Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody's face sting this time of year?

It stings because it's dry. I have in my house a couple of humidifiers. As soon as the weather gets cold and the furnace comes on, then I bring out those humidifiers. I think it helps a lot to keep my skin from drying out. When skin dries out there are tiny cracks on the surface where the lipid layer has been compromised and that allows products to sting.

Respected Contributor

Cold, dry air, wicks away moisture from the skin resulting in excessive dryness and damage to the skin's integrity.  Even microscopic little tears, or cracks in the skin may cause your topicals to burn when they may haven't in the past.

We need to use comforting cleansers.  Moisturizers for sensitive skin may be helpful. Also, some I know swear by sleeping with a humidifier, although I haven't tried this.

It's a problem!  My skin (not only my face) can feel like old dried out bones found in the desert.  I'm finding that it looks and feels best, if I gently cleanse and generously slather on a Hylaronic Acid product.  I like Cetaphil lotion,  for extra dry skin,  for this time of year. It's so inexpensive, but my go-to right now.

I also rely on my Heritage Store, Rosewater and Glycerin body/face spray.  I occasionally spray my face during the day, if it starts feeling tight. Love this stuff.  Have been using it since finding it at a B&B I stayed at a decade ago.  A light smell of roses that feels refreshing and moisturizing.   

Trusted Contributor

I do use a humidifer when I sleep and I use a rose water, cucumber spray  a bunch of times per day.  I'm going to back off using the clarisonic to only a couple times a week instead of every night and see how my skin does with that.  I think it's just the weather.  We had an extremely cold October here and it's been cold lately.  It's not usually that cold here until December.  Thanks for all your suggestions!  

Esteemed Contributor

I'd check the ingredients in the skin care . Alot of antiaging products have various ingredients that may  irritate your skin in the winter when the skin is dry  or the nerve endings  are more sensitive because of the cold weather.

Honored Contributor

I have two face cleansers  i am liking ,that does not sting,LA ROCHE POSEY TOLERIANE, and LE MIEUX PHYTO MARINE , i am loving the last one.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Esteemed Contributor

The cold, bitter winds haven't really started here yet - but when they do, I'm ready!  Even tho I have oily skin, my complexion dries out and my cheeks get chapped in winter.  I always switch my cleanser to Pond's Cold Cream.  I sometimes use a thin layer of Pond's as my nighttime moisturizer.   Plus, we always have a humidifier running in the bedroom and bowls of water sitting on the furnace vents.   Just me, but I wouldn't exfoliate or use a brush to cleanse my face.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

A big thank you for all of the tips.  I have never had this issue before.  Well, I'm still doing yardwork, blowing the last of the leaves, and some raking, etc.  It's been in the upper 30's ~ low 40's and windy.  My face is burning no matter what I put on it!  I think I need to Vaseline up before I chase that last leaf.  OUCH!Smiley Sad

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey