Honored Contributor

Re: Any Product Really Help with Brown Spots?

@ElvisShops wrote:

I have brown spots (melasma, hyperpimentation, whatever) on my cheeks. Is there a product that really helps? I have used retin a and retinols for years. I can't see that they have made any difference. Smiley Sad

@ElvisShops   I use Obagi Blender mixed with my Retin A at night. It was not available for awhile because it contained hydroquinone. It’s now been reformulated and works just as well. Vit. C serum in the mornings also helps in the fading process.

Honored Contributor

@ElvisShops  - Maybe use something topical while you're researching laser options?  Perhaps something will help you before going the laser route. 

Honored Contributor

@ElvisShops THIS! It’s the only product I have re-orderd because it works so well & it’s only $29!

476AA09F-C659-4D31-8460-3243715F6356.jpeg

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ElvisShops wrote:

I hate to be out the expense of lasers, but they may indeed be the best option. Have any of you heard of the PicoSure laser? I might go for a consultation.

I appreciate your responses. 

@ElvisShops ,

That laser is a fractional type laser which is used more for resurfacing, wrinkle reduction and tattoo removal. With fractional lasers there is virtually no down time because the laser is not designed to go deep into the skin. Fractional laser treatments require several visits to your derm, normally spaced a month apart. Removing melasma using this kind of laser is not going to give you totally clear skin and most treatments will require you to go back at some point in the future when the same dark spots return. Results are really hit or miss.

I would recommend asking your derm about a CO2 type laser. With this type of laser there is usually some down time, meaning redness, swelling and bruising. But the results are most likely very long term if not permanent. This is the kind of laser I had used on a couple of stubborn brown spots that I couldn't get rid of any other way. After the CO2 laser treatments the spots never came back. 

Most derm laser consultation fees run anywhere from $50 to $100, depending on where you live. In some cases that fee can be reduced if you confirm a laser treatment appointment with them, but don't expect a huge discount. Laser treatments on average cost around $250 per visit then after that they can go down in price to around $150 a visit. Ask about 'packgage deals' when you go for your consult. The CO2 laser treatments may not take more than one or two depending on how dark and deep your spots are. Good luck. Woman Happy 

Honored Contributor

Are you also using SPF fifty trillion along with your treatments? Every day inside or outside cloudy or sunny? If so, brava and sorry for any assumptions.

If not, spf is even more crucial than the actives that reduce the discoloration. You can undo a treatment in a single afternoon if you go spf naked. 

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@ElvisShops  My aunt uses cannabis oil for her dark spots and has noticed good results. We live in California where it's easy to get from a dispensary.

I asked one of the doctors I work with to check out one of my raised dark spots. He said that it didn't have any of the requirements for melanoma. I told him I thought that but wanted a second opinion. He said that it's just a spot from getting older. I didn't want to hear that! Woman LOL @SurferWife  It might be time for me to give that Paula's Choice product a try.

Trusted Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Are you also using SPF fifty trillion along with your treatments? Every day inside or outside cloudy or sunny? If so, brava and sorry for any assumptions.

If not, spf is even more crucial than the actives that reduce the discoloration. You can undo a treatment in a single afternoon if you go spf naked. 

@Porcelain I agree 100% that protection from uv is crucial -- rain or shine. I have worn sunblock since the 80s and am pretty religious about it, usually SPF 30. I also wear hats and avoid the sun as much as possible, as I really don't like sunlight, which I'm sure sounds odd. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

Yay @Porcelain !!

Trusted Contributor

@SurferWife wrote:

@ElvisShops THIS! It’s the only product I have re-orderd because it works so well & it’s only $29!

476AA09F-C659-4D31-8460-3243715F6356.jpeg

Thank you - I will add it to my next order.

Esteemed Contributor

NRe: Any Product Really Help with Brown Spots?

[ Edited ]

if you do lighten them, you need to be really vigilant with sunscreen every day, rain or shine, summer or winter or they will return.  They might anyway.  You really have to keep on top of them.