Regular Contributor

Any Women of Color WEN Users Out There?

Hello, I'm new to WEN. I've seen the commercials for years (always entertaining). I've finally broken down and tried it. I'm interested in any pearls of wisdom for Black hair. My hair is natural. I've used it three times now - once a week. The first time I was ecstatic. Now, I'm not so sure. My scalp became very itchy after the second time. My ends, while admittedly not as dry as before, are still dry. Any recommendations?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any Women of Color WEN Users Out There?

Hi DrCEB! Welcome!

I'm natural also. I currently use Wen Fig, Wen Re Moist and Wen 613.

My scalp got itchy also, and at the suggestion of the Wenners, I oiled my scalp. I didn't have the patience to wait for the Wen oils to get delivered, so I used what I had.

Wen 613 strengthened my ends and Wen Fig when used as a leave-in stopped the dryness.

Wen works wonders over time, so be consistent. I've been using various formulas since September, but I have solely used Wen Fig since November.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

DrCEB, I must tell you, I am not AA, but I experienced the itchiness at the very beginning as well. Since you have only used Wen 3 times, definitely stick it out and see how it goes - AND, oil your scalp as HonnyBrown said. Welcome to Wen :-)
Respected Contributor

Hi DrCEB, I amAA and have been using WEN for about 2 yrs now. The first thing I would say is to make sure you watch the DVD orChaz's videos at Chazdean.com. I followed the instructions at first and wasn't getting what I needed until I foundthe videos. Due to our extreme need for moisture, our basic instructions are different. This could be why you are experiencing the scalp issue. Definitely use the oils though. I experienced major hair growth after incorporating especially Tea Tree oil into my routine.
Happy WEN Girl since 1/12/2012
Esteemed Contributor

I would recommend watching the videos, and also watching Chaz when he makes his appearances on QVC. Possibly, even contacting his studio. I have never called, but he mentions often about contacting if you have questions.

Our hair requires moisture. I actually cleanse every 3-4 days, just for that reason. I have experimented with different Cleansers as well. Tea Tree & Fig I believe to be the essential core cleansers for our hair. I also mix in 613 every third cleanse.

Although, I use the seasonals I would suggest that you stay away from them at this time since you are experiencing dryness. I have found that I have to use Fig with the Seasonals for proper moisture.

I also oil my scalp and hair twice a week. I have been using the product for about six-seven months. It has been by trial and error that I am starting to feel more comfortable with my regimen. I would encourage you to stick with it. I still go to my old hairstylist every three months just for her do a wet set and trim any split ends. My last two visits have shown, great growth and she does not even charge me to trim. She tells me I have nothing to trim and she does a dusting as she calls it. I hope this offers you encouragement and suggestions.

Contributor

Hi - Welcome

I'm a WOC and I've been using WEN for about 5 years now and I absolutely love it. It does take a bit of time to find the right combo for you but once you find it, your hair will love it. I agree with Icezeus, our hair needs more moisture. I find the best mix for me is Tea Tree on the scalp (good for dry/itchy scalp) and then Fig or Lavender for the ends and mid shafts. I use the rinse and repeat method and make sure that I add enough water so that its frothy. I really make sure to take the time out to work the product through my ends and after my last wash, I add a little 613 and then leave it overnight and rinse in the morning. I also use the oils on my scalp, the night before to hydrate and prep my scalp. I use Tea Tree oil on my scalp and it has eliminated my dandruff completely and has regrown hair in thinning spots. I also use the Fig oil on my ends and mid-shaft. I've also been adding a little bit of the cleansing conditioner to my ends each day to hydrate my ends and I'm really liking the results.

Regular Contributor

Thank you, Thank you ALL. Your comments have been really helpful and encouraging. I admit I was getting a little concerned, especially when you start seeing all the negative comments.

One thing, I am confused about is the idea of adding the oil. I have watched the videos many times. To me it doesn't make sense to wash your hair and add the leave-in, oil your scalp, then rinse it out in the morning. Are you then, doing it again and leaving it in? That makes it twice that you're adding the oil?

Esteemed Contributor

For me, I use silicones (synthetic oils) to seal moisture into my hair. Oils are used for the same thing but don't last as long as silicones do; therefore less moisture retention.

When you use oils on you scalp, they get absorbed and may leave a residue. That's what you are washing away.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Super Contributor

Hi, I'm not AA but when you use the oils , you put it in the night before you cleanse your hair and leave the oil in over night then cleanse it out the next morning. You don't cleanse first, you use it on your dry hair.
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

Angel1948 is correct. I oil my hair the night before I cleanse.