Respected Contributor

Any platinum blondes out there turning yellow??

My hair is Beige/platinum. So it's not white or silver looking...just a soft, very light blonde. NO YELLOW until...a few weeks after it's colored. Then it starts taking on a yellowish cast. I'm naturally very light, so it's NOT, going over a brown, or being bleached and then fading. I just use a beige blonde in the lightest shade so it won't look silver. But it keeps turning a bit yellow after about 2-3 weeks. I already tried products to remove water minerals, and sometimes use Shimmer lights shampoo. I just want to know if anyone has a solution to prevent this from happening. Would rinsing with distilled water help??

Super Contributor

Re: Any platinum blondes out there turning yellow??

Do you spend a lot of time in the sun? Do you use styling tools like a flat iron? Both of these are notorious for turning light hair (especially grey or white) yellow over time. There are products which can help protect from this happening - I hear.

Respected Contributor

On 2/25/2015 Crisso said:

Do you spend a lot of time in the sun? Do you use styling tools like a flat iron? Both of these are notorious for turning light hair (especially grey or white) yellow over time. There are products which can help protect from this happening - I hear.

Good questions...I only use a blower (on high), and I live in Florida. If I'm at the beach, I wear a hat that covers all my hair. Other wise I'm mostly going from car to stores, etc., but no hat.

Respected Contributor

are you blonde coloring over blonde or gray? any color with peroxide will oxidize. blondes take on a yellowish or green caste

Respected Contributor

On 2/25/2015 ashleigh dupray said:

are you blonde coloring over blonde or gray? any color with peroxide will oxidize. blondes take on a yellowish or green caste

Yes, I'm naturally very, very light (whitish). What is there to prevent oxidizing?

Honored Contributor

There is product that can be added to the hair color to remove the yellow oxidation. Your hair dresser would know, or one of the blondes on this forum.

I have a friend who is a blonde, and she uses Alterna for Blondes shampoo, I think it is called Blonde (who'd a thunk it,lol). Pureology makes a great blonde product for shampoo, conditioner, and a rinse.

Also, a cheap quick fix is Fanciful rinse in White Minx. My cousin uses this on her natural platinum. When you use Fanciful don't get it on the scalp/ You wash hair, towel dry, then take the rinse and blot it through hair. Then comb, then dry, set or whatever.

Frequent Contributor

On 2/25/2015 Dazlin said:

My hair is Beige/platinum. So it's not white or silver looking...just a soft, very light blonde. NO YELLOW until...a few weeks after it's colored. Then it starts taking on a yellowish cast. I'm naturally very light, so it's NOT, going over a brown, or being bleached and then fading. I just use a beige blonde in the lightest shade so it won't look silver. But it keeps turning a bit yellow after about 2-3 weeks. I already tried products to remove water minerals, and sometimes use Shimmer lights shampoo. I just want to know if anyone has a solution to prevent this from happening. Would rinsing with distilled water help??

1) do you keep dying over your entire hair every time? don't do that. are you only dying the roots? or are you doing the roots first and then only pulling thru the last for the last 5min of processing? these are the better choices, you don't want to be putting color over color over color because this will make your hair color darker.

2) you need to be consistent with the purple shampoo. if your hair is seriously platinum you might want to leave it in every wash for at least 5min. otherwise use it every week and let it sit 30min before rinsing.

Super Contributor

A friend of mine uses a Prepology product.

Honored Contributor

Try Shikai Platinum shampoo which removes yellow casts. I use it on my salt & pepper hair. Love it. It has Blue Malva in it and it's a creamy, conditioning lavender color. I bought it at iherb.com but Google it to see who else may sell it.

kindness is strength
Super Contributor

There are several products that I've used:

Jhirmak silver products

Clairol Shimmer Lights

Even Selsen Blue dandruff shampoo will tone down brassiness.