Respected Contributor

I have started using Nailtiques Formula 2 for my nails.  I really like especially since it doesn't turn my nails yellow like some others. 

Does anyone have a problem with it getting thick at the halfway point?

It's not cheap for such a tiny bottle and not happy about it. 

Does it always do this or maybe I got a bad bottle.

Any comments are appreciated for those who use it. 

TIA

Trusted Contributor

I've used it, & had the same issue with it getting thick. 

Trusted Contributor

@Sunshine Kate wrote:

I have started using Nailtiques Formula 2 for my nails.  I really like especially since it doesn't turn my nails yellow like some others. 

Does anyone have a problem with it getting thick at the halfway point?

It's not cheap for such a tiny bottle and not happy about it. 

Does it always do this or maybe I got a bad bottle.

Any comments are appreciated for those who use it. 

TIA

I used Nailtiques for about a year some time ago and, YES, the product became unusable with more than 1/2 bottle used.

I stopped using it because I didn't want to use a product with Formaldehyde.

I was able to start growing my nails using certain supplements.

Regular Contributor

I stopped using it several years ago and changed to OPI Nail Envy and love it.

Trusted Contributor

I found Nailtiques to be the most effective nail product for me.  Yes, it does get thicker over time, but I also bought the thinner that they also sell and it worked very well.   Even with taking supplements for the nails, I found that Nailtiques reinforced the growth very nicely.  I will buy it again.

Valued Contributor

I like Nailtiques, too.  My nails always looked healthy and never got yellow.  I bought the thinner and always have bought the smallest bottle so in case I had to toss it, I would be OK.  I usually bought from their web site and they always sent me a good sized bottle of something else to try for free.

Regular Contributor

@Sunshine Kate  As others have mentioned, you do need to purchase and use the special thinner they sell to replace the solvents that evaporate and keep it usable.

Also, be sure to follow their instructions. If you use it continuously, it's very possible for your nails to become too "strong." Nails need some flexibility. I found it wasn't the product for me since my nails are already dry and brittle. 

Esteemed Contributor

I used it a few years ago -- it worked beautifully to stop my nails from peeling and cracking at first.  My nails were absolutely gorgeous for about 6 months........... then it just quit working or my nails became immune to it.  Don't know.  But after about 6 months of regular use, my nails were worse than they were before I used Nailtiques.  I quit using it and my nails improved.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
New Contributor

I have the worst thin nails and hair with taking every vitamin in the book. i gave up nailtiques to try perfect 10. what a mistake.

A spa associate told me to apply number 2 nailtiques and then a top coat of number 1 for healthy nails on top. I have- and had the best nails ever by doing this!

Wont try anything else anymore.

Regular Contributor

@tototwo   I was going to include a similar comment. But it's been so long since I researched this that I don't remember the chemistry behind it. It takes up to 6 months for a nail to completely regrow. While the nail may look great while it's growing out, the constant use of a strengther/hardener essentially makes the distal edge of the nail too hard and brittle (remember the farther the nail is from it's starting point, the more exposure it has had to the ingredients that are strengthening/hardening the nail. By the time it becomes the free edge it is simply to hard and brittle to not be easily subject to splitting and/or breakage when it no longer has the nail plate to support it.

I also learned from an international nail expert that overuse of strengtheners is a common cause of onycholysis (lifting of the nail plate from the nail bed). There are also MANY other causes. But that's one of the first things he asked me about, and very likely the cause of the slightly lifted nail I had at the time.