Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Thinking Of Buying A Wig

Back in the 60's when wigs became very popular, although I had beautiful hair at that time (my beautician used me as a hair model in hair shows he participated in and I was also told I had movie star hair) Oh well, that was many years ago and my hair has sure changed!

But any way, even though I had great thick hair then, I became intrigued with wigs.  I had a blond page boy, a red flip, a frosted short one, a fall in my natural color and several hair pieces to incorporate into different styles.

My neighbor hair has thinned a lot as she aged and she bought a short, grey wig (like her natural hair) from a catalog and when she wears it, she looks like a different person.  Like her younger self.

My hair's major probem now is thinning at the crown and it is not nearly as think as it used to be.  I think my best bet would be a hairpiece for the crown that blends in to my longer hair.  A wig would be good too.  I will check out the toni bratton TVS and may look into purchasing a wig.  Now would be the time to play around with one before going out in the public.  I think that wll be one of my projects for next week to investigate wigs on line.

Any suggestions for a good source on line?

Occasional Contributor

My hair is thinning on the crown. I just bought a hair topper from Godiva Secret Wigs and I really like it. It matches my hair color and although it is synthetic, it looks like real hair. It hides the thinning area and it also hides the grey roots. I'm considering purchasing one of their wigs. The reviews are very good.
Regular Contributor

Wigs are great and so are the hairpieces...Ive worn all of them and would not know  what I would do if  we didn't have them....This is the perfect time to try any of them....Remember it takes time to get use to the look and the color best if its the color of your hair now...I like PAULA  YOUNG....and so does my daughter....She would help me in my shop and had great fun helping women find their color and style....She wears pony tales and they match so well you would never  know.  Watch Tony B. she has great tips .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Avalon Lace Front Wig - Wigs

I have worn wigs for years.  I used to sell them  at a Merle Norman store years ago.  I have been letting my hair go gray for several years (something I thought I'd never do).  Right now I am loving this gray color called Chrome RT1B (color above on model)  It's a rather exotic gray  (very dark roots) and I get more compliments on it than any wig I have ever worn and I have worn dozens.  My wig is of course not as long as the models above.  Right now I have this color in a layered chin length bob called, Deena, by Estetica wigs.  Actually, I have worn  wigs for almost 20 yrs. No one knows it if don't tell them.  If anyone get's a wig they should read up on how to get them to look natural.  Cysterwigs, Wigs By Patti's Pearl, Godiva Secret Wig, taz's wig closet, crazy wig lady, and dozens more on youtube. 

Edited this to say....Oh, I forgot probably one of the best youtubers on showing how to work with a wig is Jill Lynn's Beauty Therapy.  Her last few wig video's have been on the Toni Brattin wigs she bought from QVC.

Honored Contributor

I'm getting the TSV. I've never had a wig, other than a "play" one when I was younger, so I thought now would be a good time to play around with one. My hair is longer (thanks to WEN), and it'll be fun to be "short" once in a while! Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

I bought one a few months ago and returned it the next day. Just awful.
Esteemed Contributor

@beachmom. I opened a new topic on his this morning. I never ordered Ron worn a wig before but I did order the TSV in the Anytime style in the dark red. I have short dark red auburn hair and I need help. Hopefully with the 90 day return policy it may get me through this difficult time
Honored Contributor

I bought the TSV---had 3 wigs during chemo that looked and felt great but I gave them to the local cancer store--wish I kept one---but my hair is driving me insane --look like a shaggy dog and not as cute---been months since my last cut----

Honored Contributor

I just checked when I ordered the TB wig - it was a year ago - 4/20/19.  

=======================

@ALRATIBA wrote:
I bought one a few months ago and returned it the next day. Just awful.

Valued Contributor

I sometimes see women wearing the shopping channel wigs and they look fake to me. I recognize the styles. I suppose a high quality wig would be harder to spot.