Super Contributor

Any Suggestions for a Natural/Organic Finishing Powder?

[ Edited ]

Hello, everyone,

I'm looking for a finishing powder to include in my new natural/organic makeup routine. I'd prefer it to be mattifying (but not drying), as I have an oily nose/T zone. Also, as an FYI, I do have acne prone skin, so I would need something that does not clog pores. Reading over this, it sounds like a tall order, but any suggestions? Thanks so much! 

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any Suggestions for a Natural/Organic Finishing Powder?

Cornstarch?

This is from Paula Begoun:

Starch obtained from corn and sometimes used as an absorbent in cosmetics instead of or alongside talc. Generally, in powders corn starch lends a silky but dry feel and some find it is better at absorbing excess oil without looking cakey than pure talc-based powders. Cornstarch is also used as a thickening agent in skin-care products.

Also, some clay based powders, or the clays themselves may provide what you are looking for.

This is from Garden of Wisdom: 

White Kaolin Clay is found in virtually all powdered and dry cosmetics and most wet cosmetics.

Its natural adsorbent properties makes it essential in hygiene products and is often found in soaps, scrubs, poultices, deodorants, facial powders and masks. It is the mildest of all clays and is suitable to add to products created for people with sensitive skin. It helps stimulate circulation to the skin while gently exfoliating and cleansing it. It does not draw oils from the skin, so it can also be used on dry skin types without negative results.

Kaolin Clay is high in calcium, silica, zinc and magnesium, which are beneficial for oily, blemished skin. The clay's mildly drying and disinfectant properties help heal existing blemishes and inflammations, while preventing new ones from forming. It can also be used as a scent fixative.

Traditionally, clays are used to reduce swelling and inflammation, and to draw impurities from the skin. Cosmetic clays are made up of different mineral contents, and each clay type has a different effect on the skin. The high mineral content of White Kaolin Clay rejuvenates the skin while the clay exfoliates and stimulates blood circulation to the skin. Regular use of clay facials will remove dead skin cells, improve circulation to the skin, remove debris from the pores and bring about a smooth healthy glow.

Contributor

I love the raw finishing powder from Gourmet Body Treats. Nice matte finish, disappears into skin,really lasts. It is $29. Vegan and cruelty free with an amazing ingredient deck!
Trusted Contributor

I don't know if you have any natural grocery stores near you, but they are a good place to look. I used to use Zuzu Luxe powder (contains kaolin clay and no talc or silicones) and was able to purchase from local stores easily and getting a good color match. Whole Foods also have a variety of cosmetics now and I've purchased many from the brand Pacifica that I like (no finishing powder though).

I avoid all dimethicone/silicones because it makes me breakout (like clockwork) anytime I use it. It is in so many moisturizers, powders, foundations...it forms a barrier on your skin so though it apparently doesn't clog pores, it seems to "trap" the other ingredients in my pores and cause end-of-day pimples. I've successfully avoided it for almost two years and my skin is grateful!
Valued Contributor

HI !

I really like W3ll people they are organic with ingredients like aloe, green tea . They have great finishing powders including a matte  . I am 52 with still oily acne prone skin and I really like their BIO BRightener finish powder . It gives my skin a beautiful glow even on its own . It softens and blurs so , my large pores don't look as noticible . You can order from their website and places like Birchbox 

best of luck !!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thank you, everyone! What great suggestions.

@Harpa: I have heard of cornstarch being used before. That's probably as pure as you can get! I need to look to see whether it's comedogenic, or for any information on its use on acne prone skin. Before trying Alima Pure's finishing powder, I used Tarte's Smooth Operator, which has kaolin as one of the ingredients. I like the idea of using that in a powder. Thank you for all of that wonderful information!

@siennasoleil: I've never heard of that brand. I'll check them out. It sounds like it ticks all the boxes. Thanks for the tip!

@Mrsq2022: I feel the same as you about silicones. Plus, when my nose got oily, it used to look like a shiny, rubbery, plastic film from the silicones in either my makeup or some powders, which I don't find attractive at all. I stopped using Mally's Face Defender because it gave me little bumps around my nose--it's just a blend of silicones, so it must have trapped some nasty stuff on my face and caused a reaction. I have a Trader Joe's about 30 minutes from me and a Whole Foods further out, so I'll look into Zuzu Luxe, and if it sounds like something I'd like to try, I'll take a trip. I have an eyeshadow palette from Pacifica that I love! I've tried their lotions, but I can't find a scent I like! I've also tried a few of their lip products, but have been disappointed in the pigmentation. I'm trying to avoid silicones now, too, so I hope I have great results, as you have!

Hi, @marmarbrooklyn! I tried 2 shades of W3LL PEOPLE's mineral foundation almost a month ago when I first decided to go on my natural/organic skin care and makeup journey. The shades ran so terribly orange, that I literally looked like an Oompa Loompa! I was so disappointed, because I loved the ingredients. I'll look into the Bio Brightening Powder. I loved the softening and blurring effect that Tarte's Smooth Operator Powder had, so if this does the same (which it sounds like it does), it'll be a home run. Thanks!

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

@siennasoleil wrote:
I love the raw finishing powder from Gourmet Body Treats. Nice matte finish, disappears into skin,really lasts. It is $29. Vegan and cruelty free with an amazing ingredient deck!

@siennasoleil I just bought this on eBay. The ingredients are impressive! I couldn't find many reviews on it, but what I did find was pretty complimentary. Thanks for the suggestion!

I haven't given up on kaolin, @Harpa. I read some things about cornstarch possibly breeding bacteria in pores, so I'm passing on that. Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Contributor

You're welcome! I hope it works as well for you as it has for me Smiley Happy