Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone stop retinol, and/or Vitamin C ? Look o.k. yet??

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

I stopped using my vitamin C for awhile when the formulation changed and I was trying to find a new one. Although my face didn't collapse and turn horrible on me, I did notice after awhile it didn't seem as luminous as it usually does. It was very subtle but, to me, noticeable nonetheless. I was happy when I started using it again and in no time the luminosity came back.

@HappyDaze, I think I've asked you this a million times, but do you use any retinol product? I am currently not doing so.

lol, I think you have but I swore I answered you a few times, or at least meant to. Smiley Happy No I am not using any retinol products. I tried some PC products that contained it many moons ago but didn't really like them. Do you feel like you may not really benefit from it?

Respected Contributor

I use Retin-A and a vitamin C serum (currently Timeless brand).

I have pretty much always had good skin, as my mother and grandmother did.

Every winter I say I am going to stop the Retin-A because it makes my skin drier, flaky, and itchy.  I go to every 3rd day instead of every other day, and often skip a week.

But I never completely stop it!  These are the 2 ingredients I believe in, as do most dermatologists.  I am going to stick with what has been proven.

These are the only 2 that I use anymore.  I do use exfoliation (Serious Skin Care Glycolic Grommage) about once a week.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

I stopped using my vitamin C for awhile when the formulation changed and I was trying to find a new one. Although my face didn't collapse and turn horrible on me, I did notice after awhile it didn't seem as luminous as it usually does. It was very subtle but, to me, noticeable nonetheless. I was happy when I started using it again and in no time the luminosity came back.

@HappyDaze, I think I've asked you this a million times, but do you use any retinol product? I am currently not doing so.

lol, I think you have but I swore I answered you a few times, or at least meant to. Smiley Happy No I am not using any retinol products. I tried some PC products that contained it many moons ago but didn't really like them. Do you feel like you may not really benefit from it?

Oh, I"ve no doubt you answered me -- a million times. :-)

I don't have a feeling one way or the other. I haven't used the PC serum for some time now. I know retinol is supposed to the be-all and end-all, but I just don't know.

What I do know is that I will not use prescription strength. I did that years ago and was very reactive.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Oh, I"ve no doubt you answered me -- a million times. :-)

I don't have a feeling one way or the other. I haven't used the PC serum for some time now. I know retinol is supposed to the be-all and end-all, but I just don't know.

What I do know is that I will not use prescription strength. I did that years ago and was very reactive.

LOL! I swear my brain is fried these days and can't remember so many things!

Reactive, huh? Just too harsh for your skin? I know it is definitely one of the things most derms recommend for serious anti-aging but I don't know. May try retinol again at some point but I didn't really find it did anything for my skin at the time. I find I get better results from vitamin C and BHA. I know there is some controversy over if it thins skin out even though it is actually suppose to help increase collagen production which would, essentially, make skin less thin I'd think so those types of results are confusing. I don't know. I won't say never again but for now, I am pretty darn happy with my skincare routine and how my skin looks. Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

I have used either retinol or retin A (or alternated between the two) for close to 30 years now.  I have used vitamin C for about 15 years.  I also incorporate BHA daily; and exfoliate and peel on an at need basis.  I wear sunscreen whenever I step out the door.

No one would confuse me for a 25 year old, as the products do not perform face lifts, but I would not give them up either.

OP your skin is luminous.  Look around at your friends your age?  Is their skin better or worse than yours?   What do they do to take care of their skin? Would you miss the luminosity?

Taking care of you skin, using good products, using sunscreen, eating well and sleeping can help your skin look very nice for your age.   It's up to you whether you think that the effort and expense is worth it.  Good luck.

Do the math.
Esteemed Contributor

I didn't stop or increase the amount of Vit C and Retinol I was using, but I changed brands and noticed a difference.   I'd used the same brand of Retinol for at least 12 years - my complexion looks really good for a 66-year-old woman, but it was starting to appear dull and my pores looked bigger to me every day.  It was recommended that I try a different Retinol brand, so I switched from one drugstore brand to a different drugstore brand (so no expensive products were used!), and I noticed an improvement in my complexion in a week.  

I wonder now if my complexion had gotten "immune" to my old product after years of use?    Something sure amped up my complexion!

I agree with MarielG -- it's not just the topical proiducts you use, but eating well, exercise, drinking water, staying healthy improves your skin.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

@HappyDaze &@suzyQ3 - My favorite skin gurus.. Smiley Happy  Heart

I can't use RetinA or a prescription strength retinoid,  if that's what you mean; 

From one article.

Prescription formulas contain retinoic acid, the magic ingredient that fights visible aging; nonprescription alternatives need to be converted into retinoic acid by the skin at the cellular level. "In off-the-shelf formulas, the ingredient called retinol is the only derivative of vitamin A worth using," says Dana Sachs, an associate professor of dermatology at the University of Michigan Medical School. "There's a lot of literature showing that while retinol is more gentle than retinoic acid, biochemically it does exactly the same thing—it may just take longer to see results." The same can't be said for the derivatives called pro-retinols (a.k.a. retinyl palmitate, retinyl acetate, and retinyl linoleate), which are the most gentle—but weaker, too. Of the formulas shown here, Retin-A requires a prescription, but the others are available over the counter: Biopelle Retriderm Serum Mild contains retinol, while something you can readily buy at your local drugstore, like Olay Pro-X Deep Wrinkle Treatment has retinyl propionate, a less irritating form of vitamin A.

I realize you both know the science- it's simply information for everyone who happens to be reading.

That being said, I can't use even the mildest prescription strength without troublesome SEs -and will never attempt to go there after a few bouts of "what the H--- was I thinking!?"  There are ways to buffer what can be caustic effects of RX RetinA or Renova-  yet I've been there. For the potential brass ring- (as any derm will tell you it's the only topical that can make a true difference in aging) my gut says it simply isn't worth it.  I've vied instead to use OTC lower dose retinols-- Paula's Choice & other OTC formulas since I was in my early 40's--  building up currently to PC Clinical 1% Treatment, which doesn't irritate in the least.

For approx. 4-5 months when the weather is warm- (more like sizzling hot here) I take a retinol break....then will use about 3x a week for the remainder of the year.  Has it made a difference?  Hard to know when changes are usually subtle & gradual.  Maybe had I not used for the last 20 years there would be absolutely no visible difference..   OR... maybe I'd look like a very haggard version of me today....   Hmmm.  Toss of the coin ....  Smiley Wink

Where I find the most immediate gratification is with AHA and Vitamin C- which I plan to use until they bury this old glowing face. 

Woman Tongue

Honored Contributor

@Funloving  Heart thanks for sharing the info. I definitely have heard (and my derms also agree with this) that retinol can be as effective as Rx retin A but, as you stated, it takes alot longer and depends on the formulation and the % of retinol in the product. Many formulations that contain retinol don't contain enough to really see a difference and I also believe that the other ingredients in the formulations can make or break the product. I think that is why, as some posters have mentioned, when they switched retinol products, they saw a difference. There are some poorly formulated retinol products out there!

I think if I were going to use it again, I may try the PC booster one she recently came out with. I like the idea of being able to gradually increase the strength, as you suggested you did with the other PC products. Very smart!

Regarding the fact that you don't see anything dramatic as most of the changes are subtle, the other thing is, which I am sure you know, retinol and retin A is also helping to increase collagen production which will help to prevent wrinkles and sagging so it is preventative as well as treating any visible lines or wrinkles. LOL, now it makes me think I should add it back in, lol. I'd like to stave of as many wrinkles and sagging as best as I can! So much easier to prevent than treat. Hmmmm...

Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

I didn't stop or increase the amount of Vit C and Retinol I was using, but I changed brands and noticed a difference.   I'd used the same brand of Retinol for at least 12 years - my complexion looks really good for a 66-year-old woman, but it was starting to appear dull and my pores looked bigger to me every day.  It was recommended that I try a different Retinol brand, so I switched from one drugstore brand to a different drugstore brand (so no expensive products were used!), and I noticed an improvement in my complexion in a week.  

I wonder now if my complexion had gotten "immune" to my old product after years of use?    Something sure amped up my complexion!

I agree with MarielG -- it's not just the topical proiducts you use, but eating well, exercise, drinking water, staying healthy improves your skin.

AMEN to THAT @tototwo!  You need to keep the oxygen flowing to every cell in your body through exercise..  Eating right is so evident- I can see the ill-effects of my skin staring back from the mirror after a junk food binge.   Few and far between... But still...

May I ask what retinol product you're using now?   TIA!  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

@Funloving  Heart thanks for sharing the info. I definitely have heard (and my derms also agree with this) that retinol can be as effective as Rx retin A but, as you stated, it takes alot longer and depends on the formulation and the % of retinol in the product. Many formulations that contain retinol don't contain enough to really see a difference and I also believe that the other ingredients in the formulations can make or break the product. I think that is why, as some posters have mentioned, when they switched retinol products, they saw a difference. There are some poorly formulated retinol products out there!

I think if I were going to use it again, I may try the PC booster one she recently came out with. I like the idea of being able to gradually increase the strength, as you suggested you did with the other PC products. Very smart!

Regarding the fact that you don't see anything dramatic as most of the changes are subtle, the other thing is, which I am sure you know, retinol and retin A is also helping to increase collagen production which will help to prevent wrinkles and sagging so it is preventative as well as treating any visible lines or wrinkles. LOL, now it makes me think I should add it back in, lol. I'd like to stave of as many wrinkles and sagging as best as I can! So much easier to prevent than treat. Hmmmm...

Smiley Happy

Pretty compelling when you break it down, eh?  The sagging that comes with loss of collagen is HUGE..  no real reversing that without invasive tx.  

@HappyDaze....because you are ingredient savvy I believe you can find a retinol suited for your skin... and PC's Booster may be the perfect way to go.   Better now versus when it's too late.  

My father's side of the family had no wrinkles but were 'SAGGERS.' On the maternal side wrinkles and sagging weren't an issue.   When Mom died at 67 she had taut wrinkle-free skin, just like my aunt who is now in her mid 70's.

BINGO!  Naturally I inherited many of my late dad's genes.  haha.

Edited to say, I really shouldn't say my dad's side had NO wrinkles.. they did, but were minimal.  I swear though, my Mom's side had remarkable skin! 

I remember my grandmother walking around with a few green stamps - remember those?... on her forehead.   She said it was to keep her from frowning.   Ahead of her time with those Frownies.  haha!