Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any of you given up on foundation and just use concealer on the problem areas?

At 69 I gave up foundation many years ago. I felt it was aging and I did not care for the "feel" on my face. I use concealer on a few stubborn areas, yellow around the eyes, and then a light finishing powder. Followed by my usual makeup routine.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Valued Contributor

Re: Any of you given up on foundation and just use concealer on the problem areas?

I just had my 57th birthday and I use nothing except Clinique Almost Powder Makeup. I admit I have "good skin" and don't have many wrinkles (thans Mom) but it is fabulous for evening out the skin tone and covering little imperfections. You can build the coverage and it still doesn't look cakey. It is so easy. I refuse to use anything that isn't easy these days! It takes me about five minutes to do my face. And I do use eye shadow, mascara, blush and lipstick. Love Clinique's Chubby Sticks, too!

Editing my post to say that I have used the original Oil of Olay for years. I use it before the powder foundation. I give it a moment to absorb and it seems to add just the right conditioning so the foundation adheres. I love it. I use OOO night cream, too.

Super Contributor

I'm 72 ... still use liquid foundation. I don't think it's aging ... I've used a liquid foundation for years

I'm not spotty or wrinkled ... yet. Since I graduated from high school (we weren't allowed to wear makeup there) ... I've never gone outside w/o foundation.

Just thinking back ... my mother, grandmother, aunts ... none of them got spotty or wrinkled. It's probably just good genes.

Valued Contributor

When I'm feeling good about my skin, yes, I do this. But my dark circles seem to have gotten worse over the past few years, so to feel really good about myself, I have to cover them.

Valued Contributor

I have very fair skin with a few hyperpigmentation spots that I am using various recommended things to try and lighten. I have almost no wrinkles except for a few small ones at the corners of my eyes. I just turned 63 and I can go without make-up if I want to but always need a little blush and lipstick or I look ghostly. I have different sheer lightweight liquid foundations/bb/cc creams that I play with when I'm in the mood but nothing heavy or drying. The only thing close to a powder I ever use is IT Celebration Illumination Foundation because it gives me a glow. Anything matte ages me. I like to look natural and have a healthy bit of glow because I think that looks youthful.

Super Contributor

On 8/29/2014 Kathleen said:

I'm 72 ... still use liquid foundation. I don't think it's aging ... I've used a liquid foundation for years

I'm not spotty or wrinkled ... yet. Since I graduated from high school (we weren't allowed to wear makeup there) ... I've never gone outside w/o foundation.

Just thinking back ... my mother, grandmother, aunts ... none of them got spotty or wrinkled. It's probably just good genes.

My girlfriend is 61 and she always used foundation, since HS. She has no wrinkles or spots and was always a sun lover. She thinks the foundation helped to protect her skin all these years and I'm inclined to believe.

I am so spotty, I could never just use concealer. I use Missha BB cream and it covers most. On the very few remaining I just dab a little more BB cream and that pretty much takes care of it. I like that it covers and protects from the sun.

Super Contributor

I'm about the OP's age and I too have given up foundation. Now I apply moisturizer, a good gel primer and then use a combo of a stick concealer and a BB cream on any problem area. I've never looked as good and get lots of compliments too. I realize now that my skin is in pretty good shape for my age and I was covering it for no good reason!

Respected Contributor

I'm 59, and have been using CC Cream (Mary Kay and Revlon Age-Defying) mixed with Laura Geller's Neutralizing Primer as my foundation. Love the look, evens my skin-tone a lot. I never use a "defined" concealer...gave up on them long ago. Even though I don't have major issues, they never seemed to cover anything---and I tried many. Plus they never looked natural to me. But, like a previous poster, I could never just cover certain places, I need something over my whole face.

I only have age spots on the top of my cheekbones. What I do for those is brush on a little of Laura Geller's French Vanilla Highlighter. It doesn't completely cover them, but it does minimize them quite a bit.

Valued Contributor

My skins never been able to handle a foundation (most clog my pores and break me out or end up slipping off of my face due to overproduction of oil). i can use tarte's foundcealer every now and then but i don't prefer it. daily i use tarte's BB cream first, followed by tarte's cc undereye corrector (that i use on other spots on my face), then finished with tarte's clay airbrush foundation (the powder). altogether the 3 products give me great coverage that doesn't break me out or feel like a pound of makeup is on my face!{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Super Contributor

On 8/28/2014 BellaCarro said: There has been a lot of mention of Korean products lately. Some of them are very good and Asian skincare has a big focus on lightening and brightening without hydroquinone. Niaminicide is often associated with brightening and found in many products for that as is kojic acid. SkinActives has ingredients you can purchase and you can buy their base and add ingredients for your concern. I've been using Missha's Essence along with my HG Vit C from NCN and am seeing a lot of brightening and spot fading. I have two stubborn spots. One is under my right eye near the lower lash line. Very delicate area and this combination is fading it and with no irritation. Good luck!

I totally agree with BellaCarro. Check out Missha, Mizon, Etude House, Holika Holika and Skinfood. They are Korean companies, they do not use hydroquinone but have come up with more natural lightening products. There is a BB Cream on ebay called RiveCowe. I was fighting spots for a long time and it was my saving grace. I applied the RiveCowe on my spots before concealer. It is a white cream that lightens the spots before applying any other product. It is much easier to conceal a problem area when the spot is lighter. It also has long term whitening properties. The Koreans use flowers, herbs and roots to lighten. I also totally agree about vit c but I would also add some rose hip oil. I use rose hip twice a day by putting it on my left hand first and then dabbing it onto my face. I had a burn scar and spots on my left hand and they are no longer there. I am very pale BTW and the tinted JM is too dark for me. I can mix the white SPF with it to make it work though. Currently I do not need much mu but I do have Lioele Gel Foundation. It is Korean and it is a primer, foundation, concealer and powder all in one. I use Suntegrity 5-1 CC and JM for my SPF. I use the gel foundation as a concealer only. I have used it in place of the other CC when I am going somewhere special. It is buildable. You can also find it at lioeletexasdotcom.