Respected Contributor

Re: Anybody with fine, thin, bone-straight hair?

@SilleeMee wrote:

Thank you for your kind words @Goldengate8361.Woman Very Happy Which size 
Voloom did you get? I find that the petite one works really well even for longer hair. I don't use my full-size one anymore since I got the petite one. It's also lighter and easier to hold and manipulate. I hope you will like it. Please post your review here after you receive your new Voloom!Woman Happy

Question about Voloom: After using do you still use curling iron or hot rollers? Do you use styling products with Voloom?

Honored Contributor

I have thin, fine, poker straight hair.  My hair has been cut in a longer layered bob for a very long time. Sometimes I vary it and do it shorter in the back, angled to longer in the front.  Right now it's the same length front to back.

I have found that less is more with my hair.  The more styling products I use to give it body/volume, the worse it is.  I shampoo, use a spray leave-in conditioner, use a volumizing or body building mousse, style it and use hairspray.  I cannot stand helmet head sprays so that is the hardest product for me to find. 

I have also found that I cannot wear my hair longer than shoulder length.  Any longer and it just looks straggly and thinner.           

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@granddi wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

Thank you for your kind words @Goldengate8361.Woman Very Happy Which size 
Voloom did you get? I find that the petite one works really well even for longer hair. I don't use my full-size one anymore since I got the petite one. It's also lighter and easier to hold and manipulate. I hope you will like it. Please post your review here after you receive your new Voloom!Woman Happy

Question about Voloom: After using do you still use curling iron or hot rollers? Do you use styling products with Voloom?

@granddi,

Before using the Voloom style your hair as usual. Keep any styling products away from the root area. After you are finished with your routine of using your rollers, curling iron or whatever then take the Voloom and do your root areas only. Do not crimp the hairline around your face or the hair close to it where the crimps can be seen. Use the Voloom where you might normally need to back-comb or apply volumizing products. The Voloom replaces the need for back-combing and the use of volumizing products. It will take a little bit of practice to get your hair just right but after that I think you'll like it a lot. HTH Woman Happy

ETA:  I would not recommend the Voloom for very short hair because it will make obvious and visible "crimps" in your hair which would be best camouflaged with medium to longer length hair.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Doesn't HSN sell the Voloom?

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

No, not any more. HSN is where I first saw it and bought it. I know it's an expensive device, about $130. But for me it's worth it. @Lipstickdiva 

If you want an "easy-pay" option, I suggest buying the Voloom from a third-party seller on Walmart's site. You will have the option to purchase it with a 6-month-no-interest if you use PayPal Credit as your method of payment. This is what I did to buy the Petite Voloom. 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

No, not any more. HSN is where I first saw it and bought it. I know it's an expensive device, about $130. But for me it's worth it. @Lipstickdiva 

If you want an "easy-pay" option, I suggest buying the Voloom from a third-party seller on Walmart's site. You will have the option to purchase it with a 6-month-no-interest if you use PayPal Credit as your method of payment. This is what I did to buy the Petite Voloom. 

@SilleeMee, thanks for the info.  I just swore I remembered seeing it presented on HSN.   

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Ok--I do and I have always used many volumizing products and have always used big hot rollers to try to poof it anyway possible. Then, I've use a ton of hair spray. I'm thinking about letting it go relatively straight - without the hot rollers and so much goop. If you also have this type of hair, how do you style it! Also, how do you have it cut? I could really use some advice! 

You have to find someone who knows how to cut it.   It has to be shaped and at least slightly layered correctly so it will not look like someone just put a bowl on your head.  So for most of my life, I would wear it short if I found someone who knew how to cut it or just grew it long and kept it up or back.

I refuse to style it or waste money on goop & glop.    I want "wash & go".   If you get a good cut, it will work and look great.

Right now I'm having pretty good luck using the walk-in places, so I've been keeping it short, about chin-length. Not a bob!   More like a "lob", a bit shorter in the back than the front.    I'm due for a cut now.

Respected Contributor

Yep. I have my hair side parted, right above my shoulders, and a little longer in the front than the back. i have been using SKINN volumizing shampo and conditioner since he came out with it. It works well for me - gives my hair some volume and find it not drying to my hair like some volumizing shampoos I have used.

Also, Paul Mitchell Tea Tree shampoo gives a nice clean head of hair too. My son uses that everyday, and his hair is pretty fine and straight too. Does not weigh down the hair. I use that on occasion too, love the smell of it. Just a little drying for my colored hair though. 

-Texas Hill Country-
Trusted Contributor

I have fine straight hair, but a ton of it. My stylist even uses the texturizing shears on it to thin out some of the thickest parts.

I have had the Lisa Rhinna cut for quite a while now in a copper/gold. Tomorrow I am getting my hair cut into a pixie that I can spike if I want to or soft and sleek if I don't. Or even full on the top. 

I used to have long hair....long. I could sit on it. It was always layered though. But as I got older and busier I found that I was always putting my hair up. So I decided to give that "putting up" more style and went short. 

I go very easy on my hair. I only use J.R. Liggets all natural shampoo bar in my new fave of argan and coconut oil. 

A bit of argan oil after shampooing and that's it. I use my CAJ styler dryer if I want or my Calista. Sometimes I just finger dry it and run a mini straightener on my bangs. I love wash and go. My daughter would always say my hair looked nice and asked if it took long to style it. I always tell her just minutes. Don't think she believes me.

I also wash every other day, not every day.

Valued Contributor

I have thin, straight hair but I have a lot of it.  I used to think my conditioner caused my hair to be flat and unattractive.

My hairdressor told me just the opposite.  She said it wasn't the conditioner but that fact I was doing an inadequate job of rinsing out the shampoo. She gave me this advice:

Rinse your hair more than you think you should. 

Rinse your conditioner less than you think you should.

So, I began rinsing my hair until it "squeaked" and limiting the time of rinsing my conditioner.

It works for me. There is a signficant difference in the appearance of my hair. 

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela