Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone getting the Beachwaver?

I purchased the 1 1/4" Beachwaver Pro from Ulta last month and I wish I hadn't.  It was on sale for $149 and I had $125 in points which is the only reason I haven't returned it.

I find I get much better "beachy" waves from my $50 Hot Tools curling wand.  I can use a lower heat and the curls are prettier and last longer.  The only problem with a wand is that they're hard to use on the back of your hair if it's shorter than shoulder length. It took me a few tries to get the hang of it, but now I love it.

If you have shoulder length or longer hair, I would recommend a wand over the Beachwaver.

Trusted Contributor

@silkyk, do you know what stores sell the Kiss waver? Thank you.

Respected Contributor

@lkat  Thank you for sharing your experience!  My hair is layered, with the longest layers faling close to shoulder length.  Most is much shorter.  I do have a hot tools, and I don't get great curls from it, and what I do get doesn't last.  Could be user error, though!Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@ItsME

Gosh, that's a tricky question!  It really depends on what look you are going for!  That's why I have all 3 sizes to change it up.

With the largest, I get very loose waves only.  I would not call it a curl.

However, my hair is down my back.  I use it the least.  (Surprisingly, since all demos with the largest are on hair my length)

I use the 1" the most.  It is the most universal IMHO.  If I do smaller sections, I get a true bouncy, spiral curl.  If larger sections...a softer, looser curl.

For chin length hair...you could almost go w/ the .75 but expect spiral, tighter curls.

Again, the larger clump of hair you use, the results will be different than with smaller.

That's why I like it....

In full disclosure, I do use a higher heat setting most of the time.  My hair can handle it and the curls last really long as I mentioned.

If I am just looking for smoothing and body....I lower the heat setting.

Tee hee, I should do a demo on air!  I swear I do a better job than some of those gals!  LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will have to the end of Jan. w/ the holiday returns to give it a try....that's nice!

Honored Contributor

@lkat wrote:

I purchased the 1 1/4" Beachwaver Pro from Ulta last month and I wish I hadn't.  It was on sale for $149 and I had $125 in points which is the only reason I haven't returned it.

I find I get much better "beachy" waves from my $50 Hot Tools curling wand.  I can use a lower heat and the curls are prettier and last longer.  The only problem with a wand is that they're hard to use on the back of your hair if it's shorter than shoulder length. It took me a few tries to get the hang of it, but now I love it.

If you have shoulder length or longer hair, I would recommend a wand over the Beachwaver.

My hair is down the middle of my back and the beachwaver has been very easy to use.  Just section to each side and work from there!

I have probably 3 Hot Tools in the junk drawer.  That hot metal rod was very damaging to my hair.  BURN with the metal, even on lower temps.  Curls were temporary at best.

The Beachwaver has a ceramic coated rod.  Much gentler, and as mentioned, I am able to use a higher heat setting.

Respected Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@ItsME

Gosh, that's a tricky question!  It really depends on what look you are going for!  That's why I have all 3 sizes to change it up.

With the largest, I get very loose waves only.  I would not call it a curl.

However, my hair is down my back.  I use it the least.  (Surprisingly, since all demos with the largest are on hair my length)

I use the 1" the most.  It is the most universal IMHO.  If I do smaller sections, I get a true bouncy, spiral curl.  If larger sections...a softer, looser curl.

For chin length hair...you could almost go w/ the .75 but expect spiral, tighter curls.

Again, the larger clump of hair you use, the results will be different than with smaller.

That's why I like it....

In full disclosure, I do use a higher heat setting most of the time.  My hair can handle it and the curls last really long as I mentioned.

If I am just looking for smoothing and body....I lower the heat setting.

Tee hee, I should do a demo on air!  I swear I do a better job than some of those gals!  LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You will have to the end of Jan. w/ the holiday returns to give it a try....that's nice!

@RespectLife  Thanks!  I would use the lowest heat setting to protect my hair.  Don't know if the results would be as good.  I'm thinking about the 3/4" for that reason.....  Less heat might get the same result as a higher heat on the 1" unit.

Regular Contributor

Thank you itsMe. Best discussion of barrel sizes I have seen. Very helpful!

Trusted Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

My hair is down the middle of my back and the beachwaver has been very easy to use.  Just section to each side and work from there!

I have probably 3 Hot Tools in the junk drawer.  That hot metal rod was very damaging to my hair.  BURN with the metal, even on lower temps.  Curls were temporary at best.

The Beachwaver has a ceramic coated rod.  Much gentler, and as mentioned, I am able to use a higher heat setting.

@RespectLife

I haven't had a problem with the temps on the Hot Tools, but I will watch for it.  I typically spend more on my heated tools that I did on the Hot Tools so I won't be surprised if I end up having problems with it.

What I don't like about the Beachwaver is that the curls don't hold at all at the lower heat (which is what I use because my hair is fine).  I also don't like the curls themselves.  Maybe because I'm working from bottom up instead of top down as with a wand, but I just don't find them as pretty as I do when a wand upside down.

Honored Contributor

I ordered the 1" for my daughter for Christmas, she has medium long, thick hair and I think she will love it!

Honored Contributor

@lkat

I applaud you if you can use a wand upside down!  LOL

The only thing I got when trying that w/ my Hot Tool was burns on my head, face, hands and arms!  LOL   A stylist, I am NOT!

I hate round brushes and blow dryers and they hate me right back.

Since I am not using a dryer...I feel I have saved my hair from that heat and can bump up my Beachwaver a few degrees.

I also feel the WEN styling creme really protects my hair.  I have virtual no splits.

The demos always show the Beachwaver ends kind of 'out' of the tool and quite straight.  I think they call that Fish Ends?  Not sure, but I do not like it. 

I start about 1 inch up the hair strand and clamp.  Then spiral all the way up, then ease back on the clamp til my ends are now also curled around the barrel.

That gives me the perfect 'boinky' true spiral curl from top to bottom I want.