Honored Contributor

Re: Anybody finding out they really have curly hair after all?

Ironically my mom has curly hair and mine is wavy but was always treated as straight growing up. I did use to use products and styling methods to try and get it flatter and straighter. I’m really happy since I switched to curly girl method. I’ve used Wen for about 6 years now, and use the styling crepe, mousse and texturizing spray for styling. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I used to get perms for YEARS thinking I needed them to get curls.  One day, back in 1995, as I was getting ready to move from ABQ back to TX, I made my last hair appt. with my ABQ hairdresser to get a perm. He finally said, “girl, your natural hair has enough curl. You don’t need a perm.” Then he introduced me to a diffuser. I was stunned by how much natural curl I had with just a little encouragement from a diffuser.  Who knew? Ever since that glorious day, I’ve never had a perm again. He was also the same hairdresser who told me (at the time I had been a platinum blonde for about 10 years) that I’d make a great red-head. Who knew? The rest is history.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Contributor

many years ago I got turned on to Aveda's "Be Curly". I swear by it, especially if you live in a humid climate. I lived in Louisiana for many years, which certainly qualifies! BTW, I put it in from the middle to ends of my hair and let it air dry. HTH.

Regular Contributor

My straight hair turned curly (not too much) after I wen through the change ! I wear it short and all I have to do is fluff it with my hands, sometimes I use a bit of product, my favorite Nick Chavez thickening lotion, only thing is when we have a lot of humidity it gets very, very curly. But I like the change in it, easier to care for !  Felinemom

@Thebig I wrote:

I have wavey hair, wish I would find out it was even more curly than I thought. Has anybody else had this I am a curly girl awakening? What are you doing to get curls?

Honored Contributor

My hair has a wave to it when it is short but if I let it grow to just below the ears, it completely straight.  I keep it short and dry my hair with a brush to keep straight.

kindness is strength
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I have always had curly hair but menopause made it really curly.  It seemed like I woke up one morning with someone else's hair.  Can't fight those hormones; just grateful to have hair.