Regular Contributor

Anyone taking birth control pills to help with perimenopause symptoms?

Is it working for you? I have been taking birth control pills for a few years and when I discussed perimenopause with my gyno at my last physical a few months ago he said I should sail right through because the amount of hormone I am getting in the pill is more than my body would be creating without the pill. I get it....but recently started to really feel effects such as moodiness, hot flashes, breast tenderness, sleep problems. All that I have read says BC pills "may" help improve symptoms of perimenopause. My recent blood tests(2 months ago) with my primary physician were all normal. I know I cannot take a specific blood test to measure my hormone levels while I am on the pill....I would have to be off of it for a few months. I have an appointment with my gyno this week.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone taking birth control pills to help with perimenopause symptoms?

For myself and most of my friends it became very tricky to find the one that worked for this stage of life. You might have to try a couple of different ones. Once you find the right one it can work well. Just be set for a little bumpy ride for a couple of years.

Valued Contributor

My late 30's to mid 40's the Pill, in lowest dose, taken for three months, one week off, was my saving grace! I quit taking them at 47 to measure my levels and see if I was in meno...I was post! I was fine till prior to 50th birthday when I developed huge, solid cysts in both ovaries and had huge issues,resulting in removal...I then had no hormones and suffered for two years horrid anxiety, flashes, insomnia that no diet nor exercise could help! I ended up,on low dose HRT, bio, and feel better, still don't sleep well though!
Contributor

You may want to google Natural Progestrone cream for peri/menopause. BC pills stop you from ovulating, which also means your body is not making progesterone. Your progesterone levels drops much faster than your estrogen level so replenishing can help put your hormones back into balance.

Super Contributor

Yes, I take seasonique so I only have 4 periods a year, I will be 47 in July.
Respected Contributor

I was on the pill for a number of years to prevent a recurrence of severe ovarian cysts. I took myself off the pill as I was approaching menopause, because I was feeling sooooo horrible, and realized that the problems were being exacerbated by the pill. Felt so much better after stopping it!

Everybody, and every body is different. It could help you, but try to get as tuned in to your body as possible to help guide yourself through the process. The better you understand your body, the better conversations you can have with your doctor. Try to find a great doctor!