Respected Contributor

I've been coloring my hair (root touch ups) for probably 40 years.  All have applied the color to my roots only and then every so often lightly streak it through the rest of my hair.

I've been going to my current salon since right before Covid started.  They use what I think is a good brand of products.

The issue is that my hair starts lightening up after about ten days or so and by the time I have it done at the 4 week mark,it's so light that I'm almost a blonde.

Do some brands/lines hold to the hair longer than others?  I'm wondering if I should change salons and see what happens with another brand.  Any thoughts or suggestions??  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Any hair color pros here?

Are you using a top notch color protective shampoo?  It makes a difference for me with my red color, so I use only Nexxus or Biolage.

Honored Contributor

Use a sulfate free shampoo.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle 

I do

Respected Contributor

@Bridgegalmy hair also changes color very quickly, within 2 weeks. I always use sulfate free shampoo. Nothing I have tried stops the change. It also does not matter what color my  hair when I walk out of the salon it changes fast. I just learned that is what my hair does. Maybe someone has a solution.

Honored Contributor

Have you discussed it with your hairdresser?  Maybe a color depositing shampoo/conditioner occasionally between visits. 

For me, I color red, and red being the largest molecule of the natural hair colors, it's gonna fade.  I only use a sulfate-free shampoo, but since I also somewhat follow a curly girl method I only shampoo once a week and use a Co-wash on other days.  But, even then, I color my ends every time I do my roots. 

Per the instructions for the color I use, I use only a 10 vol peroxide on the ends vs 20 vol for the roots.  Another recommended method is to use a demi-permanent for the ends, but that would've required me to buy and maintain 2 sets of color.  The demi-permanent method is the gentlest on the hair and can also be used much like a color-depositing conditioner between colorings to maintain your color.

Honored Contributor

@Janey2 wrote:

@Bridgegalmy hair also changes color very quickly, within 2 weeks. I always use sulfate free shampoo. Nothing I have tried stops the change. It also does not matter what color my  hair when I walk out of the salon it changes fast. I just learned that is what my hair does. Maybe someone has a solution.

@Janey2 if your hair is more porous, the color will wash out more quickly. Some people just naturally have more porous hair than others I think, but damaged hair is also more porous.  Besides the fact that I color red as I mentioned above, I'm sure that the fact that I both color and perm causes damage that exacerbates the problem.  

If you've ever had your ends "grab" the color or be darker than the rest of your hair, that's a porosity problem.  My hairdresser mentioned that you can add conditioner to the ends before applying color to the length to prevent it, but you can also use a filler added to the color that goes on your length to help with the porosity problem which can also be due to heat damage, not just chemical processing.

I make it a point to do an Olaplex 1 & 2 treatment the first time I color after I get a perm and have been very impressed with the results.  I also often use Olaplex 0 & 3 midway between colorings.

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess  I have to use sulfate free and sodium chloride free products because I had a keratin hair straightening in April. As far as the Olaplex products they made my hair brittle and dry. My colorist gave me something called a superpac last time he colored my hair and that helped somewhat. I will discuss your other suggestions with him next time. Thank you

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Bridgegal  I stopped coloring now for over a year but I used to go to Madison Reed and have them do it for me. I was happy with it.

They sell color glosses and you can find one in your color range that will refresh your color and gives great shine.

Although I no longer color, and my gray is coming in; I still buy their clear gloss and it gives my hair a nice shine.

Check out their glosses on their website. I highly recommend them. 

@Icegoddess  Madison Reed calls what you described Hot Roots. They were great at making sure this didn't happen when I colored there.

Honored Contributor

@Bridgegal   This was the reason I finally let my hair grow out. For years, within two weeks the color was gone.  It didn't matter what I did or what color product was used.    My hairdresser recommended that I let it grow out...I have.  I learned to let go and acceptance.