Valued Contributor

Anyone here an expert with the color system for EL double wear foundation?

This is what I know... currently I'm wearing 2N1 - desert beige.  I inderstand the first # , the 2 is the shade category; such as light , med. etc... the second letter, N stands for neutral. So, what does the third # 1 indicate? Thank you for any input in advance. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone here an expert with the color system for EL double wear foundation?

@cactusjack wrote:

This is what I know... currently I'm wearing 2N1 - desert beige.  I inderstand the first # , the 2 is the shade category; such as light , med. etc... the second letter, N stands for neutral. So, what does the third # 1 indicate? Thank you for any input in advance. 

@cactusjack, my best guess is that it refers to the intensity of the shade within each shade category.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@cactusjack, Laura Mercier uses that system too.  At first I thought I knew what it meant but then I see a 2W2.  Ask the cosmetic co. is your best bet.

kindness is strength
Trusted Contributor

I was curious too as my color is 1N2.  From the EL website:

The first digit represents the shade’s Intensity Level. Estee Lauder Levels range from 1 (the lightest) to 6 (the deepest). The letter indicates the undertone. "C" represents cool/pink, "W" represents warm/yellow, and "N" is neutral (no predominant undertones). The last digit is the depth of color (for example 1 would be lighter than 2).

Valued Contributor

Thank you ikat!

Respected Contributor

@lkat

I get the letters but I don't understand the difference between the first number and the last one.

Respected Contributor

@Texasmouse There are 6 color depth ranges: 1-6, 1 being lightest shades, 6 being darkest. Within each range, there are a few shades, so 1_1 is the lightest shade in the first range, and 1_5 would be lighter than 2_1, if that makes sense. They probably could've done 1 to whatever number is the deepest shade with a C, N or W after, but this is pretty much the same thing. HTH!

Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

@lkat

I get the letters but I don't understand the difference between the first number and the last one.

@Texasmouse, the first number indicates a shade range. So for instance, a 1 would all the fair shades and so on and so on. The third number indicates the intensity of the shade. It gives you options within one shade of fair or light, etc.

Does that make sense? It's actually a good system that offers you choices within a shade range, as well as offering you Cool, Warm, or Neutral.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

Oh ok, I get it now. Thanks @suzyQ3 and @FUTURE 😊

Honored Contributor

That does help as I ordered the new foundation that you can only get online from Ulta and wasn't sure which shade so I went there to see the shades in their other foundations. I ended up ordering Ivory Beige.