Respected Contributor

Any dupe for Philosophy exfoliating scrub....so expensive.

I went into ulta and looked for something that might be just as good but less expensive.  A lot of the scrubs have an oily base.  The ulta assistant told me about one and I bought it and it is like scrubbing with glass.  Big rough granules in it.  I like the philosophy because it makes my face feel smooth and clean but so expensive.

Honored Contributor

Re: Any dupe for Philosophy exfoliating scrub....so expensive.

@chiclet wrote:

I went into ulta and looked for something that might be just as good but less expensive.  A lot of the scrubs have an oily base.  The ulta assistant told me about one and I bought it and it is like scrubbing with glass.  Big rough granules in it.  I like the philosophy because it makes my face feel smooth and clean but so expensive.

@chiclet  I'm not sure what you're referring to as Philosophy's exfoliating "scrub", unless you mean the Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash.  Here are a couple of suggestions.  Isomers has an exfoliating cleanser.  It gets a lot a positive reviews, but since they changed the exfoliating beads in it, there have been some complaints about them feeling more sharp.  Isomers response is to use less pressure.  You can read the reviews on Evine.  Rather than use an exfoliating cleanser every day, I use a gentle cleanser that doesn't have any exfoliation beads in it.  I do a separate exfoliation treatment with Eminence Strawberry Rhubarb Dermafoliant.  It's a rice-based powder with lactic acid, but is very gentle.  All you do is sprinkle some of the product in your hand, add a tiny bit of water (or toner) and it's ready to be applied.  On other days, I'll use my AM cleanser alone and follow up with an exfoliating treatment of Skinn's DermAppeal.  If you are sensitive to smells, I'd stick with the Eminence.  DermAppeal is an excellent product, but it's got a very strong menthol scent.  You can find the Eminence Strawberry Rhubarb Dermafoliant on Amazon for a pretty good price.  It comes in a shaker bottle so you decide how much to use.  The bottle lasts a pretty long time.  

Regular Contributor

Yes!  I used the Microdelivery Exfoliating wash for YEARS and have switched to Josie Maran's Argan Exfoliating Powder, #A262120. It lasts forever and does a much better job than the philosophy one. Never thought I'd switch, but this is great!  Just use a wee bit in the palm of your hand and add a few drops of water to your palm and apply to a wet face. I do mine in the shower in the morning and include my neck and upper chest area. A little goes a long way. Sometimes I'll also use her cleansing oil to moisten it and apply to a wet face. Love this stuff!

Respected Contributor

@chiclet I found mixing a little baking soda with Cetaphil cleanser is every bit as effective for me as the Philosophy...and a lot less expensive!

Respected Contributor

Baking soda is not good for the skin.  It's pH 9.  

Honored Contributor

@vermint wrote:

@chiclet I found mixing a little baking soda with Cetaphil cleanser is every bit as effective for me as the Philosophy...and a lot less expensive!

@vermint  Please reconsider.  Baking soda is not good for your skin.  In fact, there are warnings NOT to use it as an exfoliator because it disrupts the acid mantle.  There is a cumulative effect that can lead to damage over time.  

Respected Contributor

I haven't used the Philosophy. I buy aluminum oxide crystals (I bought mine from Garden Of Wisdom, but I will probably buy from amazon next) & mine are mixed with Mother Of Pearl Powder (Just because I had some). I either massage that mixture onto my wet skin or I mix some with my cleanser. I love it. It's inexpensive & I can adjust the scrub.

Respected Contributor

I've been searching for a dupe as well. Aveeno daily scrub is pretty good, but not as good. The beads are weak. Simple facial scrub smells bad and the beads are really big. I would not repurchase Simple. If you can find Philosophy on sale, it may be a good deal as Aveeno is about $1/oz. 

Honored Contributor

@chiclet wrote:

Which product is this - do you have the actual name? Philosophy makes make exfoliating scrubs for the face and body, so I don't know which you're trying to replace and that changes my recommendations.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch Thanks for the info...I did not know that! I only use it once a week, but will look for other options now.