Super Contributor

Re: Anyone else over the nude and neutral craze ?

Same here - I'm a golden skinned/natural blonde/blue eyed gal who looks like a corpse without any color.

Maybe those women who are like JLo, Halle Berry, etc. who have inky black eyes and eye lashes, brows, etc., can get by with the nudes, but not me.

And the white-ish lips of Shawn look like she's vomited and let it dry on her mouth. Not a fan.

Super Contributor

Can't wear Nude lipstick. It washes me out and makes me look like I have the flu........not my cup of tea.

Super Contributor

rather have the neutral, as compared to the blaring pink lipstick, and 7" lashes shown on Mally last night. Noticed on RHousewives that Tamra is now realy tightlining real WHITE on lower lid above her liner. what's with that? Is this the new thing to come. think I noticed Theresa doing it too??

Super Contributor

Do what works for you. I have never worn a nude lip and won't. I need the color. I also never stopped wearing lipstick even though it was out and gloss was in. Just didn't work for me. The "beauty" of beauty is you get to play and do what works best for you. Glad the rules of no white after Labor Day, etc are gone!!!

Trusted Contributor

On 7/30/2014 luv2playgolf said:
On 7/30/2014 Grade1Teach said:

I have worn nudes and neutrals for as long as I can remember. However, I am starting to get tired of seeing the same old palettes (eyes and lips). It seems that most companies assume that we only want to wear nudes.

I have been on the search for an AWESOME purple/lavender palette. There are a few nice ones out there, but nothing that really gets to me. I wish someone would come out with something really great this fall. It would be nice if they put the same thought and effort into creating a palette with color as they do with the neutrals and nudes.

I'm going to check out this new Stila Eyes Are The Windows palette today. They have it at Ulta. I like that it has neutral shades and purple shades. Sorry for the large picture.

Stila Body Eyes Are The Window Eyeshadow Palette

Thanks for the picture! I saw that palette online this week and it looks lovely. I'm just not sure I will use all the colors though -- I guess I'm looking for a more exclusive purple/lavender palette. I saw Smashbox has one online at Ulta. Thinking about it, but trying to hold out for the new fall palettes.

Let me know how you like this one!

Trusted Contributor

I have natural dark brown/with auburn hair and fair skin and the nude lip looks horrible on me. I wear what works for me not whats trending. I have my make-up updated every spring and fall at Chanel so I know what looks best. Personally, I feel several of the hosts on QVC would look a lot better with some color - a few of them look so washed out.

Super Contributor

On 7/29/2014 Lucky Charm said:

I have pink undertones and love a nude lip and nude shadow (and nude platforms!). You may not feel you look good in them, but I do!

Me too! I think it's a really flattering look on a "mature" woman such as myself. I think if you use the right tones of neutrals, the look can be really pretty.

I think many women that are say pink toned, using a yellow toned neutral palette, are going to be unhappy with the look. Same with a yellow undertoned woman using a pink toned neutral palette, it is going to look bad.

As long as you stick with a neutral/nude tone that works with your skin and get the right color intensity (that's important too) then usually it works.

For myself, I know that I need to stick with pink tones and berries, browns that are cooler and taupes that are cool. Works for me, it is my "comfort zone" in cosmetics.

Honored Contributor

I simply can't wear nude on my lips since it would be way too bland looking on my face. I also can't wear most pinks (wish I could!) because the colors look horrible on me. I tend to wear a lot of berries, reds, reddish brown...I need a deep color. I have brown eyes, hair & an olive complexion but will wear neutrals on my eyes.

Esteemed Contributor

I never got into the nude and neutral trend, so don't need to get over it. I'm a fair-skinned blonde (now with more gray than blonde) and I just look better with some color on my cheeks and lips. I don't like heavy eye makeup on anybody, especially me!, so have used taupes as eye shadow and brown mascara. I tried - I really tried - to like the neutral lips and cheeks, but all those beige ladies look like they have the flu to me.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Unless one is very lucky, the lips thin out as one grows older and the color drains from one's face. I was always fair, but with a pinker tone to my skin than I have now. I also had a full head of dark hair, and with my blue eyes and very full dark brows and lashes, I "naturally" had some color without makeup. In the fifties, no one went without lipstick. It just wasn't done.

Since I have aged, my hair has gone completely white/silver, I can't be in the sun at all so my skin is white, and my once full lips are much thinner. I look like a ghost without some color on my face. I wear powder only (have never worn liquid makeup), a little blush, go easy on the eye makeup, but never ever would I consider even going downstairs without a little color on my lips. I do not and never have liked "nude" lips and don't consider that "natural" looking at all. IMO, NO ONE looks good in it unless she is 20 or under. It just makes one's face disappear.

I do not like bright red shades . . . I wear more of a light plum shade or a mauve shade on my lips. There are many beautiful colors that make a huge difference in my appearance, and I would never go nude or, as some like to say, "natural." Not at age 76. That's like asking to be "wallpaper."

Some women don't care . . . and that's fine too. But as a deliberate fashion statement, IMO, nude is not the way to go.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986