Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone try the new acne OTC Differin yet, & if so...

Well, I started using OTC Differin as soon as it was available.  I'm using it for anti-aging (I'm 60) because I'm one of those people that cannot use Retin-a.  No matter how low the percent or how slowly I add Retin-a, my skin just peels and peels for months and never gets used to it.  I have been using retinol products instead but the effects of aging keeps accelerating at a distressing rate the older I get.  They are right when they say that getting old isn't for sissies!

Anyway, I noticed that Differin gel spreads far more easily than Retin-a gel or cream does.  I started out using Differin very slowly using less than a pea-sized amount once a week for a month, then twice a week for a couple of months, now I'm using it three times a week.  I still don't use a pea-sized amount, only the minimum necessary to spread it around my face.  I did experience some minor flaking around the mouth (lots of movement in that area with talking and eating) but certainly nothing like the peeling and irritation I would get with Retin-a.  How does Differin compare with benzoyl peroxide?  No idea, haven't used that in a dog's age, sorry.

The instructions do say that Differin is a preventative treatment and not a spot treatment for acne, so heed their usage directions but only use the tiniest amout all over your face when first starting out to see if it irritates your skin.

Respected Contributor

@River Song wrote:

Well, I started using OTC Differin as soon as it was available.  I'm using it for anti-aging (I'm 60) because I'm one of those people that cannot use Retin-a.  No matter how low the percent or how slowly I add Retin-a, my skin just peels and peels for months and never gets used to it.  I have been using retinol products instead but the effects of aging keeps accelerating at a distressing rate the older I get.  They are right when they say that getting old isn't for sissies!

Anyway, I noticed that Differin gel spreads far more easily than Retin-a gel or cream does.  I started out using Differin very slowly using less than a pea-sized amount once a week for a month, then twice a week for a couple of months, now I'm using it three times a week.  I still don't use a pea-sized amount, only the minimum necessary to spread it around my face.  I did experience some minor flaking around the mouth (lots of movement in that area with talking and eating) but certainly nothing like the peeling and irritation I would get with Retin-a.  How does Differin compare with benzoyl peroxide?  No idea, haven't used that in a dog's age, sorry.

The instructions do say that Differin is a preventative treatment and not a spot treatment for acne, so heed their usage directions but only use the tiniest amout all over your face when first starting out to see if it irritates your skin.

@River Song

Have you noticed any anti-aging benefits?

Trusted Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@River Song

Have you noticed any anti-aging benefits?

Well, gee, I've only been using it since what, December or January, lol?

Too soon to tell.  It takes at least a year or two for noticeable anti-aging results to show up with Retin-a so I'm assuming it will be at least that long for Differin.  This will be a long-term experiment.  I keep telling myself, patience is a virtue...

Respected Contributor

I've been using it about 2 weeks and was also concerned about dryness. I also bought the Differin moisturizer to go with it. I alternate every other night, using the gel all over my face one night and just over my T-zone the other night. Then I follow up with the moisturizer all over my face. So far I'm pleased...I haven't broken out more, and I haven't had any dryness. Too soon to tell if it's improving my skin or not yet, but I'm optimistic!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have also been using it for a couple weeks.  I bought the cleanser, gel and moisturizer from Amazon.  It wasn't very expensive.

The cleanser if very gentle but I don't feel it cleans very good.  I use a more aggressive cleanser in the AM.  I want to use the D. cleanser at night (since it is gentle) before using the D.

I like the moisturizer for night, but for day it is a tiny bit too heavy.

I have clogged pores and cystic acne.  When I started using it I had 3.  These are going away.  It takes me a long time to get rid of those.  My clogged pores don't seem much better.  I will use it til it's gone and then decide.

On the plus side:  I don't have any more zits popping up.  It is not drying for me.  I have super sensitive skin and it hasn't irritated my skin at all.

BTW I'm almost 61 with super oily skin and clogged pores.

Oh, I am using it every night.

Contributor

I have used it for 3 nights in a row and so far I have minimal flaking.  I am using it with a moisturizer.  My face does feel a little more sensitive, so I may back it off to every other night.   Too early to really tell a difference in my skin.