I was getting it all.

I always exfoliate first with a sugar scrub, then epilate after a shower. Hold the skin taut and follow the instructions per the unit. I have a high pain tolerance, so it has never bothered me, I don't even feel it anymore, a razor cut would be more painful!

It does take some time but I always thought it was worth it. Smooth and no hair. It's weeks for me now if at all! Persistance is key. I think so many people give up on it.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Frequent Contributor

Purchased the Emjoi from the Q and I never epilated before..OMG..it hurts around the lip area but I guess I felt it was suppossed to. Since I have blond peachfuzz, I now think it looks darker around the lip area but that's just me.

Honored Contributor

I'm also an Emjoi owner, have actually owned two. I prefer the corded version nowadays as well - think it's called the eMagine (there have been several Emjoi models) - it's either that or the eRase (can't remember).  Mine has a safety guard but I always take it off so I can get closer.  When I went through menopause, all of my leg hair traveled north so I have to be pretty diligent in taking care of my chinny chin chin.  I also use it for my armpits. My legs, on the other hand, can be left alone and feel like a baby's, well, you know.  As for the corded version, no, you can't sit and watch tv while you do it unless you're near an outlet.  For me, that's not an issue.  I use mine in my bathroom and like that the power is strong and consistent from being connected to an outlet.  I use it on dry skin.  The one thing about epilating, when first starting, is that you have to wait for the hairs to get long enough for the tweezers to be able to grab them.  That said, you have to be diligent, doing it almost every day at first, since a hair that was too short to grab one day will be long enough within the next day or two.  As you get into epilating regularly the hair thins out and takes longer to grow, but sometimes you get an overnight surprise.  All in all, though, it's better than plucking or shaving, IMO. 

Trusted Contributor

I guess maybe that's what I'm doing wrong - not waiting for the hair to grow in at all and epilating right after using shaver.  Will try waiting a few days.  I'm blonde so it's not noticeable and I don't wear skirts or dresses regularly, but just bought a couple hi-low dresses and want smooth legs.  Thank you ladies for your input.  I appreciate it and know I can always count on these boards for information.

Honored Contributor

I purchased a small, battery operated, one on Amazon (emjoi) for about $20.00.

Works great on my chinny chin chin! (but still hurts!)

But that's facial hair. Using one on your legs is much different (sensationwise) but you will definitely feel it if it's yanking a hair out.

Honored Contributor

I only tried to use it on my legs and underarms and they hurt wayyyy too much for me to continue using it. I have a pretty high pain tolerance and it was unbearable, especially under arms. It would be worth it if it were a permanent hair solution but since you still have to do it every few weeks or so, no thanks!

Honored Contributor

I've had the emjoi eRase that was the TSV 2 years ago. I love that thing. It stung the first time and after that it didn't bother me. Now I don't even feel it. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I have the Emjoi Erase also.

It does hurt a bit on the upper lip, but I've used it long enough now that I barely feel it on my legs, chin and side of face. I had laser on my underarms, so don't need to use anything there.

I am extremely pleased with the performance on my legs. I am to the point now I only have to do it once per month and my legs have never, ever been so smooth.  I haven't touched my razor in months.

~Enough is enough~
Respected Contributor

I bought the electric Emjoi about a year ago. I have psoriasis and let me tell you, when you use a razor on legs with psoriasis patcches it is awful. I had to do something! I am now on Humira for my psoriasis and it's great but I occasionally get a patch or two on my legs. Emjoi has made it way better for hair removal.  I'm not gonna lie, at first I was like omg this hurts, especially my underarms but I've stuck with it and I still use it about once a week. I can't wait till the time when I will only have to use it monthly, but it's only been a year and I don't mind doing it. I am so glad I got it and stuck with it!