Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone here NOT going gray?

Stick with gray if you have pretty gray hair.  I work with a lady with beautiful grey hair, and she has it lightened (ombre) around her face.  I am jealous with my salt/pepper.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

I'll be 67 next month - my hair is very dark brown - only gray is at my temples - I use Nice and Easy Root Touch-Up about once a month.

Respected Contributor

I’m in my mid-60’s and have some gray hair, but am still mostly brown. It runs in my Dad’s side of the family. 

Respected Contributor

I have native American heritage almost black hair but I am probably 50% gray now. 

I don't know for sure(bc I color all over) but my gray is not pretty.

I tried some wigs for some coloring ideas but golden hair matches my complection and I look really awful. I use a dark brown semi permanent color every 6 weeks. I think I would like a medium brown but my hair just takes the dye to a dark brown anyway?

So I'm that old lady with dyed hair. 

Valued Contributor

I don’t think it matters so much what color your hair is, but the condition and health of it. If your hair is shiny and healthy looking it looks more youthful.

Respected Contributor

While I've been "mostly" gray for several years now (and loving it!), my mom was still way more "pepper" than "salt" when she died at 76. My dad's family, however, grays early and beautifully...my dad at 87 has had a head full of pure platinum hair since he was in his 50's. It started turning way earlier than that, but he was a very light blond and you really couldn't tell!

I still have some dark brown hair mixed in with the silver...it almost looks highlighted, especially in the back.

Trusted Contributor

I'm 60 and my hairdresser found my first gray hair a couple of weeks ago.  My mom was 75 when she passed away and she only had a few grays.  I always blamed her (teasingly) for my small boobs, I guess I would have to thank her for my lack of grays if I could Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Up to age 59, I had my light brown hair with a few greys but after going thru chemo, losing it all for 5 months and then regrowing it--it came in very grey then settle down to a mix of brown and grey as it is now at age 64. Not really a fan of the color tho. 

Respected Contributor

I am 69 and I know there are many grays hidden in there but I will continue to have my hair colored until the day I pass on. That's just my preference. Have no desire to be gray. My natural color is brown and would be very drab if I let it go. I have been a blonde long before I started turning gray and love my color.

Trusted Contributor

@Eileen in Virginia wrote:

I’m in my mid-60’s and have some gray hair, but am still mostly brown. It runs in my Dad’s side of the family. 

Your description sounds much like mine. 

I was very slow to get any grays at all.  Even through my sixties, my husband said he could barely see any gray, but I could see some scattered through.  You might notice some under lighting or in the sun, but in a regular room from a foot or so away, it looked like I was still totally brunette.

Now at almost 72, they are starting to be way more noticable, but you would still not say I am gray. 

All my friends my age have more gray than I do, some completely white.

My dad had virtually no gray hair at age 79.   My mom had started getting a lot of gray in her forties.