Honored Contributor

Anyone going for a NEW(er) self for an upcoming NEW year?

Meaning: stepping OUTSIDE your box, & then stepping OUT of your comfort zone. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

In beauty and/or fashion, NOT weight loss. That's something always automatically being done.

But actually:

*Refreshing or changing your looks: makeup / hair

*Refreshing or changing your style: clothing / adornments / accessories

I've been working towards starting 2015 with newer hair (shorter length/darker shade), and actually wearing minimal makeup the rare times I'm out & about.

Plus wearing my favorite jewelry and scarves those rare times as well. And I've also gotten a much-overdue & newer pair of eyeglass frames.

Anyone else? Would love to hear your plans.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone going for a NEW(er) self for an upcoming NEW year?

Nope. I like me just the way I am now. Went thru a change of sorts when I retired 2 years ago - got rid of all my corporate clothes, cut my hair super short, and now wear minimal makeup, if any - and I'm very happy with the results.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

Hi groovy!

Yes, it's about time for an overhaul. Mine is in the world of fashion.

I was out of work for 4 years. The only time I went shopping was when Marshall's had a clearance sale. I also found out that classic styles are not timeless.

Now that I am working and in a better place financially, I have slowly started to overhaul my closet!

I pick up jewelry from craft fairs and occasionally Etsy;

I have a few designers that I love and I buy a couple of their clothing pieces each season;

shoes and purses, I am always on the hunt for them!

I don't feel bad if I pay full price for something, since I'm due!

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Valued Contributor

Clothing: I recently started this, but I am really concentrating on looking good at home. Instead of wearing sweats and things like that, I am wearing nicer casual wear.

Hair: This year I started using Henna and I am loving the results. I plan on carrying on with this next year.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/8/2014 beautybee said:

Clothing: I recently started this, but I am really concentrating on looking good at home. Instead of wearing sweats and things like that, I am wearing nicer casual wear.

Hair: This year I started using Henna and I am loving the results. I plan on carrying on with this next year.

beautybee, that's awesome! I love wearing my comfy PJs at home. You have to use a crowbar to get me out of them.

What kind of Henna do you use?

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

On 12/8/2014 tototwo said:

Nope. I like me just the way I am now. Went thru a change of sorts when I retired 2 years ago - got rid of all my corporate clothes, cut my hair super short, and now wear minimal makeup, if any - and I'm very happy with the results.

Good for you, Toto2! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

On 12/8/2014 HonnyBrown said:

Hi groovy!

Yes, it's about time for an overhaul. Mine is in the world of fashion.

I was out of work for 4 years. The only time I went shopping was when Marshall's had a clearance sale. I also found out that classic styles are not timeless.

Now that I am working and in a better place financially, I have slowly started to overhaul my closet!

I pick up jewelry from craft fairs and occasionally Etsy;

I have a few designers that I love and I buy a couple of their clothing pieces each season;

shoes and purses, I am always on the hunt for them!

I don't feel bad if I pay full price for something, since I'm due!

Hi honny child!

It's great to hear that you're back on tract budget-wise, and ITA about the clearance and sale racks at Marshall's... plus TJMaxx & Ross Stores) as well.

Yep, classic anything isn't necessarily timeless, LOL.

Isn't it great that it often just takes adornments and accessories to make one's closet fresh(er)? Jewelry, scarves, handbags, shoes, and even belts help make anything more updated.

Plus, it's usually cheaper to express yourself and your style that way, especially if something is more trendy.

I'm a big fan of craft fairs and Etsy too, plus I also find unique items at Ebay, Overstock's "Worldstock" section (fair trade), Novica.com (fair trade), and Amazon (just type in 'fair trade').

It's cool to be able to support women and others in countries not as rich as ours, even when on a tight budget. 8-)

Honored Contributor

beautybee, that's awesome! I love wearing my comfy PJs at home. You have to use a crowbar to get me out of them.

BeautyBee:

Nice to hear it!

Oftentimes it makes a difference in one's mood and energy level, too. And henna is healthier for your hair, plus it comes in several colors (not just auburn). Smile

Honny:

I can so relate, LOL.

PJ's or yoga/lounge-type pants with a cotton tee (plus sometimes a hoody) are my style for total chillaxation. Wink

Honored Contributor

I never had a box to step outside of. My comfort zone is whatever I like!! I'm happy with who I am.

Valued Contributor

I get mine from Henna King. I use a dark Auburn. I love it. It is messy and you have to leave it on your hair for a long time so that is the down side. But I only do my roots so it's not too bad. I love the shine I get. Box hair coloring was taking it's toll on my hair and it's not in my budget to go to a salon to get it done. So the henna turned out to be a great option for me.