Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone else annoyed by this---Laura Geller

[ Edited ]

Talc is NOT 'toxic. Where do people come up with such misinformation?

@KKJ 

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KKJ wrote:

@Nonametoday wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

I've used some LG products throughout the years with no probs, but one thing that bugs me is during her shows she goes on about her products being "paraben-free and gluten-free", leading one to think her stuff is so natural;, then when you read ingredient decks on her makeup, etc., it's fuul of chemicals---including talc!  Find it a bit misleading.

@KKJ   Are you not aware that talcum is a naturally occurring mineral in the soil, from which talc is made.

Yes I am aware of this. Perhaps "natural" was the wrong word. I'm just surprised as I didn't think cosmetic companies--especially high-scale ones like LG-- would still be using talc in their products as toxic as it is.   That's the main point I was trying to make--that she emphsizes during her shows that her products contain "no parabens" but then is loaded with talc &  chemicals.

Talc is not toxic. Are you confusing it with asbestos, which was found in some Johnson and Johnson talcum powder products?

Asbestos is also a naturally occurring mineral product and can cause cancer if asbestos dust or particulates are inhaled or ingested. Asbestos is still widely used today because it's not toxic in most conditions.

Everything is made up of chemicals, including you. 

The word "natural" is not synonymous with safe or healthy and "chemical" isn't synonymous with synthetic, harmful, or toxic.

It's better to be knowledgeable than fearful.

Esteemed Contributor

@Alison Wonderland 

Well, as long as you brought up this common misuse of the word "natural", I'll tell you what I think of everytime that word is used in this way.

Someone was going on about wanting "natural" ingredients in food, in makeup, etc.

The other person said, "Arsenic is natural, so I presume you wouldn't object to sprinkling that over your lunch.

Honored Contributor

I prefer to avoid products with talc in them.  

Respected Contributor

Unless a product is billed as "all natural" or "clean", then it's a given it isn't.  I don't find anything misleading in Laura's remarks.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I prefer to avoid products with talc in them.  

@Lipstickdiva   

I have asthma so I don't use talc but I am not going to try to take it off the market and deprive others.  Just like I cannot close the perfume counters down at every department store in the world.  I just don't go there any longer.  I order on line so that I don't have to take a breathing treatment before entering and upon exiting, use my inhaler.

Respected Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

@Alison Wonderland 

Well, as long as you brought up this common misuse of the word "natural", I'll tell you what I think of everytime that word is used in this way.

Someone was going on about wanting "natural" ingredients in food, in makeup, etc.

The other person said, "Arsenic is natural, so I presume you wouldn't object to sprinkling that over your lunch.

Ironically, @x Hedge, arsenic was used in many popular beauty treatments of the Victorian Era. Women used it to lighten their skin to appear to be as milky and pale as possible.

Esteemed Contributor

Good 'ol water is a chemical too.

I still on occassion use Shower to Shower on my arms, torso, and lower legs.

I just don't use it on my lady parts, that's where all the cancer cases came from (uterine, vulvar, cervical, etc)

The Sky looks different when you have someone you love up there.
Respected Contributor

@Alison Wonderland wrote:

@KKJ wrote:

I've used some LG products throughout the years with no probs, but one thing that bugs me is during her shows she goes on about her products being "paraben-free and gluten-free", leading one to think her stuff is so natural;, then when you read ingredient decks on her makeup, etc., it's fuul of chemicals---including talc!  Find it a bit misleading.

That doesn't sound misleading to me. Those claims sound very specific. I wouldn't assume something is natural because it's paraben and gluten-free, especially because gluten is natural and so are some parabens. So is talc, a natural mineral, so assuming something is "natural" isn't the same as saying something excludes talc - quite the opposite.

Did she say it was free of talc or anything else you found listed in the ingredients?

Also, everything is made up of chemicals, including everything natural, even people. We're all carbon-based lifeforms of mostly H2O.

I don't think Laura Geller is the person who has been misleading you.

Sorry- you are wrong. Not all products are made of chemicals. I but clean products - nothing fake in them. Yes, LG, Philosophy and many other Q products loaded with junk- I never buy beauty / body products from them. Stopped years ago.

Esteemed Contributor

@Alison Wonderland 

I recall when a friend freaked out because belladonna (poison nightshade) was listed in her medicine's ingredients. An example of a naturally occurring item, this one plant derived, that can be either helpful or harmful, depending on the dosage.