Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone use Castor Oil for hair loss or on their eyelashes?

I applied castor oil to the base of my lashes for several months and although it was slightly sticky, I did experience some improvement in my lashes...thickness as well as length. Just got to the point of not wanting to go through the sticky oily mess so now I use Isomers Copper-P serum on the base of my lashes and brows which, for me, has worked much better and there's no sticky oily mess either.Woman Happy

Respected Contributor

@grandma2pkmhwrote:

@wvumountiefan  Never heard of hair loss as being a side effect of Humira. I have been taking it since it became available and still my hair dresser has to thin my hair at least every 3 months.  It's strange how medicines affect people differently.

Yes, it is strange. The only change in any of my meds has been the Humira and all my lab work has been fine. I had a long conversation with my dermatologist and she said, just because they don’t include a side effect on the ads doesn’t mean that it wouldn’t be the cause. She said well she couldn’t say it is the cause, but also couldn’t rule it out. She said some may have different opinions. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I just came from the eye Dr after experiencing annoying irritation.  He said, if the oil glands in the lids get blocked, all kinds of things go on, but mainly dry eye.  it's said to be age related, but thick topicals applied to the eye area can worsen an existing problem.  He gave me remedies, but I'll be very careful what I use around my eyes...especially creams that say to apply all around the eye.   The skin around the eye is thinnest, and some products may penetrate.   I wouldn't use castor oil.

Valued Contributor

@grandma2pkmhwrote:

@wvumountiefan  Never heard of hair loss as being a side effect of Humira. I have been taking it since it became available and still my hair dresser has to thin my hair at least every 3 months.  It's strange how medicines affect people differently.

@grandma2pkmh @wvumountiefan My husband has also been on it since it was first introduced (switched over from Raptiva that was pulled off the market) and he too still has a thick head of hair in his mid 40's.His head of hair is the envy of all his guy friends who are mostly bald or balding,even younger guys than himself. Derfinately no hair loss from Humira for him, nor anyone we know that uses it. I've honestly never heard of that as a side effect!

Honored Contributor

@sonechkoAs a teen I used it on my eyelashes.

Honored Contributor

Try one of the Black Castor Oils Shea Terra Organics sells. She has one with rosemary & carrot seed oil which are also good for the scalp/ hair growth. You could mix with aloe vera which is good for scalp/hair growth. I could not imagine using castor oil on it's own as thick & sticky it is. Mixing with something else will make it easier to rinse. I read using conditioner first then shampoo helps with removal. I have already been mixing argan or jojoba oil with rosemary & a few other oils for my thinning hair. I'm sure it will takes months to work. You can read about rosemary oil vs minoxidil.

Contributor

This recipe was on Pinterest:

You’ll Need:
  • 1 tbsp castor oil
  • 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
Directions:
  1. In a small bowl, mix the two oils together until well combined.
  2. Place in a small, clean container, such as a lip balm/gloss tin.
How to Use the Miracle Serum:

1. Every night before bed, start by removing all makeup, including and especially eye makeup such as mascara, eyeliner, etc.
  2. Follow up with your regular moisturizing routine.
  3. Use a cotton swab or your finger to apply a small amount of the miracle serum right onto the base of your lashes.
  4. If you’d like fuller brows, you can also apply the serum directly to your brows.
Why This Works:
  • Castor oil contains ricinoleic acid which is one of the key components of any hair growth serum.
  • It is proven that castor oil can make hair grow faster than any other oil, including coconut oil.
  • Coconut oil is an amazing moisturizer, which, when combined with castor oil nourish your eyelashes, moisturizes them, and encourages strong and quick hair growth.

***Apply the serum every night before bed, and you should see your eyelashes start growing within 1 week***

Respected Contributor

@ValentinaBonwrote:

@grandma2pkmhwrote:

@grandma2pkmh @wvumountiefan My husband has also been on it since it was first introduced (switched over from Raptiva that was pulled off the market) and he too still has a thick head of hair in his mid 40's.His head of hair is the envy of all his guy friends who are mostly bald or balding,even younger guys than himself. Derfinately no hair loss from Humira for him, nor anyone we know that uses it. I've honestly never heard of that as a side effect!

Okay, I simply wanted info about castor oil, not a debate about side effects from a med. I have a friend who is on Humira and is going bald... I’m a nurse but not a scientist AF I just wanted opinions about the oil. 

Respected Contributor

What is the trick for applying oil to lashes?  The last time I tried, the oil would always migrate into my eyes overnight and my vision would be blurry in the morning,

My vision started staying blurry for longer and longer periods, so I stopped using it. The eyelash oil was from a reputable source - the Garden of Wisdom. 

I like the the idea of using something natural on my eyes.

Regular Contributor

@wvumountiefan, it's funny you ask this. I get my brows threaded and some of the spots in my brows are thin. The lady who threads them suggested using castor oil to encourage hair growth in my brows. I looked around for it, but never ended up buying. Curious to see if anyone has had any positive results.