Honored Contributor

Re: Any Nail Techs Here - I need advice (gel polish)

when I had gels years ago, 

I let them grow out and filed down as they grew out. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have gel too and the last time they were done was Feb 17th. I had to cancel my March 9th appt (I go every 3 weeks) because I was sick. I rescheduled but then they got the order to shut down. They have at LEAST a quarter inch, actually probably more of growth. I've been trying to slowly file down the gel part where it meets my real nails and smooth it down to real nail level. And they're so long! I'm afraid to start clipping the ends as I'll probably wreck the nice smooth roundness of the shaping.

This thread has helped a lot in finding a way to work with them and get it all off. Heaven only knows what shape my nails underneath are in. Well I've got to do SOMETHING. I appreciated reading this thread and it gives me courage to start tackling it really good and get it over with.

Editing to say........I was just thinking.....you knowhow  they use that buzzery thing, that dremel kind of thing, to take down the gel when you go for a fill? I'm seriously thinking of trying my Emjoi Micro Pedi on them to buff them down. It's something rough that spins.....hmmm. I might try it on my small finger for starters.

Regular Contributor

@shaggygirl  I'm going to start responding at the end of your post. I wouldn't recommend attempting to file off the gel, particularly using anything not designed for that purpose. Even licensed nail techs are responsible for lots of nail damage during the removal process. E-files (that's what the equipment they use are called) vary in quality and take practice to use properly. Hopefully, most techs are able to do their initial learning on maniquin hands specifically designed for learning manicure techniques.

Do you know whether you have hard gel or soak-off gel? (It's also possible to have a thin layer of soak-off gel under the hard gel.) Hard gels must be filed off. A soak-off gel can be soaked off with acetone, tho an experienced tech may be able to remove the bulk of it more quickly with an e-file.

Do you have a way to contact your regular tech and ask for removal suggestions? I've read that at least some techs are putting together small kits to aid their regulars in removal. 

The filing you've been doing is an reasonable first step. Just be extremely careful not to be filing away layers of your actual nail plate, thus thinning the new visible nail growth. Any thinned area will have to grow out. And fingernails can take up to six months to completely grow out. 

But you also need to be shortening the length. One thing that your nail tech is doing when you go for your regular appointment is doing any re-balancing needed. This brings us to why you do need to shorten your nails, even if you don't shape them perfectly. I found this article that explains it better than I could:  http://pronailtraining.blogspot.com/2015/09/rebalancing-nails-fills.html  

Assuming you have clippers that will clip through them, I would do some careful clipping first, then file until they're presentable. If you have to do it all with a file, then do it carefully, beginning with a course file. Remember the structure of your nail is currently weak.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@juperier3 

Bless your heart for taking the time to explain so thoroughly to me. One would think after all the years I've been getting these nails done I'd know exactly what I have. When I go every 3 weeks she shortens them for me with a file and uses that tool you called an E-File to buzz off my polish and smooth them out. Then if I remember correctly.......oh cripes I could be remembering wrong especially since I've been having this hombre or ombre, however you spell it for several months and that might change the routine....

Anyhow I THINK she applies gel and I go in the ultra-violet box followed by the gel polish and more ultra-violet followed by a clear coat of I don't know what....regular polish or more gel and back in the box. I know I'm in and out of that ultra-violet box several times. I must be spending too much time running at the mouth while there to have it down pat. A lot of yapping goes on because other ladies have standing appointments the same day & time as me so we've gotten to know each other and talk while being done. 

She has my number but I don't have hers.....darn it. Today I'm going to work on shortening them. Got some double sided salon type files, a coase side and less coarse yet not totally smooth side and if that doesn't work will try clipping then shaping them then figure out what my next move is. 

Again, I thank you, you are very kind and I will check out that link you gave me. And by the way, if you are right handed it's easy working on your left hand but not so easy working with your left hand on your right hand. And vice versa...lol.

Regular Contributor

@shaggygirl   I'm glad I can help a bit! The nerd in me loves the "why" and the "how."

I don't think it's at all unusual for you to not know exactly what was used. In fact I just listened to a video touching on why nail techs don't want to fill (or otherwised work on) another tech's work. One major reason was that not knowing the quality of the previous tech's work as well as what products were used (quality and compatibility) makes guaranteeing the new work kind of iffy.

As long as you're happy with the results, aren't suffering nail damage and enjoy the other tech (and other regular clients), knowing the specifics of wheter it's hard or soak-off gel, or acrylics for that matter, isn't all that critical. Different techs have different preferances and are likely more experienced in whatever they prefer, but all can be used safely.

I found that article by sheer luck. But it gives a basic explanation of the physics behind shaping. If you, or anyone else, is interested, I've found some simple-ish explanations of the chemistry involved in these products. Makes me wish I didn't get so turned off/intimidated by science way back in high school!

I'm right-handed also. It took me a long, long time to get to where I could easily paint the nails on my right hand. And even longer before I could actually get on polish without needing a fair amount of clean-up. Adnother reason not to all of a sudden begin using something turning several thousand revolutions per minute!