Regular Contributor

Anyone else can't wear a liquid foundation?

I'm 58 with dry skin and fine lines. I've tried SO many liquid foundations because I'd like to even out my skin tone. However, every foundation I've tried seems to settle in my fine lines and pores and looks cakey, even if I just use a thin layer.

I'm thinking about trying a powder foundation like BE. Right now I'm just using a loose powder and that can look drying as the day goes on.

Any tips? Is it the way I'm using the foundation? I try to put it on with a blender sponge, a regular sponge, my fingers, tapping, pressing... no technique works for me! I've also tried using it with primer and without primer.. I always use a serum, moisturizer and sunscreen before foundation and let them sit and soak in first.

Is BE a good powder foundation? Any other recommendations?

Thank you!

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone else can't wear a liquid foundation?

Can you tell us what liquid foundations you have tried? Are you using a primer? Have you tried a foundation brush?

Respected Contributor

I'm 35 and can't use liquid foundation. It settles in my pores, and never gives me decent coverage. It always looks broken up on me. I've tried them all (most recently IT CC,) and I've tried all sorts of different application techniques. I always return to powder foundations. My favorite are Bobbi Brown Skin Weightless Powder Foundation and Laura Geller Baked Elements.
Super Contributor

I wish I could help, I'm a foundation addict, but I can't think of a solution based on your post. I would say most 58 year old women have dry skin and fine lines and are wearing liquid foundation successfully.

Maybe have your makeup done professionally, explaining to them your issues. Better yet, apply your makeup in front of them and maybe they can correct or improve your application method.

Most counters will do so for free. Go to a different one each week since makeup brands are different and most importantly, makeup artists all have their own twist.

Have you tried any of the new serum style foundations. They are very lightweight and liquid but deposit quite a bit of pigment. Since so little is used, maybe it won't settle in your fine lines. If you have the budget, Dior Nude Air is gorgeous. At the drug store, Maybelline Dream Fluide is beautiful.

Beauty blogger and YTer who loves it all! Cheers, Lulu Bea aka Lulu On Beauty - Let's be FACEBOOK beauty friends!
Super Contributor

OP, I am in your age group and never could wear a liquid foundation UNTIL I started using a foundation brush! Application using a brush is very easy and my foundation is flawless. I also use a primer, which I never used before, and I have to say the results are phenomenal. Good luck to you.
Contributor

I had pretty much quit using liquid foundation. Then I tried the Bare Essentials Bareskin. I love the way it feels, the way it is applied with it's own special brush, the tiny amount that is needed, and the excellent coverage.

It doesn't get in my lines because it's brushed on in circles. I think there's a video on The Q that shows more about it.

BTW, I was in your "age bracket" ...about 10 years ago. {#emotions_dlg.blush}

Contributor

I'm more than 20 years older than you are and have never been comfortable with liquid foundation. I always felt like it was suffocating my skin. I have been using Laura Geller's Balance and Brighten and it works very well for me. No pores showing, no settling in lines and wrinkles. I had tried it once before in the medium tone and it made me look muddy, so I tried the fair and it works perfectly. I like that it takes 2 minutes and I'm done. Bare Minerals showed lines and pores I didn't know I had!

I didn't make the print bold, I don't know how or why that happened.

Valued Contributor

Hello OP. I am the same age as you and I also have trouble wearing liquid foundations. Part of my problem is that I have combination skin and my T zone is very oily. The foundation that works best for me is the Tarte powder foundation. It works well on both the oily and dry areas and lasts all day. It has a nice natural finish, not too matte but not shiny either. I tried Bare Minerals powder foundation and the Bare Skin liquid and neither worked for me. It's so hard to find that perfect foundation and what works for one may not work for another. I wish you luck in your search.

Super Contributor

OP , I'm also in your age group & I used to wear BE over their clear primer . I loved its weightless , " no-makeup " feeling . It did show lines & pores tho, like you mentioned . The primer did help reduce that . I also have drier skin than a few years ago . ............I don't like liquid foundation, because I can feel it & depending on the brand , it looks like a mask .....especially the full coverage formulas . I recently tried IT CC VEIL compact/sponge foundation with SPF 50 . It feels weightless like the BE , but lines & wrinkles aren't enhanced . It's a very light coverage formula , but it works for me . The customer reviews say it's like your own skin but better . I just love it . The first order includes a brush . I press the brush into the sponge , and check that the brush is covered with the foundation . I dab it on forehead , cheeks & chin , then I go back and buff it in completely , all over my face . They stressed buffing it in like that , on the product presentations . At first I swept the brush across my face , but wasn't getting much coverage ; I'd have to re-coat the brush with more product at least two more times . At that rate , I knew I'd run out of product fast . Then one day I remembered Jamie said to " buff " the foundation in & I've had great results with only one application since then. I only add a little of Josie Maran's coconut water blush in a small jar & I'm done . I don't wear eyeliner or mascara ....sometimes just a little lip gloss & I'm done . I like a natural look which doesn't take long at all . The only customer complaint in the reviews , is that the foundation runs out quickly . I've only used it or about a month , so I can't attest to that ; I haven't run out yet tho . .........Also wanted to mention that this foundation lasts all day for me . After 8 hours , I don't have any shine .....never have to blot areas & reapply ( tho Summer isn't here yet , so who knows ? ) .....and my makeup looks as good at the end of the day , as it did in the morning . It's so natural-looking it just looks like great skin . Hope you find one that's right for you . Smiley Happy ............P.S. ....Sorry , OP , but I just remembered something else , about when I used the BE mineral foundation . I did notice it left a pearlized finish on my skin, which was only noticeable in outside light . It was similar to the formulas, that intentionally give an illuminated look to the face ( on purpose ) . IMO, it didn't look natural & looked like makeup . Sometimes I'd brush the BE mineral veil over the foundation , which gave it a matte finish I preferred . ....... The IT CC foundation in sponge compact I just switched to , doesn't leave any pearlized finish at all . It's just matte , yet not dry -looking .
Regular Contributor

Wow! Thank you everyone. Such good advice from all of you. I need to reread all your replies, and try your suggestions. Thank you!