Valued Contributor

Anyone Else Finding Vit C Drying on Their Skin?

I just started using a 20% vit C with hylauronic acid morning and night and use moisturizer  over it but my skin is still feeling taught and dry.  I am a Retin A user and that doesnt dry me out.  Could it be the C ?  Ive heard for years it's so great for aging skin but wasnt expecting dryness.  TIA

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone Else Finding Vit C Drying on Their Skin?

No, it should not be drying your skin out.  I can't use over 15% or I will get irritation/dryness though.  I also use a good moisturizer with it.

Regular Contributor

I would only use it once a day.  That percentage you are at maybe a little high if you are just starting out with a C product. 

Honored Contributor

I would say that you might be using a C serum that is too high in concentration. Go with a lower strength and see if that helps. Also, sometimes HA serums or creams can dry your skin depending on the environment you are in. They work better in humid conditions. In drier climates HA tends to pull moisture from your skin rather than the air around it. I live in a dry environment and I don't use HA products on my skin for this reason.

Honored Contributor

I haven't experienced this, @virgosun, but you really don't need to use your Vitamin C twice a day.  I'd suggest just keeping it in your AM routine.

That said, I tried the Isomers Glutathiosome Serum (contains MAP) a couple years ago and liked it, but ended up cancelling the A/D.  I ordered again when the bonus size was the recent TSV on Evine.  I've been using it for about two weeks and am really happy to have rediscovered this product.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee ~ thanks for the info on HA.  Living in the high desert

for 18 years, I wish I would of known that.  I also wish skincare producers Like Manuela/Darius of Isomers and Dimitri of Skinn

would mention that HA is not necessarily a moisture magnet for those living at high altitude locations.   Guess their deep pockets aren't "filled" enough to mention this to high altitude residents/customers.  Such greed😆

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

for 18 years, I wish I would of known that.  I also wish skincare producers Like Manuela/Darius of Isomers and Dimitri of Skinn

would mention that HA is not necessarily a moisture magnet for those living at high altitude locations.   Guess their deep pockets aren't "filled" enough to mention this to high altitude residents/customers.  Such greed😆

I think I read somewhere that only about five to six percent of the US is considered desert and then there are those of us who live above 6,000 feet which really isn't  that many people compared to rest of the nation. So we are in the minority @AKgirl2Woman Happy. Selling stuff to the masses is how they make money.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

I think I read somewhere that only about five to six percent of the US is considered desert and then there are those of us who live above 6,000 feet which really isn't  that many people compared to rest of the nation. So we are in the minority @AKgirl2Woman Happy. Selling stuff to the masses is how they make money.

Living above 6000', I still wish I had known about the HA moisture thing, and certainly would of saved a lot of $$$.  Where did you read or hear about this?  As I've gotten older, skin has changed so much, and still looking for a moisturizer that works!  Last purchase was LeMer, which was better than "all" the rest I've tried, but so pricey:/  Really would love to try LaPrairie Skin Caviar Luxe Cream,

but at $440 for 1.7 ozs., I'd have to come into a windfall of $$$!

Maybe Nordstrom's online would send a sample...they're so wonderful and generous about giving customers product samples.  I've gotten many wonderful ones, which I buy now.

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2,

I'm glad that you found my post about HA informative. I found this out when I started making my own vitamin C serums years ago. This information I read was in numerous articles all over the internet. So finally I decided not to buy any skincare products that contained HA, especially the ones that say "with HA" or something similar in wording. I think many people don't really understand the mechanism of how HA works on the skin. It's actually too big of a molecule to penetrate the skin. It just sits there on the surface where it seeks water from wherever it can get it. It does not moisturize the skin but will keep water on the skin if there is water in the air to be gotten. Otherwise it sucks it right out of the skin, temporarily making it feel moist on the surface.

You can always carry with you a bottle of water and mist your face throughout your day....like a gazillion times day where I live, it's so dry here....LOL!Woman LOL

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@AKgirl2,

I'm glad that you found my post about HA informative. I found this out when I started making my own vitamin C serums years ago. This information I read was in numerous articles all over the internet. So finally I decided not to buy any skincare products that contained HA, especially the ones that say "with HA" or something similar in wording. I think many people don't really understand the mechanism of how HA works on the skin. It's actually too big of a molecule to penetrate the skin. It just sits there on the surface where it seeks water from wherever it can get it. It does not moisturize the skin but will keep water on the skin if there is water in the air to be gotten. Otherwise it sucks it right out of the skin, temporarily making it feel moist on the surface.

You can always carry with you a bottle of water and mist your face throughout your day....like a gazillion times day where I live, it's so dry here....LOL!Woman LOL

Now I know why my facial and body skin felt dryer and became flaky.  I had purchased Isomers pure HA when Manuela was selling it on Evine, 

and blended it with my face and body moisturizers :/  I drank lots of water, but pretty much stopped sprizting my face...isn't too much out there that will help keep dry skin moisturized at 6750'.