Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone stop retinol, and/or Vitamin C ? Look o.k. yet??

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Adelina wrote:

I ran out of Vitamin C for a while and did no replenish it for approximately 2 months. I honestly did not see much change. I like using it however for its extra sun protection.  Now, when I stopped using my retinol formulation for even just for a month and a bit, I noticed a big difference. My skin was not as smooth and it was definitely not as clear-looking. 

@Adelina, may I ask what retinol you use?

yes @Adelina, inquiring minds wanna know! Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

@MomCat wrote:

I think I've used enough of these products to realize that using ANY of the anti aging line improves the look of my skin.  I'm annoyed at myself for stocking up because I am now having to toss out a lot of expensive creams, including vit C.  Age is not kind to these products.  Ouch on the pocketbook, but lesson learned.  Finally.  Hopefully, the serums won't go bad too.  If they hold up, I will never have to purchase another bottle of serum in my lifetime.  Ugh.

I had to learn the hard way that if for no other reason than cost (but also effectiveness), consistent and dedicated application is the best rule. I think sometimes we skip days because we think it will make the product last longer, but for me that only ended up wasting product in the long run. Now I apply them religiously every day and night (depending on the product, of course. Vit C in the a.m. and retinol in the p.m.)

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Adelina wrote:

I ran out of Vitamin C for a while and did no replenish it for approximately 2 months. I honestly did not see much change. I like using it however for its extra sun protection.  Now, when I stopped using my retinol formulation for even just for a month and a bit, I noticed a big difference. My skin was not as smooth and it was definitely not as clear-looking. 

@suzyQ3 and @HappyDaze, I use Paula's Choice - I alternate between the Resist Intensive Repair Cream with retinol (LOVE) and the Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment (I alternate them every other day). I was not too keen on the Retinol Serum. I usually mix both with the Resist Oil Booster, also from PC.

Edited to add: I don't know if these will work for everyone. I don't have sensitive skin. I have that "Mediterranean" skin without the olive tone, unfortunately.

I Discovered That I Can Be Myself Without the Sky Falling In
Honored Contributor

@Adelina wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Adelina wrote:

@suzyQ3 and @HappyDaze, I use Paula's Choice - I alternate between the Resist Intensive Repair Cream with retinol (LOVE) and the Clinical 1% Retinol Treatment (I alternate them every other day). I was not too keen on the Retinol Serum. I usually mix both with the Resist Oil Booster, also from PC.

Edited to add: I don't know if these will work for everyone. I don't have sensitive skin. I have that "Mediterranean" skin without the olive tone, unfortunately.

@Adelina thank you! Have you tried her retinol booster at all?

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Adelina wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Adelina wrote:

@HappyDaze I just ordered the retinol booster this weekend.  Have you tried it yet?  Just curious to know your thoughts about it.  TIA.

Valued Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Adelina wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Adelina wrote:

I just ordered the retinol booster this weekend.  For those that have tried it, I'm curious as to your opinions.  I'm not an expert on the best skin care  ingredients/combinations and how to use them, so I like to hear any/all feedback from the ladies on this board who are skin-care ingredient savvy. I need a tutorial! I've read a lot on these boards, but it can be overwhelming.  It doesn't help that I've been pretty blessed with "good skin" for most of my life.  I don't know if it's increased stress and/or hormones, but my skin has done a complete 180, and I'm desperate to get my 'good skin' back.  Thanks in advance!!

Honored Contributor

@Jen44 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@HappyDaze I just ordered the retinol booster this weekend.  Have you tried it yet?  Just curious to know your thoughts about it.  TIA.

@Jen44 I am trying it actually. I am using it at night by mixing two drops in with my PC moisturizer. I decided retinol is going to be more of a preventative thing for me as I am pretty happy with my skin. I've only used it about 4 times now. I've had no issues with irritation, etc, which is a GREAT thing. I don't know if I will necessarily see any changes to my skin since there is nothing I really need to "fix" but I do have little smile lines at the corners of my eyes that appear when I smile. If that helps lessen the look of those, I won't be sad, lol, but smile lines don't bother me so much since the wrinkles are not obvious when I am not smiling and I love to laugh and smile so  yeah it would be nice if they don't eventually become permanent wrinkles! Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Jen44 wrote:

I just ordered the retinol booster this weekend.  For those that have tried it, I'm curious as to your opinions.  I'm not an expert on the best skin care  ingredients/combinations and how to use them, so I like to hear any/all feedback from the ladies on this board who are skin-care ingredient savvy. I need a tutorial! I've read a lot on these boards, but it can be overwhelming.  It doesn't help that I've been pretty blessed with "good skin" for most of my life.  I don't know if it's increased stress and/or hormones, but my skin has done a complete 180, and I'm desperate to get my 'good skin' back.  Thanks in advance!!

@Jen44 I did reply to you below but saw this post and wanted to respond to it as well. I certainly notice that since I've moved into my early forties, my skin has become a bit sensitive and drier than it was before. It isn't horrible but it never has been sensitive before so that has changed with age (hormones, most likely) for me. I must be honest, I always had nice skin and never really took great care of my skin and often slept in my makeup when I was younger. The parties always ran late into the night/early morning, lol. Smiley Wink I did always wear sunscreen at least, lol! But in my thirties I really got serious about my skincare and have seen some nice changes in my skin since then but I think moving into my forties, I'm focused on maintaining what I have and prevention. I am nervous about menopause because so many people talk about their skin changing! It is all overwhelming and there are so many ingredients that claim to be the end all be all. Good luck to you and let us know what you think of the retinol booster!

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

I'm out of both, and not sure what's helping or doing anything.  Been steady user of good 1% retinol, and tried many C serums.   Basically I have nice luminous skin, but no real improvement on deep smile lines.  Don't think I look firmer either.

These products are very expensive...I'm just not sure if they're worth it anymore.   Thinking of holding off awhile, and see if I look worse..HA.   

Anyone NOT use these products, and feel ok about it??

I've been getting my vitamin C serum from ASDM beauty.  Much better prices.  Very good quality

Respected Contributor

Thanks..I'll look into that.  So far, the best info I can get is that L Ascorbate is the most most potent.   I'm still looking at ingredients.