Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone color their hair silver?

@Shanus wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Ugh. Who would purposely make themselves look 20 years older? Siliver totally washes out your complexion. I swore, years ago, that it'd never, ever go gray and I'm living up to that promise. Woman Happy

@ID2   Wow, what a negative statement and not a universal opinion! When my hair was dark against fair skin at 68, it was quite harsh and THAT was more aging that the white hair I have now. Washing out complexions? Add a brighter lipstick and blush. Maybe the fear of aging is yours. Don’t put it on others who wish to look natural at their age. 

Ah, she says it every time the topic comes up.

It gets to a point where trying to cover the gray looks ridiculous on an older woman.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Ugh. Who would purposely make themselves look 20 years older? Siliver totally washes out your complexion. I swore, years ago, that it'd never, ever go gray and I'm living up to that promise. Woman Happy

@ID2   Wow, what a negative statement and not a universal opinion! When my hair was dark against fair skin at 68, it was quite harsh and THAT was more aging that the white hair I have now. Washing out complexions? Add a brighter lipstick and blush. Maybe the fear of aging is yours. Don’t put it on others who wish to look natural at their age. 

It gets to a point where trying to cover the gray looks ridiculous on an older woman.

@CelticCrafter   ...especially when DH has been grey for years. It’s perfectly acceptable for men. I didn’t want to look like I was clinging to that last gasp of “youth”. It never fools anyone. My 80 yr. old wrinkled aunt with black hair still walks proudly (with a cane or walker) next to my 85 yr. old bald/grey haired uncle. Who’s she trying to fool? She gets whispered about every where they go.

Honored Contributor

@Shanus  - is she my m-i-l!

Super Contributor

I don't understand why coloring one's white hair is considered "not natural", but wearing makeup would be acceptable.  After all, our naked skin is what's natural, without added lipstick, blush, mascara, etc.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

Ugh. Who would purposely make themselves look 20 years older?Siliverr totally washes out your complexion. I swore, years ago, that it'd never, ever go gray and I'm living up to that promise. womanhappyy:

There is no way silver hair makes anyone look 20 years older and coloring your silver hair does not make one look 20 years younger.  How silly, but I hear this often.  I think it is wishful thinking.

I am 65 and stopped coloring my hair 15 years ago.  My natural color is black. It is now a combination of silver and black.  I get asked all the time who highlights my hair.

I have had two doctors in the month of May that doubted me when they asked my age.  Both said they could not believe I was 60.  I had to remind them that I just turned 65.

Some of us ladies are "winters."  We do not look good in shades of blonde, red or light brown. And black dyed hair on a woman of a certain age, does us no favors.  Silver looks wonderful on us.  We love our "platinum blonde" hair.

For those women who can wear shades of red and blonds well, they can wear those colors well into their senior years, but that is not the case for all of us.

There is no one size fits all.

Honored Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

I have been coloring my hair a neutral light blonde for years. It is a good color, but I am thinking of using a silver permanent hair color. I do not like my natural white and gray color, which I have observed when I go six weeks withought coloring.

I wonder if any of y'all use a silver hair color application at home. If so, do you use a permanent or temporary product that you would recommend?

Before you "go silver" make sure silver is a good color for you.

Can you wear the color gray well, how about optic white? Do you look good with silver jewelry?  If you do, silver might be good for you.

But, if you look better in brown and cream colors and wear yellow gold jewelry, silver is not a good hair color for you and you probably should continue to color you hair light blonde if you do not like white and gray.  

Silver is a cool color and doesn't go well with people with warm colored completions.

Honored Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

I have been coloring my hair a neutral light blonde for years. It is a good color, but I am thinking of using a silver permanent hair color. I do not like my natural white and gray color, which I have observed when I go six weeks withought coloring.

I wonder if any of y'all use a silver hair color application at home. If so, do you use a permanent or temporary product that you would recommend?

@FLgardener 

I'm considering the exact same thing!  I've been lghtening my hair for years to camoflage the white/gray.  While I like it ... I'm looking for a change.  

I've been shampooing with Clairol Silver Lights (and conditioner) and it's toning down the blonde considerably .... and just this mornng was thinking about picking up a box of the silver hair dye.   I'll probably buy the dye this weekend ... but still have to think about it some more before I actually do anything.

I'm also thinking about having a consult with the woman who cuts my hair.  She's mentioned coloring a few times and I've just let the subject drop.  Maybe it's time to take action ....

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@Shanus wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

@CelticCrafter& @Shanus , really no need to compound @ID2 rudeness. Let's all choice what we like best for ourselves.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

My MIL & DH both have silver white hair which turned that color in their early 30's. I have bought DH dye but he does not use it. He did use it once. The color does not bother him. He tells the guys he works with at least I have some hair. LOL!!!

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@ID2 wrote:

Ugh. Who would purposely make themselves look 20 years older?Siliverr totally washes out your complexion. I swore, years ago, that it'd never, ever go gray and I'm living up to that promise. womanhappyy:

There is no way silver hair makes anyone look 20 years older and coloring your silver hair does not make one look 20 years younger.  How silly, but I hear this often.  I think it is wishful thinking.

I am 65 and stopped coloring my hair 15 years ago.  My natural color is black. It is now a combination of silver and black.  I get asked all the time who highlights my hair.

I have had two doctors in the month of May that doubted me when they asked my age.  Both said they could not believe I was 60.  I had to remind them that I just turned 65.

Some of us ladies are "winters."  We do not look good in shades of blonde, red or light brown. And black dyed hair on a woman of a certain age, does us no favors.  Silver looks wonderful on us.  We love our "platinum blonde" hair.

For those women who can wear shades of red and blonds well, they can wear those colors well into their senior years, but that is not the case for all of us.

There is no one size fits all.

You’re so right @Carmie . When I was a brunette, I tried every shade of medium brown, added a touch of Auburn and even various shades of highlights to try to lighten up my over all dark hair as I got older. They all looked horrible. I eventually realized the only thing to do was have the natural silver/white I was destined to have at 68.