Honored Contributor

Anyone following the beauty community drama on YouTube?

I have never been a big YT watcher until recently.  I switched to streaming through Spectrum and there just isn't a lot of channels to watch.  Because there are times when I cannot find anything that interests me, I started to watch some of the beauty influencers on YT.  

Not knowing anything about anyone or any situation, one of the people I began watching was Tati Westbrook.  I didn't know about any past drama.  I realized after I didn't see a video from her for about 3 weeks that she was even missing and then started to notice other gossipy YouTubers talking about her absence.  I did watch her recent apology/outing video.  I'm not even sure why I watched the entire 40 minutes except it was like a train wreck.  Then the whole situation made me laugh.

These are "beauty influencers" on YouTube and there is all this silly drama over make-up?  Seems ridiculous to me but I'm new to all of this.  It makes me appreciate the people I follow who just keep it moving.  

Between this and Sierra Schultzzie talking about how awfully she was treated at BeautyCon, I think some of these beauty gurus aren't so nice and this is quite a cut throat business.   

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone following the beauty community drama on YouTube?

So funny you mention this, @Lipstickdiva , as I started watching some of Tati Westbrook's videos several months ago, but then I just stopped for whatever reason and since I was subscribed to her channel I still get notification of new videos.  So, I've been just deleting them because I wasn't much interested and then yesterday I saw that she had an apology video and it looked like drama and I was just sitting around doing nothing so I watched for awhile.

Anyway, even after watching maybe half of it I still had no idea what was going on but she struck as kind of "poor me" and in a not so appealing way and I just stopped watching.

I do think that it wouldn't be surprising that women whose stock is in the "beauty" trade probably aren't the most genuine people in the world.

I don't know if I'll look more into the drama and what happened, but now I'm kind of curious.  Just because I'm sitting around right now doing nothing again..

Cat LOL

Esteemed Contributor

While I dont follow anyone I would watch Tati's reviews once and awhile. Then a year or two ago was the whole expose of influencer price sheets. It turns out they charge, some like $65,000 to $85,000 for product placement.  No joke, they had the receipts as it were.

Then Tati has a feud with James Charles. After that feud she picked up 5 million new subscribers. So that's the tea on that.

I don't watch this sham at all anymore

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva What you wrote hit a nerve with me on human behavior.

It may be that the influncers feel self entitled, or may feel self impressed.

Many of those influencers did grow up during the time when "entitlement" has become an issue.

Honored Contributor

I subscribe to Tati's YT channel but I don't set the bell to let me know of knew videos so it's just whenever I happen to feel like watching that I'll click on her videos.  I had NO idea of all the drama that was going on or that she wasn't uploading videos.  I watched about 1/2 the apology video before shaking my head and saying "Well that's enough of that!"

Honored Contributor

Yes. BeautyGuruChatter and Peter Monn's channel on Youtube have been covering this extensively. Sanders Kennedy has the proof, but it is disgusting to watch, fair warning. The Shane Dawson component to it has made the national news because he filmed a video of himself simulating something grossly inappropriate in response to 11 year old Willow Smith's poster. She is the daughter of Jada Pinkett and Will Smith. They were not having any of it.

My takeaways so far from Dramageddon III, aka Karmageddon: 

Jeffree Starr is toxic and evil and an actual blackmailer who lies about everything, even his own mother and grandmother, and should lose his fortune and be kicked off Youtube. He is guilty of every ism there is and has not changed

Shane Dawson had everyone fooled that he was just a nice innocent nebbish, and is just as bad as Jeffree with the added evil of child exploitation and worse. He might end up in jail. He has been reported to the LA County Sheriff's department

Tati has a savior complex and needs to go to Alanon for her co-dpendency issues and see an actual mainstream therapist. She was a willing victim of a con and is still responsible for the damage she caused. She should also disconnect from all of the top Youtubers. She should donate a large portion of her fortune to whatever charity James Charles chooses, and then they should call it a day

James Charles was possibly heading towards beoming a potential harrasser and harming his career, but he was falsely accused of illegal acts by a concerted genuine conspiracy orchestrated by Jeffree, Shane, and Tati. He's made up with Tati, not the other two, because they are evil. I still find him not my cup of tea

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Honored Contributor

A lot of those "gurus" believe their own hype. I've unsubscribed to most of them. 

Trusted Contributor

I am glad to see a few others on here follow the Youtube beauty community.  I've watched for a few years now even before any drama started.  Sadly, it's become a train wreck but I still keep up with it.  

Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain    Excellent post.  You summerized it up pretty good.   I have only bought one Jeffree Star product which is the lip scrub.   I like it but probably won't purchase anything from his line again.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva @CoffeeNut @GenXmuse @Porcelain @monicakm 

If I were going to watch any enfluencer/blogger on makeup,

I would watch Nikol Johnson.  Highly educated, you'll really enjoy the professionalism and correct info.

Nikol Johnson Archives - NIKOL JOHNSON