Occasional Contributor

Anybody else get buildup on her scalp?

I love WEN. I use SAM religiously, but I do notice that I get a waxy buildup on my scalp that I can scratch off with my nails. (gross, I know). WEN is great for my hair and it is so healthy, but what about this buildup? Anyone else experience this? I do use A LOT when I am cleansing and really massage my scalp good. I also rinse for a few minutes. Should I try tea tree?

Re: Anybody else get buildup on her scalp?

I get the builup on my scalp also. I use different conditioners besides SAM. I tend not to use a lot, since I have very short hair. I have been using WEN for less than a year. I like the results, but am concerned about the residue.

Honored Contributor

No I've never gotten that and I've been using Wen for more than 3 years. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

Yes, I get it. I use Aveda Invati (an exfoliating shampoo) every few shampoos. Or my new found love, Theorie shamp/cond.
Trusted Contributor

No. I'm a long time Wen user and I've never experienced any buildup. I don't use any other products except occasionally Nick Chavez hairspray and soft flocker.
KJPA
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Had a hairdresser give me a great tip for my oily scalp. She said to 'warm' up the scalp with a hairdryer before you wash it. So when I have extra gunk on my scalp use hairdryer on dry scalp then use clarifying shampoo afterwards. Only do it as needed but it works. It lifts those flakes off before you shampoo and helps loosens the gunk.

Esteemed Contributor

No, I am using WEN exclusively and no shampoo for over a year, only WEN, and my scalp is the cleanest it had ever been. I use most of WEN formulas, but not SAM though.

I used to have some residue under my nails when I used shampoos in the past.

Respected Contributor

Yes. I've been using WEN exclusively for close to 5 years. My scalp itches, mostly on top and in the night. There is always white "stuff" under my finger nails. POM makes my hair greasy, so I don't use it. Have a large supply of seasonals and oils and mousse, etc.

snappy Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

You aren't rinsing well enough.  Take a cheap clarifying shampoo and wash, rinse and repeat, and then condition with WEN and make sure you rinse well, very well!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am a 3-year exclusive WEN girl and have never experienced build-up, ever.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.