Valued Contributor

Anyone try the new acne OTC Differin yet, & if so...

Can you tell me your experience, please? Specifically is this drying to your skin? My skin hates benzoyl peroxide. This always makes my skin crusty & dry & flaky for days and days. Salisylic acid doesn't dry my skin biut I don't think it's as effective. I have the 30 day supply of the Differin but am scared to use it. I don't want to deal with weeks of dry peeling skin. Thank you for any information you can give me...

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone try the new acne OTC Differin yet, & if so...

I don't know if the OTC version is gel or cream. I have used the cream for years and it is more moisturizing than the gel. I  would suggest starting slowly, maybe every other night and see how your skin reacts. 

Valued Contributor

Yes, I forgot to mention that it's the gel form... supposedly this otc version is the lower % of the prescription that comes in 2 different strength. Th direction says to apply on the entire face even if you only break out on your chin area consistently. I once tried the skinceutical's retinol 0.5% and thought my face would fall off! I became so red and dry I was peeing for weeks after I stopped ! So, I am extremely paranoid about retinol based products. I want to just apply this on the area of concern, but the direction says it is not for spot treatment and to apply it all over ! I think I'll still only spot apply and see how that goes... thanks for your response!

Super Contributor

My 18 year old daughter has been using it for a month with amazing results .

She has oily skin .  She experienced some dryness after the first 2 weeks only .  I agree with the other suggestion of starting with every other day if your skin is sensitive .

I would highly recommend this product !! 

Valued Contributor

Thank you Gsmom for your response! 

Trusted Contributor

@cactusjack wrote:

Yes, I forgot to mention that it's the gel form... supposedly this otc version is the lower % of the prescription that comes in 2 different strength. Th direction says to apply on the entire face even if you only break out on your chin area consistently. I once tried the skinceutical's retinol 0.5% and thought my face would fall off! I became so red and dry I was peeing for weeks after I stopped ! So, I am extremely paranoid about retinol based products. I want to just apply this on the area of concern, but the direction says it is not for spot treatment and to apply it all over ! I think I'll still only spot apply and see how that goes... thanks for your response!

I'm the same with all retinol's Retin-a even at the lowest % and even OTC ones (tried PTR it was fine but wasn't faithful - got bored and didn't want to use an AHA along my light skin peel pads tri-weekly). I think retinols kind of thinned out my skin back many years ago and tried again in my early 50's and yes, I got red and sore and scaley every time.

Now at 60 my skin is truly thinner UGH!!! still good skin though.

I am scared to even try as it makes skin much more prone to sun's rays even more then aha's and even for my skin with high physical sunblock and ignoring the sun.

Wish I could have early on, but I don't think it's for everyone and maybe why I see so many like on beauty IQ so young with sun damage maybe they use retinol and not enough sunblock?

I have not seen differin yet at the stores...what section is it located at?

Always curious.

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cactusjack wrote:

I have used this successfully when it was available with a prescription.

I would like to use it again, now that it's available over-the-counter.

I have very sensitive skin, and I added it in very slowly with a doctor's help when I was using it by prescription.

I did apply it all over my face, and I started by using it something like once a month for one week, and then would go to once every three weeks for one time a week, and then once every two weeks, and then so on. I did experience flaking of the skin.

Then I worked my way up to once a week, and then started to add in another day of the week. All very slowly and carefully, for my skin. 

You can buffer your skin with a plain moisturizer if you want to while using this product. You just want to use a simple moisturizer without any AHAs or BHAs in it--nothing that could possibly irritate your skin.

When you go outside, you do want to use a sunscreen while using the Differin as it will make your skin more sensitive to the sun.

Honored Contributor

Don't know about this fix for acne but I still swear by, stand with and use Pro Activ.  Use today, gone in two days.

Valued Contributor

I found mine at Walmart in the acne meds section...Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I tried prescription strength Differin over 25 years ago so I think the commercial is misleading when it claims it is a new idea compared to BP and SA. Anyway, this did not help my acne, and it did not dry out my skin. I hope it works for those who try it.

I have very oily acne prone over 50 skin. The only thing that reduced my acne was Paula's Choice acne line. I do not need the acne line anymore, but I use PC BHA products and Retin A from my dermatologist to keep things under control.