Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone following the beauty community drama on YouTube?

@Naturesbeauty wrote:
Wayne Goss says it all in this video: https://youtu.be/vZkIM2Hp7Qs

@Naturesbeauty  I started to watch this a couple of days ago but decided I didn't want to devote anymore time to the drama.  It was exhausting me and I'm not even involved. LOL  

Honored Contributor

@San Antonio Gal wrote:

I follow 2 beauty you tubers and they are both drama free.  Emily Noel and Taylor Wynn.

@San Antonio Gal, I like Emily as well except sometimes her videos are sooooooo long and I get bored. I just started to watch Taylor Wynn a little bit.

There are several I follow that are a heck of a lot younger than me but I just enjoy watching them.  As far as I know the others I watch are drama free but I could be wrong.  LOL 

Respected Contributor

Never been a fan of Jeffree Star. I'd rather poke my eardrums out than listen to him.

IMO Tati is a talented make-up influencer who took the click-bait and is paying for it. You'd think that for the money she makes, she'd let a "handler" (her husband?) or an attorney do some research before she hitched her wagon to the freak show.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

Tati Westbrook is nothing but a self serving blame shifter. She never takes responsibilty for her errors. 

Honored Contributor

@ECBG 

I've just started watching Nikol and find her very refreshing!  

The only one I watch (from the trainwreck) is Tati.  Not sure what I'll 

do moving on.  Has she done anything immoral?  Illegal?  Has she supported 

anyone doing something immoral or illegal?

Trusted Contributor

The drama comes down to one thing: money.  Sponsorship (golden goose), Collaborations (big time money), subscribers/views/thumb-ups (more money and rank which leads to the first two mentioned). What's worse is that this drama is just as bad among the "mature women" who should know better but again, it's all about the money, honey.

YouTube is one giant Infomercial. Gone are the days of just chatting with your friends about stuff you like. For me, the moment someone I watch declares a sponsorship or has "links" to her stuff, I'm gone. 

"Coming to ya from Florida"
Honored Contributor

@monicakm wrote:

@ECBG 

I've just started watching Nikol and find her very refreshing!  

The only one I watch (from the trainwreck) is Tati.  Not sure what I'll 

do moving on.  Has she done anything immoral?  Illegal?  Has she supported 

anyone doing something immoral or illegal?

@monicakm I don't watch a lot of makeup bloggers.  I like Nikol because she isn't a younger one playing in makeup.

I'm color and design and taught 37 years.

@Shanus is the one to ask about makeup.  

Honored Contributor

I don't watch beauty YouTubers or Influencers.  Most of them wear way too much makeup, even just the amount of foundation they put on is a turnoff for me.  So, even after reading 3 pages here, I have no idea who any of these people are or what happened.

I have seen a few videos by the Hot & Flashy lady because she is at least close to my age range.  I sometimes run across one of the influencers when I'm Googling for product reviews and I may watch those.  I don't remember if that is how I found the H&F lady or if it was a recommendation here.  I know I disagreed with her on some recommendations she was making for people our age although I don't remember what it was about.  I haven't found any reason to look her up since.  I'm pretty set in my ways makeup-wise and I think it works for me.  No amount of makeup or technique is going to turn me into a raving beauty, and I really only wear makup once a week, so it would mostly be a waste of time.

I don't subscribe to anyone except Nick Verreos (sp?) but that's all about pattern drafting, not beauty.

Trusted Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@ECBG  & others: I started watching Nikol Johnson & Mr. Kong's Mom when I went grey for pointers about changing brow color, shampoos, etc. 

If you watch any of them long enough, they're all selling something to make money. Lisa J, so nice, used to teach MAC, now has a brush line she "pushes" every chance she gets. Nikol has her own line of skincare/makeup. The ones who just review products are sometimes paid good money to do so while others are paid just by mentioning a brand name or listing it in the info box below. 

I check in on the "girls" w/ curly hair (not the Curly Girl Method) to get info on styling as my hair grows longer. My yoga videos are also on YouTube as well as a favorite mixed media artist I follow and take her video classes. 

Most of us know what's going on behind the scenes. Just stay aware. With skincare/makeup, just find women close to your age and with your skin type. Don't purchase all they recommend...Just like QVC, many are there to sell sell sell! 

I really like Mr Kong’s Mom and her home fragrance reviews. She got me into Scentsy! Kinda got sucked into the whole Susan Yara debacle with her product launch. Who knew beauty could be so cutthroat. Just don’t like Tati she seems like she’s always apologizing for something plus I find her very fake.  

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess wrote:

I don't watch beauty YouTubers or Influencers.  Most of them wear way too much makeup, even just the amount of foundation they put on is a turnoff for me.  So, even after reading 3 pages here, I have no idea who any of these people are or what happened.

I have seen a few videos by the Hot & Flashy lady because she is at least close to my age range.  I sometimes run across one of the influencers when I'm Googling for product reviews and I may watch those.  I don't remember if that is how I found the H&F lady or if it was a recommendation here.  I know I disagreed with her on some recommendations she was making for people our age although I don't remember what it was about.  I haven't found any reason to look her up since.  I'm pretty set in my ways makeup-wise and I think it works for me.  No amount of makeup or technique is going to turn me into a raving beauty, and I really only wear makup once a week, so it would mostly be a waste of time.

I don't subscribe to anyone except Nick Verreos (sp?) but that's all about pattern drafting, not beauty.

@Icegoddess, I have mentioned before on other threads that I do have to laugh at all the products some of these ladies pile on their face.  2 different primers, 2 different concealers, enough foundation for 3 faces and often times way too dark for their skin, bronzers, highlighters, contours, setting powder, finishing powder, 5 eyeshadow colors, lipliner, lipstick, lipgloss and on and on.  LOL  

But some of them are very good at certain techniques specifically eye shadow application and I enjoy watching what they do.  For instance, I am loving the halo eyeshadow technique and I never would have seen that if it wasn't for YT.  I also really enjoy some of the dupe videos.