Contributor

Re: Anybody with fine, thin, bone-straight hair?

I've struggled with thin,straight, baby-fine, easily damaged hair all of my life. I stopped using harsh hair coloring (Feria used to be a favorite) and daily heat several years ago and I also stopped cutting it. Now I use Madison Reed color, wash, condition, let it air dry on day one and on day 2 and day 3 I use dry shampoo and Caruso Steam Rollers to get this effect. I use a little hair spray with a light hold (Aussie) and call it a day. I have a natural cow lick that  used to drive me insane but I've learned to work with it and it actually gives my flat hair a little boost at the top. Don't mind the book photo, I took this for my blog over the summer.

hair.jpg

Super Contributor

My solution for 30 years is to wear a wig. 

Seriously, I could work on my hair and make it presentable, but once there was a puff of wind, rain, or humidity, it was over. I just have always had thin and fine hair without a ton of hair follicles. 

Until recently I have been a little embarrassed to wear a wig, but the older I get, I don't really care.  I always have a good style and know it looks better than my own hair ever would.

i think if people understood how easy and time saving wearing a wig is, the more would do it. 

I had an older lady tell me to just put it on and don't say anything about it. The trick is to wear the wig regularly because it would be very obvious if I didn't have it on. 

Respected Contributor

For the first time in 5 years I decided to not put leave-ins or oils in my  hair and to my suprise it never looked better. I shampooed with Joico Volume.  Hair looked thick, felt thick and was strong and shiney and so healthy looking. I guess less,  much less is more!

Esteemed Contributor

The OP asked for anybody with 1. fine, 2. thin, and 3. bone straight hair.  But I noticed that a lot of the responses have two but not all three of these.  I can tell you from experience that it's the combination of all three that causes major problems.  If I were to wear my hair shoulder length like some of you have mentioned, my ears would stick out!  No joke.  Not enough hair to cover them. Woman Sad As for not using hair products, are you kidding?  Without any volumizer or hair spray, my hair resembles a newborn's. The only thing that works for me is a short pixie cut, along with volumizer.  I blow dry using a dryer shaped like a round styling brush, so that my hair curves, not curls.  Then I spray with a finishing spray - otherwise it will be lying flat on my head again in 10 minutes.  I can get away with a second day before I have to wash it and start over again.  But it's worth it, because I do get compliments on my hair and people are disbelieving when I describe how thin it is.  If there was one thing on my body I could change, it would be my hair! 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Contributor

I do have all three issues. On day one after a shampoo and light conditioner I usually stick it up in a bun or a side braid otherwise it looks quite thin and terrible. Day 2 I use dry shampoo mostly at the roots and then I comb through. It adds just enough volume that  I don't need to use heat or other products besides a little hair spray. The last time, about 6 years ago, when I went for a cut I had day 2 hair and the stylist was surprised when it was washed and dried at how broken and choppy and thin it was because the steam curls had disguised it pretty well. I've also started using a product from Target for women that encourages hair regrowth. I heard about it on a Paula's Choice podcast years ago.  I use it at the temples where it was starting to get so thin you could see my scalp. I'm 47 and this started about 3 years ago. 

Valued Contributor

Me for sure.

I have it cut shoulder length.  I have really been liking the Alterna Caviar volumizing spray (purple roundish bottle) or the bumble and bumble blow dry cream (blue tube).  Then I use either the Calista perfecter OR the similar item made by Chi.  Then yes, lots and lots of hairspray...

Another method is I use a volumizing mousse on my hair, rough dry, then apply heat protectant hold spray and use my beachwaver.  I have to use the 0.75 inch with tons of hairspray on a non-humid day to get my hair to hold a curl.

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361,   Okay, I do not have fine, straight hair but what you need is a thickening product.  My hair is normal but sort of on the fine line.  I use a thickening product and it does make my hair thicker but washes out when you shampoo.

kindness is strength
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

The blunt cut is great! But I have found that the undercut looks like a blunt cut, but is just so slightly layered so as to make it like a blunt cut, which I love. Only you and your hairdresser know there are a few almost unnoticeable layers. My hair was cut June 5, and just in the last few days has started looking a little flippy. "Undercut" is the key, and I didn't find out about it til I was in my 40s. Highly recommend investigating that cut!

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee I received my Voloom from Amazon this week and I used it this morning for the first time. I LOVE it!!! Thank you for telling me about it! I had never heard of this device before this thread. It really worked well with my hair. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361,

I am so happy for you! Glad you found something that works for you. I love mine so much that I had to let others here know about it! Enjoy your new-found thick hair.Woman Very Happy