Super Contributor

Anyone else using products for breakouts/clogged pores & anti-wrinkle?

I have products for breakouts and clogged pores (which I can't seem to get cleaned out.)  But I also want to incorporated some retinol products.  Would you mind sharing what routine works for both of these issues?  I am finding missing even one day of BHA makes my pores worse & like I mentioned, they aren't that great anyway.  I tried BHA and then a product with retinol, but it seemed too much for my  skin--dried out & irritated.  And when do I incorporated vit. C drops?  I would prefer to have a simpler routine. Some products I have are: a liquid BHA, a stronger foam BHA, a retinol serum, , a stronger retinol treatment (1%?), some vit. C drops, a serum with antioxidants but no retinol.  Any guidance would be appreciated. ~smiles, SnowKita

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone else using products for breakouts/clogged pores & anti-wrinkle?

Paula's Choice 2% retinol has changed my skin. I still describe myself as having huge clogged pores, but when I look in the mirror, that is simply noonger the case. I've only been using the PAulas choice for a month now, but my skin has never looked better. No exaggeration. I bought the 'gel' from her website but next time will buy the liquid. The gel balls under makeup and I like to use it morning and night.
Respected Contributor

@SnowKita  Does the retinol product(s) you are using have a lot of 'cones?  I ask because 'cones give me a lot of trouble with breakouts and blackheads.  I've heard of others having the same issue so maybe it's just a matter of changing up your retinol product?

Super Contributor

My 1% retinol is PC as well.  I didn't know she had a 2%.  So, you'd say stop the BHA and go retinol am and pm?  Guess I didn't realize retinol would help unclog pores so well.  Glad to hear your skin is better.  thanks for helping

Respected Contributor

I was prescribed Differin in generic since my attempts at Retin A were terrible. I use it every other nightand it has helped w/ nose/chin congested pores It is a retinoid, stronger than a retinol but not w/the irritation of RetinA. just a suggestion...

Honored Contributor

Paula's Choice 2% retinol or her 2% BHA, is there a difference.

I have been using her 2% BHA and I love it, I started every other night, now I am using it every night.

It seems to have cleared the very resistant zits I have on my nose

@CAshopper2011 wrote:
Paula's Choice 2%retinol has changed my skin. I still describe myself as having huge clogged pores, but when I look in the mirror, that is simplynoonger the case. I've only been using thePAulas choice for a month now, but my skin has never looked better. No exaggeration. I bought the 'gel' from her website but next time will buy the liquid. The gel balls under makeup and I like to use it morning and night.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Super Contributor

Hi BC.  Yes, the retinol and other serums have cones.  I hope that is not a  problem for me because I really like how serums/primers/sunscreens with them make my skin smoother.  Maybe if I can improve the actual texture of my skin, I will not need to smooth it out with 'cone' products?  Any recommendations for replacing my 'cone' antiox. serums and retinol products with something else?  thanks for helping

Honored Contributor

Is there some confusion here so far about PC's retinol and her BHA? I'm sensing that might be the case.

OP, if you've never had problems with silicones in products before (they're in so many), you probably shouldn't worry about it. Technically, speaking they really can't clog pores; and they do offer benefits to a formula and to your skin.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

I am confused too I do not see a 2% retinol on her website only the BHA.

suzyQ3 wrote:

Is there some confusion here so far about PC's retinol and her BHA? I'm sensing that might be the case.

OP, if you've never had problems with silicones in products before (they're in so many), you probably shouldn't worry about it. Technically, speaking they really can't clog pores; and they do offer benefits to a formula and to your skin.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox wrote:

I am confused too I do not see a 2% retinol on her website only the BHA.

@suzyQ3 wrote:

Maybe CAshopper2011 meant BHA instead of retinol.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland