Regular Contributor

Re: Anyone do their own gel nails?

@Steffdoggy10  I would say it's definitely doable. My only experience is with Zoya Gelie-Cure. Honestly, I have too much fun changing polish every couple of days for gel to be a viable option. I'm retired, so I'm not under the same time pressure as if I was working. Back then I rarely wore polish. However, the quick dry top coats available now make a regular nail polish manicure so much faster than it used to be.

I do however find the "science" behind nail enhancements rather fascinating. The chemistry behind gel (and acrylic) is more complex than regular polish. I've been lucky enough to find out who a couple of the chemist experts in the field are and learn from their writings.

You didn't say whether you are considering gel polish or gel enhancements (hard or soft gel). I'm going to assume gel polish. I would recommend using a reputable brand WITH whatever lamp they recommend in order to minimize the risk of becoming allergic to one or more ingredients. Proper cure is essential (and impossible to caito without expensive equipment).

It's important to minimize contact of uncured product iwth your skin. To me this ties to having sufficient application skills tha you aren't getting polish all over your skin during the application process. 

As far as removal goes, you'll want some 100% acetone (there will still be a small amount of contaminents, so you want the acetone advertised as for nails; the kind at the hardware store may have contaminents you don't want your sking exposed to). You can buy pads specifically designed to wrap around your finger for removal. But you can also make your own with a piece of cotton ball wrapped around your nail with foil (heavy duty is better). Another option is buying a set of the clips designed to hold the cotton on. If you've soaked your nails for the recommended removal time and the polish does not remove easily, then re-wrap with some more acetone and wait a bit longer. I've seen it recommended to file the surface of the polish a bit with a coarse file first to break the seal. Much of the damage caused during removal is due to scraping too hard because nails haven't been soaked long enough (another source of damage is excessive buffing at the start of application)..

Don't underestimate how much difference wrapping the cotton ball onto the nail makes. I don't think I've ever had to soak more than 15 minutes when removing glitter. On the other hand I've literally spent almost an hour a few times when removing particularly stubborn glitters with just a cotton ball.