Reply
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,458
Registered: ‎06-08-2012

Re: Anybody else get buildup on her scalp?


@Arlosmom wrote:

I get the builup on my scalp also. I use different conditioners besides SAM. I tend not to use a lot, since I have very short hair. I have been using WEN for less than a year. I like the results, but am concerned about the residue.


you know you don't need to resurrect a thread about Wen and scalp build up, from 2011, when there's always a thread about the subject matter that coincides with a visit from Chaz and team Wen. The lastest thread on build up was in September of this year.

About the residue, if your scalp is oily, it could be sebum build up. Oilier scalps are more likely to have build up, dandruff, hair loss, and other scalp issues compared to drier scalps. 

☀️...And I think to myself what a Wenderful world.☀️
Honored Contributor
Posts: 40,233
Registered: ‎08-23-2010

Re: Anybody else get buildup on her scalp?

Well, if you're getting a "buildup", it's pretty obvious that you aren't rinsing properly.

 

Don't like SAM, but I have about 8 different types of Wen in my shower and never have this problem.   

 

(Don't know if this makes any difference, but I dilute my Wen with water by about 50% so it works into my hair rather quickly and rinses out really fast.    Just my preference.)

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,043
Registered: ‎04-30-2012

Re: Anybody else get buildup on her scalp?

[ Edited ]

Since many say they do not have build up  I suspect you are not rinsing your hair enough. I would use a clarifying shampoo once  and massage your scalp with it then use wen as a conditioner then go back to your normal routene. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 6,730
Registered: ‎12-29-2014

Re: Anybody else get buildup on her scalp?


@Arlosmom wrote:

I get the builup on my scalp also. I use different conditioners besides SAM. I tend not to use a lot, since I have very short hair. I have been using WEN for less than a year. I like the results, but am concerned about the residue.


 

So you've decided to post on the thread from 03-31-2011 TODAY? Why?

Honored Contributor
Posts: 10,862
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Anybody else get buildup on her scalp?

I always wash my hair in the kitchen sink.  I have to be careful to rinse well, especially around the front hair line.  I have also heard some WEN users use a strong cheap shampoo every couple months to completely get rid of any build up from conditioners, shampoos, etc.  Otherwise, if I rinse well I have never had a build up.

 

.

Regular Contributor
Posts: 180
Registered: ‎09-14-2011

Re: Anybody else get buildup on her scalp?


@Arlosmom wrote:

I get the builup on my scalp also. I use different conditioners besides SAM. I tend not to use a lot, since I have very short hair. I have been using WEN for less than a year. I like the results, but am concerned about the residue.


You just registered and you went and dug up a thread  from 2011? Very strange! LOL

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,938
Registered: ‎12-29-2010

Re: Anybody else get buildup on her scalp?


@busymomkt wrote:

I love WEN. I use SAM religiously, but I do notice that I get a waxy buildup on my scalp that I can scratch off with my nails. (gross, I know). WEN is great for my hair and it is so healthy, but what about this buildup? Anyone else experience this? I do use A LOT when I am cleansing and really massage my scalp good. I also rinse for a few minutes. Should I try tea tree?


That's why my derm told me that I shouldn't use it.  I have eczema and went into her for some help, and she scratched the film off of my scalp and told me..."no more".  It was putting a film on my scalp.  I'm one of the few who can't use it due to dermatitis and skin issues.  There was a thick build up unfortunately. 

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,141
Registered: ‎03-27-2010

Re: Anybody else get buildup on her scalp?


@winamac1 wrote:

@busymomkt wrote:

I love WEN. I use SAM religiously, but I do notice that I get a waxy buildup on my scalp that I can scratch off with my nails. (gross, I know). WEN is great for my hair and it is so healthy, but what about this buildup? Anyone else experience this? I do use A LOT when I am cleansing and really massage my scalp good. I also rinse for a few minutes. Should I try tea tree?


That's why my derm told me that I shouldn't use it.  I have eczema and went into her for some help, and she scratched the film off of my scalp and told me..."no more".  It was putting a film on my scalp.  I'm one of the few who can't use it due to dermatitis and skin issues.  There was a thick build up unfortunately. 


@winamac1, did your derm tell you anything to use to get rid of the buildup but was gentle on hair? I'm looking for something to get rid of buildup on both hair and scalp but that doesn't strip color so would appreciate any recommendations your derm may have given you. TIA

QVC lost a lot of my posts too!
Trusted Contributor
Posts: 1,453
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Anybody else get buildup on her scalp?

If you are using the Wen, STOP!  Some people are more inclined to scalp build up than others.  I gave the Wen more than a fair try and I got so much scalp build up that I eventually got an almost acne like condition on the front of my scalp.

 

I found a shampoo by naturalhaircare.com That is called SCALP SHAMPOO.  It is all natural and has a pretty strong "herbally" smell.  Don't worry that smell will wash out.  It is paraben-free, sulfate free and safe for color treated hair.  I started using it and within 3 weeks the build up was gone, my scalp felt clean and my hair was in better shape than it has ever been.  They also have conditioners, but they aren't necessary for the shampoo to work.  I got scalp build up occasionally before Wen, when I would use too many styling products.  After I started using the Wen, the build-up worsened and didn't go away.  

Honored Contributor
Posts: 16,938
Registered: ‎12-29-2010

Re: Anybody else get buildup on her scalp?

[ Edited ]

@UMDTerpFan wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

@busymomkt wrote:

I love WEN. I use SAM religiously, but I do notice that I get a waxy buildup on my scalp that I can scratch off with my nails. (gross, I know). WEN is great for my hair and it is so healthy, but what about this buildup? Anyone else experience this? I do use A LOT when I am cleansing and really massage my scalp good. I also rinse for a few minutes. Should I try tea tree?


That's why my derm told me that I shouldn't use it.  I have eczema and went into her for some help, and she scratched the film off of my scalp and told me..."no more".  It was putting a film on my scalp.  I'm one of the few who can't use it due to dermatitis and skin issues.  There was a thick build up unfortunately. 


@winamac1, did your derm tell you anything to use to get rid of the buildup but was gentle on hair? I'm looking for something to get rid of buildup on both hair and scalp but that doesn't strip color so would appreciate any recommendations your derm may have given you. TIA


 

Hi.  Yes, she told me to use Neutrogena shampoo with salicylic acid in it to remove the build up.  I hope that helps.

 

I have color-treated hair too.  It comes in a failry small bottle--maybe 4 or 5 ounces, and I got it at Walmart.  

 

Here's what I used:

 

https://jet.com/product/detail/f22f81fe38ba409cb9c69edcf9e0fee9?jcmp=pla:ggl:brands_jd_health_beauty...Smiley Tongue

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"