Honored Contributor

Re: Any of you given up on foundation and just use concealer on the problem areas?

I would suggest trying Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation. I'm 58 years old, and that's what I use. I don't have dark spots like you do but do have mild rosacea. This is a buildable foundation that covers but does not look heavy or aging at all. It's worth a try. You can always return it to the dept. store if you don't like it.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

Re: Any of you given up on foundation and just use concealer on the problem areas?

Yes, I often just wear concealer because my sensitive skin doesn't tolerate foundation well. I have rosacea and sun damage/spots, so have a lot to cover, but concealer alone can cover it. My skin is actually clearer and healthier if I don't wear foundation. If my skin is particularly oily, I'll put a light dusting of mineral powder in my t-zone over the concealer.

I started doing this over a decade ago after seeing Morgan Schick on HSN. She was a former model with a cosmetics line on HSN and advocated using only concealer. She had a compact with different concealer shades that you could blend together.

Like you, I've had zero success with fading products. My sensitive skin can't tolerate hydroquinone, vitamin c, AHAs, or kojic acid. Brightening products tend to either irritate my skin, or if I can tolerate them then they aren't effective.

Respected Contributor

For the last two weeks I have been using Josie's TSV tinted spf and her stick concealer for any spots I want to cover. It is working really well for me.

Honored Contributor

I just turned 60 and haven't worn foundation or other base in many many years. I don't like how it feels on my face. And I have a very oily t-zone so it only aggravates that. I'm much happier with less make-up.

I use very little make-up. I do my eyebrows, gently line my eyes and add a little blush. In the winter, I have some rosacea on my cheeks and I put on a little Clinique anti-redness powder. That's it.

Honored Contributor

I'm 54, I gave up foundation when I hit 50. I used tinted moisturizer for a while but now I use a BB creme. It's Avon but other brands would work just as well. It has the coverage I need without the heavy makeup look that tends to age us. I have also used IT Bye Bye under eye concealer for my makeup. Just a tiny speck applied with a makeup sponge gives me a flawless look. The CC creme makeup products are another option.
Respected Contributor

I love Laura Gellers real deal concealer, I mix the light and medium together, and then us JM new SPF I got in her kit, maybe a little bronzer or blush on top....Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

Years ago, when the other channel sold Morgen Schick makeup, I used her concealer palette only and it worked well. Laura Mercier has a similar palette, where you can self-mix the colors.

Honored Contributor

I've never really used foundation as I don't like a lot of stuff on my face. However, I've finally gotten to an age where I need a little more help. After using Garnier BB cream for the past year, I just bought the IT Cosmetics CC cream and it is the best all over concealer/light foundation I've used yet. It erased a spot on my face in the aisle of Ulta with one swipe and I just about gasped. I've been using it and the under eye concealer for the past week and I have to say I've not looked this good and put together in a long time. After seeing her on QVC for the past few months, I tried it and I do like this brand so far.

Honored Contributor

You need to try Laura Mercier's new foundation. It's like a second skin and I am not exaggerating. It is a light/med. coverage. In answer to your question, sometimes I use only concealer but top with a finishing powder.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

I've only ever used foundation as a base to hold my blush on! But, i don't like a lot of product. I purchased an It Bye Bye Undereye a couple of months back, and most days just use that. I use it under my eyes to erase dark circles, and spread around my cheeks as well…. kind of like the triangle of light idea. Sometimes use it on my nose as well. A TINY amount is all it takes. I pat it on to spread it out. You might want to try it.