Respected Contributor

Any hairdressers here?? help!

I'm not sure what is going on with my hair, I'm hoping someone can tell me something. I'm 67, sporting gray hair. I've always had such good & manageable hair, until the last 1-2 months. I do have a much thinner (almost balding), spot right at my front hairline (on the side). I started using essential oils to help thicken the hair. It has helped, but the hair in that spot, has become extremely wiry, & fuzzy. My hair is generally on the dry side, so I've been using coconut oil all over, but that spot is still dry looking, & wiry. I only take depression meds, & have been taking for quite awhile. I only wash my hair about 1x weekly. What can I do for the wiry texture?? 

Valued Contributor

Re: Any hairdressers here?? help!

Hey Tx Starlight.For some reason I never look @ this thread but I thought tonight I would just see whats on.
I am a hairdresser.Sometimes I see this in people who are laid up for awhile on same side.(or who lay around alot)
But if that is not the case..of course there could be something missing in your vitamins or a new med?
More like a trial & error.Wish I could give you a simpler answer.
You could use a frizzese
or smoothing serum.Most lines have them.Think are different from essential.I know John Freida @ Walmart used to carry in his line.
Small amt or you will get wet look.Either to dry or wet hair.You can always reapply small amt.to calm down on non shampoo days.
I would make sure & condition that one area w/ maybe a deep conditioner for 10 min.
Hope it gets better.Take care.
Valued Contributor

I'm not a hairdresser. But I have gray hair that was incredibly dry no matter what I tried. First solution was Biotera renew leave-in silky milk. I ordered from amazon, but you can get it elsewhere. This will condition but not style.

What I like even better is Bumble & Bumble Bb hairdresser's invisible oil conditioner which is "6 featherlight oils to help soften,silken, tame, de-frizz, detangle and protect." It styles my hair as well as conditions and isn't at all oily like the name implies.

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

I'm not sure what is going on with my hair, I'm hoping someone can tell me something. I'm 67, sporting gray hair. I've always had such good & manageable hair, until the last 1-2 months. I do have a much thinner (almost balding), spot right at my front hairline (on the side). I started using essential oils to help thicken the hair. It has helped, but the hair in that spot, has become extremely wiry, & fuzzy. My hair is generally on the dry side, so I've been using coconut oil all over, but that spot is still dry looking, & wiry. I only take depression meds, & have been taking for quite awhile. I only wash my hair about 1x weekly. What can I do for the wiry texture?? 

@TX-starlight @I have the same issue. Sudden appearance of very wiry, fuzzy gray hair. So far, nothing has really helped. 

Honored Contributor

I have the exact same issues as you and am 68.  This has been going on with me for over a year now.  It's very distressing about the thinning hair thing.  I take various meds, one being a med for migraines, which is also used for seizures and I was told this could cause thinning hair.  I am on various other meds, too, so I believe this causes the issue, along with genetics.  This condition also happened to my mother and is happening with my sister as well.  You could check with your PC and/or dermatologist to see if they could help.  I just treat my hair gently.  I don't color my hair any longer, use moisturizing shampoo and conditioner and rarely use styling tools.  There are a vast number of anti-frizz products in stores.  I try a different one all the time.  None for me have really done all that much.  You can even try a bit of your hand lotion or cream, smooth it over your hands and just rub it lightly over your hair.  It does help somewhat!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Valued Contributor

I know its frustrating when hair changes.I tell customers there are lots of things that change as we get older!
Please give products a chance to work cause you spent hard earned money on it & sometimes it takes time for hair to become "used" to product.
Good luck.
Esteemed Contributor

Medications are notorious for hair thinning. That's one of the major side-effects of medications (esoecially statins, anti-depressants, anti-seizure and blood thinning medications). Do the doctors tell you this? Nope. When you ask, they'll say that "can" happen in some people. Well, it does, and it is distressing. I agree with the other poster - a nice hair serum might de-frizz a little. Grey hair is usually very wiry and dry. When hair loses pigment, it can change texture. 

Honored Contributor

Welcome to the world of gray hair and old age!  Woman Frustrated

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie  My hair has been gray for quite some time now. The frizzy & fuzzy has just started.