Esteemed Contributor

Thanks, @juperier3  for that possible explanation.  Back then, someone else told me I should've quit using Nailtiques 2 and switched to Nailtiques Maintenance Formula.  I just quit using hardeners and polishes completely for several months.  Worked for me!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

Got way too thick, had to toss it, never bought it again. I prrefer other products that cost a lot less and work better. 

Sally Hansen Mircale Growth, gold top, gold bottle. 

Valued Contributor

I always buy the smallest bottle for this reason. It does get thick, but it is a very good product.

Contributor

I don't log on very often, but I had to with this post!  LOL!  I love Nailtiques but had the same issue, but that didn't stop me because it worked so well.  My nails seems to want to split in layers?!?!  Anyway, I have discovered Ella and Mila's version.  It's called First Aid Kiss.  I love it!  So far, no thickening.

Respected Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I have started using Nailtiques Formula 2 for my nails.  I really like especially since it doesn't turn my nails yellow like some others. 

Does anyone have a problem with it getting thick at the halfway point?

It's not cheap for such a tiny bottle and not happy about it. 

Does it always do this or maybe I got a bad bottle.

Any comments are appreciated for those who use it. 

TIA

Yes, they all get thick. You need to add nail polish thinner. Some Nailtiques sets come with thinner that has protein in it, but most do not. You can use any nail polish thinner in your Nailtiques. I use the one from Sally Beauty (Beauty Secrets thinner) because it's easy to find and inexpensive.

You can either add thinner when the polish (ANY polish) starts to get thick or stringy or you can add a drop or two of thinner after each use and keep it from getting thick.

Respected Contributor

@tototwo wrote:

I used it a few years ago -- it worked beautifully to stop my nails from peeling and cracking at first.  My nails were absolutely gorgeous for about 6 months........... then it just quit working or my nails became immune to it.  Don't know.  But after about 6 months of regular use, my nails were worse than they were before I used Nailtiques.  I quit using it and my nails improved.

Nailtiques comes in different formulas and they all have different levels of protein to address different issues. You use a problem formula (2, 3, or 2+) to get your nails back to a healthy state and then you need to switch to Formula 1, the maintenance formula. Most people don't read the directions included with the packaging or don't remember to switch and that causes problems.

Too much protein can cause nails (and hair, if you use hair care with protein) to become dry and brittle. That's why it's important to switch.