Honored Contributor

Re: Any chance the Clarisonic is CAUSING blackheads and pimples?

I usually get into the shower after cleansing my face, so that would be a "hot" rinse. I haven't been using any antiseptic on the brush, just hot water and air dry. I'll try alcohol. I'm not oily at all, so I'm thinking pores are clogged with skincare or makeup. I've never been allergic to anything, but I experiment a lot. I'll buy some Biore pore strips for the blackheads, no squeezing for me.

Super Contributor

I wouldn't be surprised.

Trusted Contributor

I've written about this before so if the story sound familiar, skip over please. I bought one of the models including the body brush and more than one cleanser. Not inexpensive. I replaced the brushes as recommended every three months, and carefully made sure they were clean after using.

I kept getting huge cystic acne in the middle of my cheeks and on my jawline. I've never had this before - even in my teens. I'm in my fifties so this is REALLY not a good look at my age. I continued to read how the clarisonic was ridding my skin of built up impurities, etc. Finally, on the way the vacation after about 9 months my husband turned to me in the car and said "What the h+ll is going on with your face?" Huge realization - guess what was going on? My face cleared up almost instantly after I quit using that expensive, for me negative impacting, machine.

Trusted Contributor

I bought the Mia a couple years ago and used it a few times. Honestly, I did not feel it did anything for my skin that my gentle linen fabric can't do. I gave it away. I use my linen cloths with my cleansing wash every day and I know I am cleaning my face well.

I think all the hype about Clarisonic is just HYPE and that it is not such a great product.

Respected Contributor

I did have a Clarisonic and it broke my capillaries (very small)- my derm said no, use a soft washcloth. Lesson learned: Erno Laszlo-oil to break up makeup, exfoliate very gently w/black sea mud soap, and rinse 30 times. Anything that was congested has cleared out and my sensitive skin feels great.

Occasional Contributor

My dermie also gave this product a thumb's down. I didn't own the name brand version but a similar product and when I asked her for feedback on my routine, she told me to get rid of it.

She continued that she didn't recommend ANY products with scrubbing beads or exfoliating bits or any of the like (and not just for me). She recommended good ol' Cetaphil or Cervace and that was it. Wash your face morning and night with just your trusty hands and Cetaphil and follow up with Cetaphil cream (which is diff then their lotion). That and SPF every day regardless of what it looks like outside and good nutrition was her professional opinion.

She didn't buy into any of the gimmicks and had not even heard of a lot of the brands that are featured as 'a revolution in the industry'. Over the past year I have spent a fraction of what I was spending on all sorts of stuff. Cetaphil cream runs less than $10 and I even get the store brand of the face wash and I haven't looked back! Oh and my skin looks great.

The tub of Cetaphil is the cream and looks like the tub of Eucerin. It's NOT thick like Eucerin though so if you're ever wondered about it, it's a nice cream texture and I bathe my face in it before bed. Probably overkill but it does feel good and since it's not upwards of $100 (which I have spent on one thing before), I can really enjoy it and use it on my neck and chest too.

anyway....my two cents! as you can tell, it was like my own revolutionary discovery......!

Super Contributor

On 3/10/2014 aggravated said:

I've written about this before so if the story sound familiar, skip over please. I bought one of the models including the body brush and more than one cleanser. Not inexpensive. I replaced the brushes as recommended every three months, and carefully made sure they were clean after using.

I kept getting huge cystic acne in the middle of my cheeks and on my jawline. I've never had this before - even in my teens. I'm in my fifties so this is REALLY not a good look at my age. I continued to read how the clarisonic was ridding my skin of built up impurities, etc. Finally, on the way the vacation after about 9 months my husband turned to me in the car and said "What the h+ll is going on with your face?" Huge realization - guess what was going on? My face cleared up almost instantly after I quit using that expensive, for me negative impacting, machine.

I laughed when I read this -- sounds like something my husband would do...

ETA: And I had a bad experience with the clarisonic too. The texture of my skin got worse and worse. I finally realized what was causing it, so I reduced how often I used it. I finally gave it away when I didn't get any better.

Honored Contributor

I have very sensitive skin. I use make-up remover to get eye make-up off and then a gentle cleanser. I use the Clarisonic about twice a week and I am very careful to be gentle with it. I have had none of the other problems mentioned.

Super Contributor

After I remove any MU or normal dirt by cleansing, I use my Clarisonic, usually with a facial wash meant for my oily/combo skin and large pores. I do this maybe once or twice a week. My pores are totally cleared out and have shrunk considerably. I use a 2% BHA leave-on exfoliant and also use Perricone's pore treatment as part of my daily routine. My skin at 63 is beginning to look flawless.

What started the positive change in my complexion was to give myself masks or peels and then use my clarisonic and finish with serums and luxuorious gel moisturizer. The clarisonic has been totally fabulous for my face. Just a different perspective.

Respected Contributor

My Derm was the one who introduced me to the Clarisonic. I've had no problems in all the years I've been using it. At one point, after reading so many posts here complaining about issues the clarisonic caused them, I stopped using mine. Didn't like how my skin felt after just a few days of skipping. I put no pressure on my clarisonic as I use it. I hold it at the end of the handle and guide it as it glides on my skin.

Obviously not everything is for everyone, but I'll never give up my clarisonic.