Super Contributor

Anybody finding out they really have curly hair after all?

I have wavey hair, wish I would find out it was even more curly than I thought. Has anybody else had this I am a curly girl awakening? What are you doing to get curls?

Super Contributor

Re: Anybody finding out they really have curly hair after all?

[ Edited ]

I have had long straight hair all my life. Now 70 I finally cut it way back and stopped coloring my hair blonde to find waves in my hair just like my mom.

Must say I dont mind it at all!

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I've also had perfectly straight hair all my life.... until the last few years.  As I've gotten older, my hair has developed some nice waves and has actual curl (I'm shocked!) around the edges.  I don't know if it's my age or the fact that I'm wearing my hair really short.  Whatever it is, I love it!

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Trusted Contributor

It's so funny you posted this now.  I've always had straight hair with a few small waves here and there.  On Sunday I let my hair air dry which is something I never do.   Both my and my husband couldn't believe how much curl/wave I had once it was totally dry.  I didn't realize that this happens, but I'm going to try to see if I can work some new styles into my rotation (my hair is a little past shoulder length).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have an amazing stylist who does a “curly cut” that’s perfect for my baby fine curls.

At her request, I use the N- treatment #3 (can’t think of the product name) whenever I have time, and when I don’t, I use Ghirmack SILVER, and after rinsing well and towel drying, I rub about 7 drops of Argan oil into both my hands and wiggle my hands all over my head, then shape my curls into place. 

I love my curls!

Honored Contributor

@Thebig I wrote:

I have wavey hair, wish I would find out it was even more curly than I thought. Has anybody else had this I am a curly girl awakening? What are you doing to get curls?

@Thebig I  Good Morning. My hair’s always been natural curly, but maybe I can help you. If you look up Curly Girl Method, you’ll find products/explanation about coaxing your curls. You should stop using products with sulfates or silicones. Have your hair cut in long layers, if wear it long, or shorter layers if short. Use a microfiber towel and satin pillowcase to preserve your waves/curls.

My hair is very wavy w/ loose curls, but by adding a mousse or gel, scrunching it in my hands and air drying and/or using a diffuser on my dryer, I have curly hair. 

If interested, Lorraine Massey wrote the book The Curly Girl Method. I read it years ago and follow the list of approved products to maintain the curl. It’s recommended to use the “no poo” method of only washing w/ conditioner, no shampoo, and only 1 or 2 times a week. I tried that for a weeks at the beginning of my curly journey, but scalp felt itchy and 2nd or 3rd day hair w/o washing or wetting it all down & restyling was too much work. 

For the last several years, I’ve alternated between Shea Hair Products (drugstore)....meant for curly hair. There are several lines at ULTA or Sephora, but expensive and not much different, IMO. The most important thing to do to achieve healthy hair and encourage curls is to deep condition at least twice a week....I sleep w/ conditioner on once a week. It keeps the waves/curls hydrated which keeps the frizz at bay. 

John Frieda’s Frizz line has silicones which is a “curly hair no no”. They coat the hair shift so it can’t accept hydration and moisture. To really go curly, you should also give up straightening it w/ hot tools and totally committ to wearing it curly. If you flat iron or use round brush to pull it straighter, the curls can’t find their individual pattern. 

Massey’s book a great read and has the most info about  typing your curls by #,  wavy to very tight coils. Then she talks about what process/cuts/products for each type. She started the Devacurl line in ULTA or other high end stores. I found them no different than drugstore products and $$$. They were also highly scented. 

Good luck w/ your new curls. It’s so easy to go w/ your natural hair’s texture instead of fighting against it. I wear my hair very short in a pixie style. It’s only about 1 1/2” layers...too short to form curls, but it’s wavy. As soon as I’m ready for a cut...every 4-5 weeks, It’s curly all over. 

Honored Contributor

My hair has always been thick and sometimes wavy.  But now that I'm older, it's even wavier.  The person who has been cutting it refers to it as "curly" and cuts it to enhance the curl.

Curly?  After she cuts it, it does seem to have more curl.  Weird.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

My hair was wavy / straight growing up.....

when I cut off all my colored hair from years of coloring at age 58... and grew it out the natural silver it is now, I   found that I have a lot of curl when it is wet... and dried naturally.... if I brush it out the curls go away. 

I  think my hair has become more curly  as I have gotten older. My oldest sister who is  72 has naturally curly hai( from my father's side of the family)  she use to iron it  with a iron on the ironing board before school every day to straighten it back in the early 1960's... so I guess genetically I have some curl genes somewhere? 

Honored Contributor

My hair as always been natural curly hair.  I remember once going to a new stylist and just after washing it she said I see you have just had a permanent.  Shocked beyond words that was my own curl.  When I go into the salon every couple of months I love being treated to a "blow dry stick straight" look.  Cannot do that myself.  But I did have it easy back in the 80's with the look.....

Image result for kink hair look of the 80's

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

I’ve had wave in my hair my whole life but thought it was more straight than wavy. After reading up on the curly girl method and watching some videos, decided to try it. My hair is now on the verge of being curly rather than wavy. Healthier than it has ever been. Think the silicones weighed down the potential of my curl pattern. Giving up silicones and adding protein plus moisture has changed my hair. Get twice the comments on my now very wavy hair than when I would straighten it.