Contributor

Any help for splitting nail?

I have one nail that as soon as it grows past the nail bed it splits..  i was told it was due to damage to the nail be itself and it will always do this.  I really want longer nails. Is there anything can i do?  I have tried gel nail polish that is cured under LED light but as soon a it gets past the bed it splits.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any help for splitting nail?

I have the same problem with one thumbnail. I've tried biotin and the other nails are hard and longer but it hasn't helped this one.

I've resorted to Sally Hanson polish since it doesn't have such bad things in it and use a fine buffer on top if it snags. 
It's more than annoying and if you learn anything that helps please post it for us!

Respected Contributor

Is the nail dry and getting brittle and breaking?   Sometimes it is not a matter of hardeners it is a matter of having enough hydration so the nail is flexible and does not break/split.

Super Contributor

Me too!  I finally got one splitting nail grown out and taken care of and then another nail started - two years ago!  It drives me nuts!  The only thing I know to do is keep the nail short and use a buffer that takes the ridges off to smooth it.  Then clear nail polish.  The little white line on your nail that indicates damage has finally grown out almost to the tip, so maybe this will soon be resolved.  Good luck!

Contributor

It doesnt seem to be dry/brittle. Maybe a little. But it is only my middle fingfr on right hand.  I do have hypothyroidism but i take meds and levels are good.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I had one for years like that and nothing helped. Now I have two. I put a nail tip on both. It's the only thing that prevents constant snagging.

Esteemed Contributor

May sound crazy but put a tad of KRAZY GLUE over the end of the nail - top and bottom.  Apparently the end of that nail is catching on fabric - your hair - your pet - sweater......whatever causing it to split.  I use to buy nail glue but that stuff is so weak = waste of money.  A fine application of a strong glue will protect nail end.

Trusted Contributor

@Kelseys Mimi wrote:

I have one nail that as soon as it grows past the nail bed it splits..  i was told it was due to damage to the nail be itself and it will always do this.  I really want longer nails. Is there anything can i do?  I have tried gel nail polish that is cured under LED light but as soon a it gets past the bed it splits.

I had a couple nails that used to split...but I have found 2 things that really work for me. 

The first thing is Sally Hanson Moisture Rehab strengthener.   I use it a couple times a week.   The other is a chamois nail buffer that you can get at Sally Beauty...it’s the one with a handle.   Between keeping my nails moisturized and buffing daily...my nails are strong and healthy looking.  I gave up on nail polish long ago.  

Valued Contributor

@fthunt  I use super glue too.

Honored Contributor

@Kelseys Mimi  You should look up what vitamins will help your nails.  It sounds like you are lacking certain vitamins that are causing this problem.  At least that is what I think.

kindness is strength