Valued Contributor

Re: Any recommendations for a safe sunscreen?

I use SkinCueticals physical fusion uv 50 , broad spectrum , mineral filtered.

It's tinted so sometimes I wear it as is but most of the time I mix it with my foundation.   It gives very light coverage and is the consistency of a serum.  I really like it. 

Respected Contributor

@Dazlin  Hello,  I believe I remember you from another thread with the flaking pills of foundation over top spf (mineral).  That thread got me looking more closely at my own situation which seemed similar to yours.  I do have rosacea so spf is a must and I can't use mineral ones (at least I have never found one I could tolerate on my face) so I have been using LaRoche Posay Serum SPF50 in the pump bottle.  I was still having issues like you had described but then I started using a damp sponge to apply my foundation over top and no more issues.  I do wait 20 to 25mins for the spf to set up and use nothing else just that as it contains all that I need and less is best for my reactive skin.

Have you tried a damp sponge to apply your foundation over top?  I just wanted to toss out this idea to you in case if might help is all.Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@tsavorite 

Using chemical sunscreens with AVO comes with limitations when used with certain other ingredients and those would be oxides usually used in foundations as color pigments. What happens when you combine oxides with AVO is you disable the SPF of the AVO rendering it useless. So it would  be wise to use a primer on top of the AVO before applying foundation. AVO, and most other chemical sunscreens, should be applied first before moisturizers or serums (except for vitamin C Serum can go on first).

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee I do remember this....I use several different foundations and the Estee Lauder one doesn't have any spf (mineral or chemical) at all so it does well.  I have never found a primer to work well....I do have a IT one that I will test out again with the sponge foundation application.  For some reason a brush just made everything and anything I did flake up.

Plus I do get "peeling" days from Retin A use too....so I do have some issues going on LOL!

Respected Contributor

@tsavorite ...yes, I have a beauty blender, used damp.

I dont wait 25 minutes after applying sunscreen.  Maybe that's the problem.   Thanks!!

Honored Contributor

Many people don't like chemical sunscreens because they do absorb into the skin and that's the way they were formulated to be effective. When a chemical ss is absorbed into the skin it binds with skin proteins there and that makes them stable enough to withstand and protect you from the sun's damaging rays. If you don't wait at least 15 minutes to allow for absorption then the chemicals will get destroyed the minute you step out under the sun thereby making it less effective than what it was intended to do at the given SPF stated on the bottle. 

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Many people don't like chemical sunscreens because they do absorb into the skin and that's the way they were formulated to be effective. When a chemical ss is absorbed into the skin it binds with skin proteins there and that makes them stable enough to withstand and protect you from the sun's damaging rays. If you don't wait at least 15 minutes to allow for absorption then the chemicals will get destroyed the minute you step out under the sun thereby making it less effective than what it was intended to do at the given SPF stated on the bottle. 

@SilleeMee ...appreciate your info!!  I never would have known.   Thank you!!!   I do read the bottles say apply at least 30 minutes before going outside,  but I never obeyed.  Really appreciate you taking time here to offer your knowledge. 

Super Contributor

@lkat  said, "If you're interested in a tinted sunscreen for your face, I love the MyChelle Tinted Sun Shield Liquid SPF 50."

Thanks for the info. Where do you purchase this brand? I'm currently using the Tatcha sunscreen that was a BOGO a while back on the Q. I really like it and have it on auto-delivery. I haven't had good luck with Tatcha AD's so I may be looking for an alternative.

Contributor

I like Australian Gold. Pretty big tube of tinted mineral sunscreen for ~$15. Also like the Mychelle liquid.
Contributor

I find the MyChelle at Sprouts, if you have one of those.