Esteemed Contributor

Anybody with fine, thin, bone-straight hair?

Ok--I do and I have always used many volumizing products and have always used big hot rollers to try to poof it anyway possible. Then, I've use a ton of hair spray. I'm thinking about letting it go relatively straight - without the hot rollers and so much goop. If you also have this type of hair, how do you style it! Also, how do you have it cut? I could really use some advice! 

Valued Contributor

Re: Anybody with fine, thin, bone-straight hair?

It would be interesting to hear some responses. I'm 48 with the same hair and unfortunately I'm in a ponytail rut. I can't even tell you how frustrating it was to try and 'feather' it in the 80's  lol. Impossible with that hair.

Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Ok--I do and I have always used many volumizing products and have always used big hot rollers to try to poof it anyway possible. Then, I've use a ton of hair spray. I'm thinking about letting it go relatively straight - without the hot rollers and so much goop. If you also have this type of hair, how do you style it! Also, how do you have it cut? I could really use some advice! 

Me, me, me to all three.  I spent a ton of money over the years having my hair styled every week.  Now that I am retired and have to watch my budget I decided to have it cut real short and wear it straight.  Believe it or not I get lots of compliments so if I were you I would sit down with a stylist and go over styles that would work for you and give it a try. 

Good luck. 

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@Lindsays Grandma Do you have layers or a straight, short bob? Very curious....

Honored Contributor

My hair is mostly straight with a funky wave to it and it's thin but not fine. It lays flat on my scalp and to make things worse, my scalp is oily so my hair gets super flat on the second and third day after shampooing. My hair is all one length, down to just skimming my shoulder blades in the back. I've spent tons of money on volumizing products only to make me want to shampoo it all out because it's all yucky feeling.Woman Tongue 

One day I decided to try this thing called a Voloom. It's sort of like a crimping iron on steroids where you 'volumize' just the root area after you style your hair the way you usually do it without  any volumizing product in your hair. The result is that the Voloom lifts your hair up off of your scalp but you can't see the 'crimps' because they are placed in the under-layers...sort of like when you back-comb your hair to make it look fuller, only there is no back-combing involved. The Voloom lasts for at least three days for me and sleeping on it doesn't make it go flat either. What I like most about this Voloom is that since it lifts my hair up of of my oily scalp, my hair seems to look like it's not oily or dirty looking after a few days later.  I can't live without this Voloom. It's been a game changer for sure.

There's quite a few reviews for the Voloom on Amazon, averaging 4.2 stars. I own both sizes...petite and full sizes. 

Respected Contributor

Me too..I'm convinced that accutane use in my 30's is to main cause of my thin hair. It was always straight and fine.

Getting an appropriate hair cut is difficult. I must use good styling products and use ample amounts. I have had stylist scold me and say you have too much product on your hair. 

At home I use hot rollers and spray a setting product on the hair while in rollers. Light back combing is a must for me and spray.

When I sit in the chair, I say "I don't mind straight hair but not FLAT hair and the hairdressers will still round brush my hair flat.

I used to get body perms until a hair dresser convinced me to trust her. She would blow out my hair by using the round brush like a brush roller. Keep the roller around the hair and blow dry. Also spray under the section that you are working on.

I wear a long bob with long layers--not texturizing. I had to change hairstylist. I told her I like my hair I just need a trim. When she finished she said " Well the back of your hair was too heavy. 

we'll get you out of that bob soon" Noooo!

Respected Contributor

I have very fine, very straight hair, but the thinning is now getting better, due to my regular use of WEN tea tree treatment oil on my scalp once a week.  WEN cleansing conditioners have also improved the strength of my hair enough that I can heat style if I want, using heat protection from WEN styling creme.  The real increase in the density of hairs on my scalp is totally due to the oil treatment, though, I am sure of that.  Instead of just one hair from a follicle, now I have two or three, and they are strong and healthy, so even though my hair is straight, having more of it makes it look better overall.  Even if I leave it straight, without heat styling, it's silky and shiny and looks good.  I can get a little bit of wave if I use WEN texturizing spray (healthy version of "beachwave" salt sprays), and good wave if I use texturizing spray and "velcro" or Bukli roller/curlers on wet hair and sleep on it overnight to air dry. 

For cut, I've gone from mid-back length blunt cut to chin length bob to pixie cut (layered) back to growing it out to chin length bob (blunt cut), with the eventual goal of shoulder length or longer blunt cut again.  It's really, really hard to style without heat when it's short, so I'm heading back to long hair, eventually.  Hope this info helps!

Esteemed Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

@Lindsays Grandma Do you have layers or a straight, short bob? Very curious....

It is layered, very lightly so that my sclap doesn't show. Woman LOL

The moving finger writes; And having writ, Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line Nor all your Tears Wash out a Word of it. Omar Khayam
Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee Thanks for telling me about Voloom. I just now ordered one on Amazon. As I recall, you also told me about  maybelline age rewind concealer and, as I told you, I bought that on your recommendation and I love it! You are becoming my "beauty coach!!"....and, I really need one. Haha! Feel free to offer any other recommendations; you have great credibility with me! Cheers. 

Honored Contributor

My hair is straight and fine.  I wash it every day  and blow dry it because it is oily and use nothing else on it, except shampoo... no conditioner, or styling products, and no hair color.

i go back and forth between two hair styles,,  the style Suze Orman wears and the other one below.

Both are easy to style and look great all day with no work or product needed.

IMG_0295.JPGIMG_0135.JPG