Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone Else Miss This Shampoo?

@San Antonio Gal, I rinsed my hair in real beer. Even though I remember Body On Tap and all the other great old brands mentioned above, I used whatever shampoo Mom got at the store.
* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I remember using Herbal Essence in college....at that time I had a full head of hair that had never been colored.  Loved the scent...always thought of a rain forest.  Today...thin colored hair that has to be pampered with all kinds of concerns of what is added or not added to my shampoo along with a laser helmet to encourage growth.  (Although, I have not colored my hair for several months and, oddly, it looks like the white/blond of my childhood...totally unexpected.)

The scent of HE is seductive,  it was one of those shampoos that was only a cleanser and not known for its healthy hair benefits....but we sure did smell great!

Frequent Contributor

I miss ALL of them!  

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@just bee @I loved Flex shampoo and conditioner.  I can close my eyes and smell it! 

Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo wrote:
@San Antonio Gal, I rinsed my hair in real beer. Even though I remember Body On Tap and all the other great old brands mentioned above, I used whatever shampoo Mom got at the store.

I too rinsed my hair with beer at one time back then ,   Although my dad wasn't happy I in his opinon wasted his beer lol !   Lemon juice wAs another thing  I remember to bring out the blonde .

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just wanted to add that -  Herbal Essence shampoo is currently made by Proctor and Gamble.

Bottles of Herbal Essences shampoo and conditioners top collections

Trusted Contributor

I bought a bottle of Body on Tap shampoo when it first came out because my SIL swore by it, gave her hair lots of body, it didn't do too much for my hair.  Another SIL (her sibling) used real beer to rinse her hair but it got too expensive due to the amount of hair she had, long and thick, that treatment didn't last too long, but she too swore the beer gave her hair lots of body.

Respected Contributor

Just thought of the other shampoo that was all the rage at that same time.....Protein 21 The shampoo that was supposed to repair split ends. My hair was down to my waist then and so thick there wasn't enough Tame to settle it down !

Prior to those "new" shampoos I used Egg Shampoo, the only thing really available, or the only thing my Mom had in the house! It was in a huge bottle and was sparkly yellow!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I LOVED the smell of Herbal Essence shampoo!!!!

There was a strawberry-scented shampoo that I really liked, too.  If I were to smell it now, it would take me back to my sophomore year in college. 😁

Honored Contributor

Wow! @4kitties - thank you for posting!

When my mom died there was a bottle in the shower. I used it constantly, and before I knew better- and before DH - I would take our kitty in the shower with me and wash her with it (my parents' bathtub had a sliding door at the time). 

So I brought that bottle home with me and took it out to smell every once in a while. I finally threw it out, just one or two years ago. I felt like I was parting with a piece of my history!  Smiley Sad