Trusted Contributor

Anyone do their own gel nails?

I have seen the gel nail kits at Sally beauty supply and online at Ulta. I am thinking of buying one to save money doing my own nails. I know it would take longer because you would have to wait to put your hand under the LED light after polishing one hand at a time. So I’m just wondering if anyone has Experience doing your own nails with one of these kits.
Thanks
Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone do their own gel nails?

I haven't but have watched a few you tube videos on it and it seems doable 

Respected Contributor

I did CND Shellac at home. It was gel polish that you used a light to cure.  The application was not much different than using a base coat, polish, top coat except for curing between steps. It never chipped but removing it was a pain.

Esteemed Contributor

I used it  and some of the the gel got on my table and removed the finish. 

Respected Contributor

@Steffdoggy10 wrote:
I have seen the gel nail kits at Sally beauty supply and online at Ulta. I am thinking of buying one to save money doing my own nails. I know it would take longer because you would have to wait to put your hand under the LED light after polishing one hand at a time. So I’m just wondering if anyone has Experience doing your own nails with one of these kits.
Thanks

I have been using it. Sally Hanson Amazon. Also got the top coat. You don't need a light, just give it the normal time to dry. It lasts longer than my regular polish, but I wash my dishes in the sink, have a dish washer, but live alone. I like it, not that expensive, give it a try. 

Esteemed Contributor

I recently purchased the Londontown set of gel like nail polish on HSN. (Item #729-502) at a great sale price.  I am in no way a manucurist but I have to say I did my own mani and pedi and did a decent job with this product!   It goes on smooth and holds up well.

I figure the more I practice the better I will get at it and it's saving me a bundle!  You don't need any light for it as it's just a good polish.   Just wanted to share , best of luck.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply in such detail about your own experiences! I will definitely be looking into these different products, thanks again!
Honored Contributor

I bought the Mally set way back when from QVC and ended up giving it away.

Polishing was easy enough but the removal was a pain.  I fairly recently took off my acrylic overlays and thought about buying the stuff to do the gel polish again and then remembered the removal and decided against it.  LOL    

Respected Contributor

I used to be an artificial nail addict. Acrylics off and on for years. Then gels. Then gel manicures. Finally gave it up for many reasons and have my own natural nails. Strong and long with daily applications of Hard as Hoof nail cream, strengthening products like Nail Envy, Sally Hansen Hard as Nails. They look good. I never enjoyed the salon experience- the Dremel file burning and ruining my nail beds for starters. The removal process, ugh. The time and money. And if I were to break a nail now, I don't have to go to the salon, wait, and pay for a fix. Often I see a gorgeous set of fakes and I'm tempted for like, a nanosecond. Lol 

Harmonize the World
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

No, I enjoy going to the nail salon.  I have hard gel nails & get a gel mani and gel pedi.  I enjoy the relaxation and have no desire to try to do it myself.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.