Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone been taking Biotin for awhile?

I've taken it for many years. I switch among 3 different brands. Sometimes I'll stop taking for about 3 months and start back up again.

Respected Contributor

On 10/26/2014 pinkberry said: I have taken it for a few years now and don't honestly notice any difference in hair loss. I've even tried different brands and higher strengths, and seem to lose just as much hair now as before I started taking it. Perhaps I'll try just 3x a week.

I had noticed after taking it awhile, my hair was "wiry". Not really thinking what could be causing this, I mentioned it to my hair stylist. She asked if I was taking biotin. When I said yes, she said I might want to not take so much. I was taking it for my nails, & never noticed any major hair growth.

Super Contributor

On 10/26/2014 shoekitty said:
yOn 10/26/2014 rudy said:

It did and <em>still does</em> make my hair and nails grow like wildfire. It's never made my lashes grow.

I think to grow lashes you need the liquid form, like Rapid Lash. L contains Biotin, pantheonal (sp) and other conditioners. It works!!!. Biotin really helps with skin, nails (especially) and it does help with hair. I am 66 and it gives me tiny hairs that fill in the scalp/ My Mom is 93 and darn near bald! Biotin at 3,000 a day helped her so much her hair stylist made the a positive comment to the growth!! Of course everyone is sooooo different! What works for me, or my Mother might not work for another.

Hi shoekitty, Just now seeing your response. You've probably heard of this, but I've experienced almost unbelievable lash growth and fullness from my glaucoma eye drops. It's kinda nuts, but it really works well! Nice side benefit.

I'm also using Lancome Cils Booster XL Mascara Base. Fantastic product! So between the drops and Lancome, I have better lashes than I've ever had in my life.

Respected Contributor

I have taken Biotin for years, on my hairdressers recommendation. I have always had a problem with hair fall-out whether it be seasonally, medication or from dieting. The Hair, Skin and Nail vitamins seem to help. I have great nails, they are strong and grow like mad!! I have sensitive skin with occasional mild to moderate psoriasis issues so I figure it cannot hurt to take them. I have never taken a break from them, except to maybe switch up a brand, for 15 years.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Valued Contributor

I'd probably try a different brand or a different blend. Not all biotin is made the same.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

The hair, skin & nail supp I take does have 5 mg of Biotin, but also has collagen, grape seed extract, lycopene, coq10, lutein, etc. It's better to take a blend of skin care ingredients than to hit your body with a massive dose of biotin! You'll see better results that way.

Super Contributor

not all brands are equal. try switching to another brand from a health food store.

Contributor

I have taken it for 14 years and then stopped for about 4 months and I think it was making a difference so I am back on it. I use Jarrow.