Respected Contributor

Re: Any past make-up or skincare loves that you no longer like?

I used to use Shiseido Foundation stick, Estee Lauder Powder, and Clinique Lipticks.  I still like those products and would use them again in a heart beat, but now I am switching to drugstore products to save money.

Honored Contributor

Philosophy Purity was my go to cleanser for years, and then it changed.  Took forever to find a replacement.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

I don't like scented skincare or color cosmetic products. My nose has become sensitive to annoying scents. I cannot stand the scent of garlic on people for example.

So I have changed all of my skincare products to unscented ones and tossed the rest. I bought an unscented hand cream and a vanilla scented hand cream from the Bath and Body Works store when I was in Las Vegas and just gave the scented one away.

I also used to have oily skin but it has normalized after menopause and it can be dry in winter so I also had to start using moisturizers on my face.

As to lipsticks, matte ones of all kinds don't work on me. I just did a lipstick purge.

Respected Contributor

I am not loyal to any brand or product and always searching.  Seems my skin has changed so much with getting older that nothing seems to work great.  No matter what I use under or over foundation or what type I use, my wrinkles have makeup puddled in them.  

Esteemed Contributor

I'm loyal to several products and there are some I have used for 25+ years.  Usually if I quit using a certain cosmetic it's because it was discontinued, not because I don't like it.     

Not really makeup or skin care, but I loved Oscar de la Renta's original fragrance for at least 20 years.  Probably longer.  It was my signature, and only, scent.  Then one day I just didn't like it any more -- the scent didn't smell the same on me.  I don't know if my body chemistry changed or what.  

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

I've used many different high-end brands, wasn't loyal to just one.  Rarely did I try/buy something that I wasn't happy with.  The coverage and colors and last-ablility was great.

But the ingredients.  I always wondered about the ingredients.  First with the skincare, then with the makeup itself.

So I started buying one particular brand that was organic and just hoped I would like it.  I flipping love it.  

Threw everything else away.  It was so easy to do!  When I get a *freebie* from somewhere, I toss it.  

So I have no use for any skin care or makeup from the past.  Even thought I was completely happy with it.

I've been using this new makeup (and skincare and haircare) for about 9 or 10 years.  

I threw caution to the wind, and it was a breeze!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

HAIRSPRAY!( I know, not makeup or skincare....)

I probably have 20 cans of hairspray in my bathroom closet.  5 years ago when I was working I used a lot of hairspray...I loved it! Could not live without it!  Now, not working I never use it....actually do not like  it in my hair anymore.  

I look-at the cans in the closet everyday....@nd just can not part with them yet....

One can started leaking so that one was easy to toss😄

The  other cans still  catch my attention....calling  out to me... and I resist ......slowly closing the closet door ....knowing that they are THERE.

TO BE CONTINUED.......

@SeaMaiden, hairspray is probably the hardest thing for me to find for my hair.  I have fine, poker straight hair and so many hairsprays are either too sticky for my hair or do nothing.  I too have a closet full of cans but not because I don't use it, because I keep buying different ones to try and they disappoint.  And like you, I just can't toss them because I think of all the money wasted.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@GSPgirl wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I was going through my make-up the other night and realized that I have items in my make-up bag that I use to absolutely love and wouldn't be without and now I don't use anymore because I don't like them.

The biggest one for me is MAC "O" lipstick.  That was my absolutely favorite lipstick.  I remember posting on this board that I could throw all my other lipsticks away and use just "O", I liked it that much.  Luckily, I didn't do that.

I'm not sure what has happened or changed except that I've gotten older and now the color doesn't appeal to me anymore on it's own.  It just seems too dark and harsh for me.  My new loves are Laura Geller Tropics and Nars Dolce Vita.

I also use to really like purple liners and shadows on my green eyes.  Now, I will do a deep plum, aubergine or raisin but some of the purples I used to enjoy look clown like to me.  I think that has everything to do with my age. 

I loved the “0” lipstick when I was in my 30’a and 40’s.  Now I can’t wear it either.  

@GSPgirl  I like that NARS gloss over liner or other lip colors.

Honored Contributor

I recently tossed a large trash bag of hair gels, mousse, sprays and s&c that I thought were my holy grails. They took up 2 shelves!! If I found 1 I loved, I’d purchased another in case it was discontinued. They multiplied like guppie fish. Now my shelf is freed up and only has my current products. 

Respected Contributor

Not a particular brand, but up until this year, I loved having lots of different colored eyeshadows...and I wanted a mix of lightly shimmery, satin and matte finishes. Then I found a Tart palette that is just mattes, and I fell in love! It has 12 colors...there is one black (great eyeliner), a pink, a mauve, a mulberry and a plum (also a great eyeliner). The other 7 colors are ivory/creams, and varying shades of brown. After using this palette, I threw all my other shadows away! It was old anyway, and needed tossing. 

I would buy this palette again in a heartbeat!