Valued Contributor

Re: Anyone UNDERSTAND the Perricone TSV?

[ Edited ]

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

I used Renova and Retin A and yes they do help I think for sure but did they find out it can make your skin thinner?

That's a myth and always has been. Ask any dermatologist and they will explain that the opposite is true. Retin-A only "thins" the layer of dead skin cells so they are sloughed off  more easily, which is exactly what we want to happen so Retin-A can penetrate deeper into the skin. Once there, Retin-A stimulates collagen production (proven by science), which is why lines and wrinkles start to fade ... the skin "plumps up" the way our skin was in our youth.

Esteemed Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@nana59 wrote:

aspengrove--any hints about the products that have been working for you?!

Hah! Yes, @nana59.  Didn't mean to be mysterious! My derm, of course, made sure I was using daily SPF, which I was. She was thrilled that I was/am using Elta MD 41 tinted because she said it's one of the best mineral (no chemicals) sunscreens on the market. So, every morning I use a moisturizer (of my choice) because I have dry skin and then apply Elta MD sunscreen right over it. That's it!

And, she started me on prescription Renova (tretinoin/Retin-A in a moisturizing base) every night. That's it! I used the name brand until a generic became available. I've seen the cumulative results that the scientific double blind clinical studies—that were done over a period of 10 years on real humans—revealed.  As my derm explained, SPF (of at least 30 for daytime) and tretinoin/Retin-A for nighttime remain the only PROVEN BY SCIENCE "anti-aging" ingredients.

I should note, also, that I asked my derm about all the research on peptides, DMAE, and other ingredients that marketers say are miracle potions and she showed me the actual studies done on some of those ingredients. Some were only done in consumer studies and all the others were done only in vitro (in test tubes) NOT on real human skin (that was attached to real humans) in double blind clinical studies! Big, big difference.

Thanks, aspengrove.......

Trusted Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

I apologize if I am being redundant!

They had 2 - 1 hour shows that I watched part of.  I STILL don't really understand WHY these products work.

Am I the only one that's not impressed by how good it is, how good Dr. Perricone is, blah, blah, blah.

Am I the only one who wants the SCIENCE behind WHY this product would work???

No, I can't be the only one!

Hyacinth   Cat Frustrated

You aren't the only one.  The claim "this does everything" is outrageous.  There has been no attempt to list ingredients responsible for "everything".  "His neuropeptide" has no name.  We've seen better after photos from Aquapress- water held to the face with a sponge to hydrate and plump up the skin. The crafty play of light and shadow aren't quite enough to produce a visible difference worth $700.00. 

What's in these products? How do these secret ingredients work any differently from the multitude of similar products?  Why did he hide this miracle for 11 years?  Why give it away today?  Good grief,  we'll buy anything won't we?  

It is sad that women are willing to pay $700.00 for two products with, as you point out, no sound scientific foundation . Paula warned us about Dr P. long ago and it seems the unfounded claims can indeed become more farfetched.  Though I question some of her recent decisions I don't dismiss her research. If anything, I've been persuaded to go to PC.com and order everything in every line.  I'll have spent less money and guaranteed myself at the very least, effective cleansing, antioxidants, anti aging peptides of all kinds, safe exfoliation, retinol and moisture.

Trusted Contributor

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

I used Renova and Retin A and yes they do help I think for sure but did they find out it can make your skin thinner?

@DowntonAbbey - My derm will not prescribe Renova/RetinA to patients over the age of 50, because it has never been tested on individuals over 50 and because it thins the outer layer of the epidermis.  He recommends the use of peptides, hyalauronic acid, AHA, BHA etc. instead.  My derm does not sell any OTC skincare products.

@(-_-)@ ~lyn~
Birman =^..^= Servant
Member since 04.2007

Regular Contributor

You use the brown bottle first and then the product in the tube.  LOVE Perricone.  I have used it for 16 years.  I always get compliments on my skin.  I never did before I used Perricone.

Respected Contributor

I have nothing AGAINST the Perricone products, but I am frustrated watching an hour long show and not understanding the real WHY I should buy them.

I get it (from Dana) that Dr. Perricone is the greatest anti-aging scientist out there.  That these products will make your skin GREAT and take away sun damage, wrinkles, and improve texture.

Excuse me for feeling I want to understand WHY they work.  Not just THAT they work!  I am fairly educated about skin care.  So, just excitement doesn't work for me.

I actually watched part of the 2am show (another hour) with a different rep from Perricone.  Dana is short on actual info, so I thought someone else might be different.  Not really!

And I would like to see MORE before/after photos.  If it IS that good, why not show 20 different subjects?  However, I have this issue with MOST other brands too.

I want to know what is so good about these products that they would cost $795 without the TSV.  I can get generic Retin-A for about $30, and it is widely accepted as a gold standard.  And I can get a good Vitamin C serum for about the same.

Does QVC think we are that air headed???

Hyacinth    Cat Frustrated

Respected Contributor

I had a bottle of a Perricone product several years ago, a small trial size for day use as well as a tube of that neuropeptide cream (that I returned after 30  days). Always trying stuff to keep those pesky wrinkles at bay. Well went to my derm because at 57 (then) I kept breaking out. Mind you I have had pimples since I was 12!!! So it was hormonal acne.  I got the REAL liquid gold...retin a. I asked her about the Perricone stuff I took with me. So She just shook her head and said she wished she would have been that slick to purport stuff like that. Its nothing more than a heavy moisturizer - most of it. Any heavy moisturizer will keep the appearance of wrinkles at bay...she emphasized the word APPEARANCE...as does the Perricone rep.  Bottom line...nothing has been proven effective to keep wrinkles away except what I am lucky enough to have  -  retin a. Although I no longer break out, I have been fortunate to continue to have it prescribed. My insurance picks up the tab so I pay $10 a tube.  And no, at 60 I do not have any wrinkles anywhere...just a few small lines at the corners of my eyes but that's expected by now.  I just cannot fathom how this line can justify these claims or prices. What's more, how can anyone justify paying for it. Mr. Perricone never shows his face because it looks like a leather pocketbook. So much for his miracle anti aging line.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so brown bottle first then neuropeptie cream but then its ok to use a moisturizer?  Thank you

Trusted Contributor

With these GOLD products I wonder what we can stop using of Perricone that we are using?

Respected Contributor

@DowntonAbbey wrote:

Thank you so brown bottle first then neuropeptie cream but then its ok to use a moisturizer?  Thank you

Yup - and if you have combo type skin the neuropeptie (tube) may be enough of a moisturizer for you.